It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User
? for UCanQuit.....

I've read some of your posts and I'm impressed with your realistic approach to smoking and being smoke-free. In your opinion, what is the best way to go about quitting???? Please share your thoughts and thank-you in advance for your time. Peace, -Ornament

Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

UCanQuit HB User
Re: ? for UCanQuit.....

Hi Ornament,

I just caught this and only have a few minutes since I'm at work LOL to answer this.

Before I do though. I'll just share some of my quitting history. I have tried to quit smoking too many times. I have always felt like a helpless addict that was going to die a smoker. I always felt that I wasn't strong enough to quit.

I have tried to quit with the patch, the gum, cold turkey, zyban and the louzenges. I have never made it very far with any of those quits and I have to say that they all felt horrible, like I was tormenting myself.

Even the first two days of this quit, I used the patch and was having panic attacks. I was at work and was literally going to go buy cigarettes. I got on the internet first, because I was desperate and was looking for a miracle product that may help me quit in the future. I think to alieve the guilt I was having for giving up once again.

I stumbled upon a post talking about Embracing your craves and how a lot of the anxiety people feel when first quitting is being fueled from within themselves. At that moment, I stopped and started focusing on how I was feeling. When I started calming down, to my amazement the panic I was feeling suddenly started easing. It didn't nearly as bad as I thought that it did just moments earlier.

Oh it was still quite annoying, but that's what it turned into annoying, not this drug addict withering on the ground feeling that I was experiencing earlier.

I decided to take off the patch right then. To my amazement, I felt better the next few days and not worse. I actually felt relieved and excited about quitting. I finally felt that I was going to be able to quit. I started studying nicotine addiction and the mechanics of it and how it brainwashed me into believing in the cigarette.

If I were to tell someone the best way to quit. I would say educate yourself. Knowledge is power and it is no more true than when quitting smoking. Knowing how to quit and why you may feel like this or that sometimes, takes away the fear and FEAR is our main enemy when it comes to quitting. I know first hand about that, because I was on both sides of the coin that day.

Like a revelation. I went from terrified of quitting to excited about freeing myself from this deadly addiction. I have never smoked a cigarette since. Not one puff.

Ther is a book mentioned here that I think every quitter should read. It is called "Allen Carr's: Easy Way To Stop Smoking." I guarantee after you read it, you won't see smoking the same way. Though I didn't quit with this book, it is still an excellent read.

Eric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

Heather75 HB User

I have looked every where in my city for that book. It has been recommended to me by several quitters. I cannot find it here though....

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 10-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

UCanQuit HB User

Hi Heather,

I'm not sure what stores you have where you live, but you'll most likely find it at a Barnes and Noble or Borders books or just about any bookstore. You most likely won't find it at places like Target or Walmart or any of those kinds of stores. If the store doesn't have it in stock, you can usually request for them to bring it in for you. The book is usually stocked under addiction recovery.

<removed>
Eric

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-31-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 10-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

Heather75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCanQuit View Post
Hi Heather,

I'm not sure what stores you have where you live, but you'll most likely find it at a Barnes and Noble or Borders books or just about any bookstore. You most likely won't find it at places like Target or Walmart or any of those kinds of stores. If the store doesn't have it in stock, you can usually request for them to bring it in for you. The book is usually stocked under addiction recovery.

If that's not an option. You can buy it on Amazon. They have it for sure.

The book is fairly cheap. 12 to 14 dollars.

Eric
Thanks Eric. I'll try that. You all have me curious, sounds like a very good book

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 10-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

That you - UCanQuit.....I always believed smoking was more of a mental issue than a physical one. I'm going to find the book read it and absorb it. I appreciate your time & knowledge.
Thanx, -Orn.

Closed Thread