It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

kimmi1970 HB User
Hello

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board, just found it about 20 minutes ago with a ****** search and started reading some of the posts. What got me interested was some of the topics regarding Chantix. I have been considering this method for about 6 months now. My hygenist at the dentist office first brought it up to me. Since then I've been doing some research and haven't actually been to speak with my doc personally. I have been smoking for ...I'm ashamed to say....22 years : ( I have quit 3 times, but something always pulled me back. I have tried cold turkey, the patch, and Wellbutrin...none of which have worked. I have two young children, the oldest of whom would love to see me quit. Just wanted to introduce myself as I think I have found a place to come for education and support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

jenn_516 HB User
Re: Hello

Hi Kimmie,

I am fairly new to this website myself. Well, sounds like you have tried everything else in the book to try and quit smoking, so why not try the Chantix. It is worth a shot! I have been on it for 5 days now and it is working. You can still smoke during the first week you are on it, which is good because I still need a smoke now and again. I find that I am smoking less and less though. I even went for a whole day without smoking. It is a pretty cool drug. I am trying to quit for my kids too. You would think just by them saying "mommy please quit" would be enough motivation, but it is hard. Of course my girls are young and don't understand the concept of addiction. Anyways, so far I have had mild side effects to it. Had some nausea, trouble sleeping, and some weird dreams.

So, I say go for it...what have you got to lose? Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

kimmi1970 HB User

Hi Jenn-

Thanks for the supportive words. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to respond to my post : ) I am seriously considering the Chantix, but some of the side effects I've read about scare me a little. You say you've been on it for 5 days........would you mind keeping me posted over the next couple of weeks as to how things go for you??? I did call my doc and set up an appt.....it's not until Dec. 6th though. I can't believe how long I have to wait before I can see her!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

Heather007 HB User

Hi kimie
I am really new here to, and I like you came here on a search and found some really interesting answers to alot of the question's i had. I am on Day 5 of Chantix. I had previously quit for 6 months once doing accupunture which really helped, but it wares off and you have to keep going and it gets expensive which lead me back to smoking. My husband and I are looking to start a family soon and I want to be as healthy as i can before i bring a child into the world.

So far here is what I have been expierencing.

Days 1-3: Fantastic-mild nassau (went away after a few mint) (i would assume this is like a moring sickness feeling to most moms), a bit wired (all bout energy), went to bed normal (had very HDTV (clear) dreams) nothing to dramatic.
Day 4- Thats when you are supposed to take 2 pills. Not a good day at all. I had flu like symptoms (was in bed all day) anxiety, rubbery legs, tunnel vision and just wanted to lay in bed.
Today Day 5- Felt jittery like I just taken a shot of expresso this morning, wired. Its now almost 2:00, and I feel like I am coming off a caffeine high. I have a headache and im tired.
Is this enough to make me stop taking it? Im not ready to give up yet, cause with that being said I havent had a single cig in 72 hours. U can smoke up to 8 days prior to your quit date, and I haven't had the urge (which is also what scares me about this product). I have lost the urge, and more or less now its the habit that needs to be changed.

well thats enough of my rambling. I say go for it. If you have it in you to stick it out especially for your childrens sake than do it

Old 10-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

Mary Annie HB User

Hi All, Another newbie on board! I also started taking Chantix 7 days ago. After smoking for 40+ years my husband and I decided to try quitting again. We tried the patch a few years ago to no avail. However, we did cut our smoking in half. Tomorrow is supposed to be our quit day but I've only had one cig so far - not really any desire to smoke. They don't even taste good any more. I've had very mild side effects, slight nausea and headache, which only last a few minutes. Oh yeah, and cool dreams! They aren't vivid like they were with the patch, just neat - I can't wait to go to sleep at night!
Hope we all hang in there and quit this discusting, nasty habit. And let's give each other a pat on the back for getting this far. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
(female)

Heather007 HB User

I must admit that is still what freaks me out about this drug. How amazing it is. I haven't had a smoke in 4 days. Im not even at my quit day yet, which is tomorrow, and I haven't had any urges. Still have side effects, hoping they will subside once I get more into the program. But so far they aren't anything I can't handle. They do go away.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
(female)

kimmi1970 HB User

Hi Heather and Mary Annie!

Heather, thanks for the details of your first 5 days. I've read a lot about the nausea and feeling really sick. More people than not seem to go through this when they have to increase the pills to two a day. Some have said they have reduced back down to one and are still doing well.......maybe if you keep feeling really bad you can reduce back down to one a day and still be successful! I really am amazed by what I've read about this drug so far......seems almost too good to be true, which scares me.

Mary Annie, I wish you and your hubby lots of luck!! Keep me posted as to your progress.

