It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
(female)

charpo HB User
Chantix

I just got the prescription filled for Chantix. I haven't started taking it yet. I'd like to hear more information from anyone taking this or who have taken it. I see some posts on it but not many or else I'm not looking at the right area. Please give me any input you have on it

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
(female)

beachgal01 HB User
Re: Chantix

I started smoking when I was 14 years old. I am now 48. I LOVED to smoke - the taste, the smell, the feeling. Never imagined I'd quit!!!
But then the price of cigarettes in Delaware increased 60 cents a pack over night. I decided that I was NOT going to allow my wallet to be abused by my government in that way!!

I started my prescription on Aug 31, 2007. I quit smoking on Sept 4, as directed on the pack. I lit a couple cigarettes since then, but really did not enjoy the smoke, so I put them out!

Today is October 11, 2007, and I have quit! I stepped down from the pills; after forgetting to take my evening pill for three days in a row, I took only a morning pill for two weeks. This week I stopped taking the morning pill. I feel GREAT! You can do this ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

In the interest of clarity, I want to add the following:

I had very few ill effects from Chantix.
1. The first few days, I had a bit of queasiness after taking the morning pill. After that, I made sure to have some food (slice of peanut butter toast) and a FULL glass of water, and I had no further belly problems.
2. I had VIVID dreams for the first two weeks. The dreams were not disturbing in any way - they were just really vivid. The colors were brighter, the noises were louder, and I remembered the dreams when I woke up.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

angua HB User

I have been smoke free for 8 days now with chantix. I also found that food or even milk with the pill helps with the nausea. I had one episode of agitation/anger on day 2. Other than that I have been fine. Food doesn't seem to taste as good but I am eating lots of cnady,gum,popcicles,carrots and apples with lots of water.
I am also having dreams that I remember more than usual. While they are not bad/scary dreams they are not GOOD dreams. I keep dreaming that I quit smoking and I keep finding cigarettes!!! grrr.
I made sure there were no cigarettes in my house at all. I probably would have tried one if there were. They did start to taste bad. It was like the nicotine in them was not giving me relief. Other than the 2nd day of agitation I think maybe the chantix has kept me calmer. I should have been much more snappy and grumpy. When I quit before I yelled and complained a lot. I even cried one time. I have a pretty calm life right now too so maybe that is it.
Each day gets easier. The first 3 are the hardest. Cravings get further apart and MUCH milder.
I keep trying to stay positive about not smoking. I am also doing this for MYSELF. My health. So far it is working!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
(female)

jenn_516 HB User

OK, call me crazy. I am on Day 2 of taking Chantix. I smoked yesterday and I smoked maybe about 4 cigs today. I just finished eating dinner and we all know how a GOOD it feels to smoke after your tummy is full...but I dont feel like going outside to have one. I guess that is a good thing, surely it must all be in my head. I wouldnt think Chantix would work that fast.

As far as the side effects. I already have spells of nausea. I could not go to sleep to save my life last nite. Once I did go to sleep I had a crazy dream of a black panther and some monkeys chasing me down some road trying to bite me. Come to think of it, I do not think I did a #2 potty yesterday or today...so thats another side effect. Not that you all really wanted to know but hey...now you know!

Also, what I find really weird is that I started my period today. Now keep in mind I got my period when I was 14 and have always stayed regular (to the date). I am now 30. Anyways, make a long story short, I started my period today (a week and a half early). I havent been able to find any other messages concerning this so maybe it is just one of those freak things.....or maybe it is the Chantix.

OK, well good luck to all. Remember, even though these side effects suck...it is still worth it in the long run. They are not permanent!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

It is November 1. My quit date was on September 4th, I stopped taking Chantix on October 11. I feel great, and continue to be thrilled to be a non smoker! Yahoooo!

By the way, there are times when I would LOVE to have a cigarette. I reckon that since I smoked for 34 years, that might happen on occassion! The thing is ... I have been able to resist the urge!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
(female)

Heather75 HB User

Well, I feel like I am going crazy (literally) Unsure of how much longer I may be able to take the Chantix. I love how it makes me not want a cigarette but I don't like feeling the way I am feeling

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Closed Thread