It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

alabama 84 HB User
The Flaming Crutch

I have been smoking for 5 years. I started very young. I do not know WHY I even decided to pick these yucky things up. I am not the typical girl people would see smoking. I will pass others in my community and their jaw just drops...but, since I am posting in this group....we all have the same fetish...Cigarettes.

I think that I am more addicted to the physical and emotional crutch of these bad boys than anything. I do not think nocitine is my issue. If I am bored, tired, fatigued, angry, happy, drinking etc. I want to smoke. If I know that I am in a situation where I can not smoke (like the last business trip I went on with my boss) I am miserable. Just because I want to smoke just for the sake of doing it. I am no longer a social smoker, I just want to be outside releasing all my stresses...smoking....CHAIN smoking!

I have tried to quit several times for the obvious health reasons and just because I think it makes me look trashy. However, I do not know how I would fill my time! And that is so sad!!!

If anyone has had super success, please share the secret to laying these things down.

Like I said, I do not think that it is the nicotine...so I think that meds or the gum etc would work. This has totally turned to an emotional, physical crutch which I cling to with my dear life!

Am I the only one who is completely obsessed with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

Heather75 HB User
Re: The Flaming Crutch

ummm...honey, it is the nicotine. Seriously, your post came across kinda crappy. Exactly what does the typical smoker look like? I kinda take offense to that. Not sure why but I did. We are all addicted to the physical and emotional aspects of smoking. That is the nature of the beast.

We are not heroine addicts but we are, in fact, drug addicts. We are addicted to holding it between our fingers. Inhaling and exhaling to release our stress. Inhaling, exhaling to celebrate our achievements. See, we are all addicted to the same thing. I hate to admit I am a drug addict but the truth is that I am. I can say that here and know that everyone else here has the same problem.
You may not believe you are addicted to nicotine. The truth is thats another sign of addiction. I am by no means an expert but I haven't had a cancer stick in 16 days after being a smoker for 13 years. I am here if you'd like to talk....

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
(male)

joekerr32 HB User

it is the nicotine. as well, i believe, as various other chemicals that you breath in.

im smoke free for 10 days now and im JUST starting to feel normal. i've had a mild fever and achiness for almost the whole time.

quiting becomes more than just surviving the nicotine withdrawal. your immune system gets hit, you often will get a cold, you'll have a hard time sleeping, etc.

all these things are the result of a PHYSICAL addiction. which is why when peopel go on chantix and their nicotine receptors are blocked they lose the interest in smoking.

the only way to overcome a physical addiction is to go through withdrawal and to let your brain restabalize its neurochemical balance.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

UCanQuit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama 84 View Post
I have been smoking for 5 years. I started very young. I do not know WHY I even decided to pick these yucky things up. I am not the typical girl people would see smoking. I will pass others in my community and their jaw just drops...but, since I am posting in this group....we all have the same fetish...Cigarettes.

I think that I am more addicted to the physical and emotional crutch of these bad boys than anything. I do not think nocitine is my issue. If I am bored, tired, fatigued, angry, happy, drinking etc. I want to smoke. If I know that I am in a situation where I can not smoke (like the last business trip I went on with my boss) I am miserable. Just because I want to smoke just for the sake of doing it. I am no longer a social smoker, I just want to be outside releasing all my stresses...smoking....CHAIN smoking!

I have tried to quit several times for the obvious health reasons and just because I think it makes me look trashy. However, I do not know how I would fill my time! And that is so sad!!!

If anyone has had super success, please share the secret to laying these things down.

Like I said, I do not think that it is the nicotine...so I think that meds or the gum etc would work. This has totally turned to an emotional, physical crutch which I cling to with my dear life!

Am I the only one who is completely obsessed with this?
LOL I've never seen smokers get profiled and I don't know what a typical smoker looks like since I have seen people smoke that I didn't think would be smokers.

Anyway, everything you said tells me you're addicted. You're no longer a social smoker. Probably a better description is that you're no longer an experemental smoker. We all started off smoking here or there. Smoking to be cool or to be rebellious. Then somewhere along the line, we started needing to smoke.

All smokers smoke when they are bored, fatigued, angry, and drinking. Nicotine metabolizes very quickly, so everything that you do in life will eventually get tied into smoking.

Negative emotions such as anger, stress, worrying etc., causes a real physiological reaction that pulls nicotine out of the bloodstream faster. So of course you're going to smoke during these times, because you need to replenish the lost nicotine that these negatvie emotions caused.

The same goes for drinking alcohol. Smokers usually find themselves smoking more when drinking alcohol. Sometimes 2x as much and maybe more. Why? Because the physical reaction is almost identical to stress. It pulls nicotine out of the bloodstream faster, putting the smoker into the first stages of withdrawal. The intoxication of the alcohol though is masking the anxiety that they would usually feel. Which creates an illusion that smokers like to smoke more when they drink. The truth is they have to smoke more just to feel comfortable.

You have tried to quit so many times in your own words. One of the biggest reasons that makes a person fail at quitting smoking is the fact that they think that they are dealing with a nasty little habit. This is what you seem to beleive although everything that you have said contradicts your conclusion.

You smoke, because you HAVE to. You do not smoke because you want to. You are addicted to nicotine. Your body has adjusted to having nicotine in your system. So now your body needs nicotine to feel "nicotine normal".

As long as you think that you're dealing with a bad habit. You're not going to be able to break it, because with that mindset, people stop for a while. Figure they broke the habit and now will be able to smoke when they want to. Within a short amount of time, the person will be right back towhere they started. At their old consumption level.

Honestly, if you don't think it has anything to do with nicotine why would you even bother with the nicotine gum or patch? That is a contradiction.

It has become an emotional crutch for you, because you believe it is. Cigarettes can do only one thing. They can only relieve withdrawal. They can only replenish lost nicotine. They are a one trick dog. We just confused the feeling of relief when we replenish the lost nicotine as some sort of pleasure.

Smoking does not help with your emotions. Nicotine has hijacked your own natural neurotransmitters and now you must ingest a deadly poison ( nicotine is drop for drop almost twice as lethal as rattlesnake poison) just that you can "feel good". There is no benefit to smoking. None.

If you want to quit smoking, you have to understand 1. You are a nicotine addict and 2. you must stop believing that a cigarette does something for you. Smoking created every problem that you feel when you try to quit. Smoking doesn't do anything FOR you. It only does TO YOU.

There is no deprivation from quitting smoking. Smoking is what deprives you.

It deprives you of your choices. Your freedom. Your money. Your health and if you continue it may very well deprive you of your life.

Eric

I freed myself on 7/7/04

Closed Thread