It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
(male)

allen1466 HB User
My Experience w/ Chantix

Hello Everyone,

I have quit smoking with the help of Chantix and the everyday fear of my girlfriend leaving me. That is why I quit smoking. I did enjoy smoking.

I think I had the same effects as everyone else. Nausea. I had to eat big meals in the morning and night so the nausea was light. I drank lots of water with the pill. They say to drink 8 oz., I drank like 32 oz of water. Beyond that, it was a good experience.

I smoked for over 20 years. I took the pills while I smoked for the first month. I made a target date and missed by 3 days. The first week was the hardest, but not like quitting cold turkey. The days went by easier and easier and now it's been 2 months since I smoked. I think the next hardest thing was when I quit taking Chantix. The 2 weeks after I quit taking it, I has the hardest person to live with. Emotional wreck! My girlfriend told me to go back on the medicine. I told her I will have to quit sooner or later, make you choice.

The doctor told me to take Chantix for 6 months. FORGET THAT!

If you know someone who wants to quit smoking, Chantix will help. But you have to have the "WILL" and "WANT" to quit smoking.

Take it only as long as you need. Nothing further.

Smoking is a mind habit. Out of sight, out of mind.

Allen D.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
(female)

kimmi1970 HB User
Re: My Experience w/ Chantix

Hi Allen,

Congrats on your progress. You brought up a good point, I hadn't thought about the "after Chantix" issues that could come up. Were the mood swings your only issue when going off Chantix? Did you slowly cut back on the pill or just stop one day? TIA!!

very nice to meet you and keep up the good work!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

wrongwayagain55 HB User

Congrats on your quit.

I recently had a setback, smoked for a few days, but i am continuing taking the pill, i WANT to quit, just had some pretty bad news handed to me a couple of days ago. Going to my daughters in a few days, and cannot smoke there, so i am hoping that will be my salvation and get me on the right track again. plus my sister is staying with me during my recoup period from surgery and she smokes, which is making it harder. gosh, am i weak or what?
anyway, congrats again.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Hi there everyone! Tomorrow will be 5 weeks of no smoking for me. Sounds like we are on the right track. Congrats to all.
I check my blood pressure when I am out and about and for the last 3 weeks, it has been borderline high. I finally called my dr. and he said it was unlikely I would have a stroke or heart attack (glad he thinks so) and he wishes I would continue to take Chantix and not smoke. I told him I wasn't smoking and I didn't want to quit the Chantix yet, but wanted to report my blood pressure. He said it took quite a while for all of the receptors to shut down and he has had a few patients come back because they started smoking again. I DO NOT want to smoke again ever, but I am weaning off of the Chantix sooner than my dr. would like for me too I am sure. I did tell him I was only taking one blue pill per day because I couldn't hack the stomach problems any more. I told him I was doing fine on the one pill and he said good. Tomorrow, I am cutting that pill in half and will only be taking .5 milligram? for two weeks if I do okay. Good luck to you all.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
(male)

confused80 HB User

I'm just started taking the Nicotinell gum & TTS.

Can I know what is Chantix ?

But I would like to ask about the gum problem. Can I swallow my own saliva ? Because after I swallow it, I feels like stimulate my throat & stomach.

THX

Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
(male)

allen1466 HB User

Hello Kimmi1970,

I felt very tired and emotional for about two weeks. It didn't make a difference what it was. But if it could upset me, it was like the end of the world.

I finally feel back to normal before starting the Chantix. I have been off the medicine for 3 weeks now. I don't feel tired or depressed. I can sleep for 7-8 hours and feel rested. While I was on Chantix, 10 hours of sleep wasn't enough. I needed more. My mind was "out there" all the time while on Chantix, now my mind is more clear.

The only different now is that I don't smoke. Peoplemust know that there are side effects.

From what I have read in this forum and now magazines, please don't drink. Drinking and smoking go hand in hand. There are side effects Phizer don't know when people drink while taking the medicine. If you know someone that wants to quit and thinking about taking Chantix, please let them know not to drink while taking this medicine.

Allen

Old 10-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
(female)

amphelps HB User

I have been quit for 2 months now and for those of you who are afraid to stop taking the pill, this is how I did it within 7 weeks. Take the first box as normal, but when you get a script for the next box, make sure that you get the starter box again because it will have the 0.05mg pills. When you get the second box, instead of taking 2 pills per day, take one in the morning only. Now this box is going to last you for two weeks instead of one. By the time I was done with taking 1 1mg pill per day for two weeks, I started taking the 0.05mg white pills at one per day in the morning. By the time they were gone, I was done. And that's the way you wean yourself off.

SIDE EFFECTS: One side effect that was not listed was depression and one of my friends that was on psych meds went kind of psycho because she didn't get Chantix prescribed to her by her own physician. PLEASE BE AWARE not to mix this drug with alchohol!

Closed Thread