I called my doc this morning to see if I could get an appt any sooner than December (ugh!) just to talk about the Chantix. So I now have an appt for Oct. 31!!! I'm hoping to pick a quit date the first week of November. I need to learn more about the Chantix though. I've read that you can keep smoking or should for the first couple of days?...is this correct? Anyway, I hope all goes well oct. 31st!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
(female)

Mary Annie HB User

Hi Kimmie and Heather, well it's day 8 and I started the blue pill today and so far haven't had a cig. But, I'm starting to crave one so I thought I'd check and see how you guys were doing and then I'm going to hit the treadmill!! I was kind of leary about starting the blue chantix, after what I'd read, but I've decided not to read about anymore peoples complaints and go with my experience. My husband works with alot of people who've taken it and swear by it. So, I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you guys and will go forward from here.
Kimmie, I'm so glad you moved up your appt. You'll be surprised by how well this works. Determination is the first step!! You can follow Heather and my lead!!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
(female)

Heather007 HB User
Smile Re: Hello

So glad to hear they were able to move your appt up. Thats fantastic news! Well today is supposed to be Quit Day! In my mind I really quit a week ago. I haven't had a cig in a week. I do know exactly what you mean though Mary Annie. Yesterday and today I suddenly feel urges to smoke! I don't know maybe it's the withdrawl going through my body, I just keep remebering your brain holds a thought for 30 seconds. So I pop a piece of gum in and it goes away. Tomorrow I start the blue pills! I am nervous about taking them. See I have the anxiousness side effect so I have only been taking one pill a day instead of two because I get very wired and if I took two I wouldnt sleep. I was also thinking though if I am only taking one and don't smoke then I should be fine. I will let you know how tomorrow goes, funny story though yesterday after lunch one of new co-workers lit up a cig, and as she got into the elevator I smelled the smoke on her clothes and realized how horrible i must have smelled all those times. Which makes me more determined to beat the odds and not smoke again. Keep up the good work I will check in tomorrow!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
(female)

Mary Annie HB User

Hi girls, How's it going? I'm still hanging in there. Last night I thought I'd go crazy with craving. So I did deep breathing and that helped for a while. Then my husband told me to drink water and that made a huge difference. I don't know why, must flush out your system or something. Anyway it sure helped me. I did cheat-yesterday I smoked 2 cigs but it didn't even satisfy the craving so why bother, right? That's just the physical habit of smoking I guess. So, we'll see what the rest of today brings! Keep in touch, okay?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hello! I started Chantix in August, quit smoking on 9/4, cut back to 1 pill daily on 9/27, quit taking Chantix all together on 10/10.

After 34 years, I am so very proud to say I am a non smoker. Side effects (headachey days, slight belly issues, late can't fall asleep nights, remembering vivid dreams) were not bad enough to stop taking Chantix.

Although not a fan of pharmaceutical companies who try to hold back on side effect information, I do recommend that those who really want to quit try to stick it out with Chantix. I am shocked at how easy it was for me to quit.

All the side effects combined don't come close to the damage of one cigarette!! Good luck, everyone. You can quit!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
(female)

jenn_516 HB User

Hey Kimmie,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. OK well I am on Day 8 now. My stomach hurt the first couple days. Nothing severe, pretty mild, but enough to where you dont really feel like eating. I was extremely tired too. Not sure if that was because I couldnt fall asleep (which is a side effect) or if it was the Chantix. Anyways, after that, I started getting energized and the nausea went away. I do get mild headaches and sometimes have a hard time concentrating at work. It really has helped on the cravings though. I mean, I still occasionally crave a cig but as long as I dont do something that triggers me to think about smoking, I dont think about it. When I do think about it, I try to tell myself that I really don't need the cig and eventually it goes away.

OK, well, my Mom has been bugging me about stopping Chantix because of all the Chantix causes violence, depression, aggression media talk. I dont know if there is a correlation or not. We all know how we can get when we are going thru nicotine withdrawals so maybe that is what is causing it.

Anyways, I am going to continue to take it. The side effects sort of make the days a bit longer and make the days a bit more uncomfortable, but to me it is worth it.

I am at the point where I am taking 1MG in the AM and 1MG in the PM. This is WAY too much for me to handle. I cut them in half and space them out every 4 hours. This keeps the side effects to a minimum and not so intense.

OK well, I have to go now. Hope my info helps you. Good Luck! Let me know how you do.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
(female)

daisycutter HB User

Kimmie, any doctor can prescribe Chantix, so if you have a gynecologist I would ask him/her. Smoking causes cervical cancer (which is why I'm trying to quit, because they discovered stage 1 cervical cancer and smokingis my only risk factor). If you have a dermatologist, they might even prescribe it (quitting help your skin) or even a sports doctor. It's worth a try. Chantix doesn't work overnight anyway, so don't drag out the process. And don't be ashamed of how long you've been smoking. I've been smoking since I was 12. Is that not the most white-trash thing you've ever heard of?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #14
(female)

Heather007 HB User

I'm on day 8 today, and so far I have been nicotine free for 1 week! I decided to go shopping last night, for the amount I would have spent on a carton I bought two pairs of shoes. Ok so I traded one addiction for another.lol. Im a girl Shopping is in the blood. Cravings were there all day yesterday, but I fought them off. I can say the hardest thing is sitting at my desk all day, and not going downstairs to smoke. If I go downstairs to take a break I immediatly want to light up out of habit. But sitting upstairs at my desk all day is making me nuts. So I was chatiing with another woman who recently just came back from maturnity leave and is looking for a walking partner around the parking lot at work. Perfect timing. So I can change the reason of WHY i go downstairs from smoking to just getting fresh air and a walk. See how that goes. Enjoy the day. Remeber even if you slip up tomorrow you can start all over again. Quitting is a process.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
(female)

kimmi1970 HB User

Hi ladies~

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good so far. I've started to try and cut back on the cigs a little in anticipation of my doc appt this Wed. Not cutting back as much as I would like but hey, every little bit helps! Getting ready to run to Costco and buy gum in bulk..ha ha ha. Jenn, Heather, Mary Annie....keep me posted as to how things are going. I'm rootin for ya!!!! My daughter's 10th birthday is tomorrow and I need to start preparing for her party. You ladies have a great Friday!

Closed Thread