It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

cahcinderella HB User
Cold Turkey Support

Hi, Everyone

In 2 hrs it will be 24 hrs since my last cig. I feel lousy today. I slept off and on all day and have alot of withdrawl symptoms like, sweating, intestinal upset, muscle spasms, of course irritability, weakness in arms and legs. The exhaustion is just crazy...like I have the flu or something. I did this cold turkey it is just what I feel is best for me, I just hope I can make it and not cave. If anyone else could share their side effects from quitting CT I would feel better knowing others who went through this too.

Thanks, Cindy

Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
(female)

rags0072007 HB User
Re: Cold Turkey Support

My suggestion would be go back to bed...Find something to knock urself out..
Quickly ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

UCanQuit HB User

Hello Cindy,

I quit cold turkey & what you're experiencing happens to a lot of people quitting smoking.

When you quit cold turkey, what happens is that your blood sugar plummets. This can cause irritabilty, fatigue, stress, lack of concentration etc.

Combat this by drinking lots of fruit juice if you can. Also east smaller more frequent meals.

Understand too, that nicotine is a stimulant. Comng off a stimulant is also going to make you tired.

People quitting also commonly say that they feel like they have the flu. You are withdrawaling from a deadly poison. Drop for drop, nicotine is almost twice as deadly as rattlesnake poison.

Think of it this way. Having the flu can suck, but I'm sure you have had it before and you have gotten through it. You can get through this too.

Within 72 hours, most nicotine is out of your bloodstream. This is when withdrawal peaks and starts to decline. Within 10 to 14 days, physical withdrawal stops, but it is usually within the first few days that you really notice withdrawal.

Quitting cold turkey without knowing how to quit cold turkey can be scary.

<removed>

Education is key for success and quitting smoking is no different.

I have tried to quit smoking so many times and so many different ways that I lost count.

This time was pretty easy and it was due to knowledge. It helped me quit believing in the cigarette and erased my fear of quitting smoking.

Eric

I freed myself on 7/7/04

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-04-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
(male)

joekerr32 HB User

1) take it easy
2) remember that you are feeling this way BECAUSE of cigarettes, not in spite fo them.

its easy to forget during withdrawal that the cigarettes cause you to feel this way. we think 'that makes no sense. i stop smoking i feel horrible. i smoke ill feel better.'

thats the illusion.

the reality is that if you become a non smoker you will never have to feel this way again. you only have to go through this ONCE. go through it once, whether it takes 3 days, 2 weeks or a month - go through it once and youll never have to do it again.

i can tell you that im 11 days quit now and each day gets a little better than the last.

i still get cravings, and at tiimes they can be really strong, but i know that i have to keep going. pretty much all my symptoms are gone, although my digestion is still messed up. i never realized hwo much my stomach was addicted to smoking as well !!!!

ive had so many strange things happen with my body since quiting, especially in the last 3 days for some reason. its hard to explain, its a very strange, surreal experience.

and yes, the thought enters my head 'just have ONE smoke and you'll feel like the old you again."

but you know something, thats the addict talking. and yes, if i had one more smoke i'd feel like i use to, id feel like an addict again. and I AM SICK OF BEING AN ADDICT.

so ya, all this feels wierd. and yes withdrawal was horrible (but it got better). and yes sometimes i feel like i don't even know who i am anymore without the cigarettes. its like im letting of the old me that smoked for 14 years and create a new me - which is tough.

i know folks look at it and say its just a habit, what the big deal. no, eating candy bars is a habit. smoking was A PART of me - a BIG part. i chose smoking over so many things in life.

but thats why its over. im never going to smoke again no matter how much i might want to.

and you know, i dont care if they told me i had cancer and had 3 months to live. i wouldn't go back to smoking. im not quiting so i can live longer. im quiting so i can live BETTER. and even if its hard to believe life will be better without smokes right now, i know it will be if i stay the course.

cigarettes are like an abusive spouse that kicks and punches you every day, and you know one day they are going to kill you, and yet you can't leave.

most of us see the insanity in that situation and see that no matter how much it would hurt, a person in that situation has to leave and get help.

well, cigarettes are KILLING you. not just physically, they are destroy the joy you could have in life.

accept that you have to make it through 3 days of physical withdrawal and then you'll officially be in your quit. but don't think after 3 days everything is a breeze. it gets easier physically but it gets harder psychologically.

i dont believe its possible to quit so long as someone believes that their life is better with cigarettes than without them. people who are quiting for physical reasons will only quit as long as they don't feel well.

you have to HATE the cigarette to really quit. you have to realize that it is not your friend, but rather it is a cruel sadistic master that constantly whips you through life and then will laugh at you when you die.

I hope you stick with this. and having tried all the methods out there, and recently trying chantix, i believe that cold turkey is probably the best way to go if you can get through it.

Closed Thread