It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

alonenscared HB User
Unhappy I'm a mess

I'm on week six, I've been smoke free for 19 days. The stuff works great as far as not having the constant urge, but the depression is unbelievable, I quit many years ago cold turkey an it was bad but nothing like this. I'm also having some real rough times in my personal life so I'm not sure if it's all the chantix or partly the other garbage. The only thing that keeps me from being sucidal is the fact that I'm just too chicken. Then on top of feeling like I'm worthless, I'm sick all of the time. I'm afraid all of the time, I'm tired all of the time, I just want to give up on everyone and everything. Well just wondering if I'm the only one with all these symptoms. I'm going to my Doctor on Fri so I maybe she can figure something out.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
(male)

joekerr32 HB User
Re: I'm a mess

you know, when i was taking it i found myself sort of depressed. i thought it was just me, or withdrawal. didnt really think it was chantix. anyway, i stopped taking chantix and the depression vanished within 2 days.

dont assume your moods are just you. if you are feeling suicidal stop taking the medication.

btw, when i stopped taking chantix i didn't start smoking. so i was still in withdrawal, but without chantix i didnt feel depressed (just your normal frustrations associated with quiting).

the whole point of quiting smoking is to prolong your life. its not really worth it if you end up dead trying to quit

Last edited by joekerr32; 10-31-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

Heather75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekerr32 View Post
you know, when i was taking it i found myself sort of depressed. i thought it was just me, or withdrawal. didnt really think it was chantix. anyway, i stopped taking chantix and the depression vanished within 2 days.

dont assume your moods are just you. if you are feeling suicidal stop taking the medication.

btw, when i stopped taking chantix i didn't start smoking. so i was still in withdrawal, but without chantix i didnt feel depressed (just your normal frustrations associated with quiting).

the whole point of quiting smoking is to prolong your life. its not really worth it if you end up dead trying to quit

I'm just kinda curious. I felt no depression on Chantix until the last few days. You said you got off Chantix right? How long did you take it before you decided to quit taking it? Did you have any real cravings like going cold turkey?Just curious because I may have to discontinue taking it.

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
(male)

joekerr32 HB User

i took it for just under 2 weeks. i never felt good on it, but it was bareable. i didnt want to smoke while taking it. but the side effects never went away and just got worse. ultimately i felt sicker taking the chantix than if i had just smoked.

but the good news is when i came off it, after only 3 days on the 1mg dosage, i continued not smoking. its been 4 days now i think and im still not smoking - but i will say i went through the same kind of withdrawal when i came off chantix as i would have had were i to have quit smoking cold turkey (probably because i didnt stay on the medication long enough).

i still dont feel completely well at this point, but hoping i will soon. im only 3 days of no smoking without taking champix and im hoping im through the worst of it.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

Heather75 HB User

You went through the same type of "cold turkey" withdrawls?

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 11-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
(male)

joekerr32 HB User

yep. once the chantix was out of my system it was like a mac truck hitting me. i went through withdrawals all over again which felt identical to the withdrawals id feel going cold turkey.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Heather75 I had withdrawals that were what I can only imagine what it may be like to withdraw from serious drugs. I was sick with diarhea, I was dizzy,nauseous,I had the shakes, I had a fever, panic attacks, rapid heartbeat. just to name a few. The depression started to lift around 3-4 mths. The good news is this is my most sucessful quit. I quit cold turkey almost 17 months ago and now I barely even think about it, and since i had such a messed up time quitting I know I will never even slip because I don't want to go through it again. I only get a pang every now and again when I smell someone on the street smoking but than I stop and think I bet they wish they were me a non smoker. Quitting smoking is a process and one that can't be hurried and quitting aides in my opinion just put off the inevitable withdrawals may as well get it over with right away don't you think? It's like bad medicine.

You can do this you're strong you already made it this far don't stop now then you have start from square one.

Closed Thread