It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

cmill32 HB User
is this due to smoking?

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if any of you would know this but I'm concerned because I ran a mile today and right when I was finished running, every time I would breathe in, there was alot of pain in my upper chest area, especially on my left side (around my heart). It went away after about 5 minutes after I ran but it really concerns me because I run about 2-3 times a week normally, and I smoke, but I have never felt that much pain before after I have run a mile. I smoked ALOT this past weekend as well, so could that be the reason? or could it be alot more serious? Any answers would be appreciated...thanks.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

UCanQuit HB User
Re: is this due to smoking?

I think that you may want to talk to your doctor about this. I don't think anyone is really qualified to answer this question and trying to diagnose someone through the internet isn't all that reliable anyway.

I will tell you this. Smoking puts a strain on the heart that is about the same as if you weighed an extra 75 to 100 pounds.

Every cigarette you smoke causes the heart rate to increase by about 20 beats more a minute. The cycle of smoking is viscious, because it causes the heart to work harder, so the heart needs more oxygen to do this. The problem is that the carbon monoxide from the cigarette smoke basically poisons the blood's ability to carry oxygen. This in turn makes the heart have to work harder to get more blood to it to get more oxygen to it.

A lot of people believe smokers usually die from cancer. The truth is, that more smokers die from circulatory conditions, such as heart diesease than from cancer.

My advice is to quit smoking. When I smoked I git very easily winded and used to ahve a burning sensation in my lungs when I did physical activities. Today it is nothing like that. I have a lot more stamina. I breathe much easier and that burning sensation is gone.

Eric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

Heather75 HB User
Re: is this due to smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmill32 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if any of you would know this but I'm concerned because I ran a mile today and right when I was finished running, every time I would breathe in, there was alot of pain in my upper chest area, especially on my left side (around my heart). It went away after about 5 minutes after I ran but it really concerns me because I run about 2-3 times a week normally, and I smoke, but I have never felt that much pain before after I have run a mile. I smoked ALOT this past weekend as well, so could that be the reason? or could it be alot more serious? Any answers would be appreciated...thanks.
Sounds like something you may wanna discuss with a Doc. Of course it could be related to smoking but there could be a problem too

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Closed Thread