It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
(female)

Magika HB User
Try this way!!

There are various methods of quitting...
Cold turkey: "cruel" way...cravings during the 3 first days are so intense that can make you go back immediately to your old habits! Then next time you think to quit again, the painfull experience comes back in mind and it becomes tough to choose a starting day! (Next Monday, next month etc)..
Slow down 10 cig a day, 9 cig a day 8, 7 etc...not that "cruel" as cold turkey but some people find it tough to stick to it cause what's the difference betwen 8 and 10 cigs...?not big difference...many insist that either you smoke or don't! It is very easy to smoke 9 cigs on a 8 cigs day.
Nicotine helpers: not really helping get away from Nicotine...

For some people these methods can work. But the way I tried it really worked for me and it's been 6 years since I last smoked! Plus I've become a non-smoker and I feel like I've never smoked before! Check it out:

You are allowed to 2 cigarettes a day for one week from the day you say "I quit". You wake up and avoid smoking. Until you really start suffering from the cravings! Now here's the good stuff...instead letting this cravings drive you mad you are allowed to smoke one of the two cigs! Then after several hours your cravings will head to the top again! When this is really unaffordable smoke the second cig to calm down. It surely requires strength and managing your time between, before and after your two cigarette allowance but it's very relieving to know that you are allowed to smoke when you feel like going crazy! Try this for one week. When the week is over cut down to 1 cigarette per day for five days. After five days stop smoking completely. Nicotine dependance vanishes quickly from the body and during these days your body will have been adjusted to the 1-2 cigarettes per day. It's then much easier to quit from 1-2 cigarettes per day than from 2 packets! But it still needs strength...it's just much easier.

The next crucial step for quitting smoking is to NEVER SMOKE AGAIN, not one single cigarette, not one single puff! Persuade your self (if you really want to quit is that) that whatever happens, even if the world vanishes, even if your house goes down by fire, even if people you love die, whatever happens the only think that you will NOT do is to smoke. This is the trickest step and most of the people fall on this. If you allready have tried to quit and started again you allready know that this is a problem. If you know then...you know what you should do. Avoid it at all costs!

And remember: you really need to want to quit. When I did it it was summer, July. I was drinking lots of water and I was with toothpicks the whole day (really helpful!). In August I went to Crete with my friends for 3 weeks. That was the hardest part because teh alcolhol was a lot, the crazyness all there but I knew that whatever it would happen I would not touch the cigarette. That was the toughest and most crucial test. And you can also succeed if you REALLY REALLY want it! It doesn't come like this, you will need to try.

Good luck to every one!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: Try this way!!

I am ABSOULTELY gonna try this.

I just started a thread, and this sounds like a good way for me that might work. I hate this terrible nicotine addiction!! Thank you so much for this. I will try to keep you posted if it helps for me.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

emerald52 HB User

cold turkey is the best way

Old 11-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

shameeka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald52 View Post
Once a smoker always a smoker.Ive never met a person who didnt pick up the habit again after quiting.
Smoking is delicious .

Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

Heather75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shameeka View Post
Once a smoker always a smoker.Ive never met a person who didnt pick up the habit again after quiting.
Smoking is delicious .
Can you at least try to stay positive? I've met tons of people who have quit and never picked up another one. It can be done. What is the point of coming here if you are just gonna be so dang negative?

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I agree Heather.

Shameeka-What was the point of this post?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
The best way is the way that works for you! I've used the patch, others used cold turkey, still others used the gum, Chantix, etc.... Just quit any way you can!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
(female)

Magika HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shameeka View Post
Smoking is delicious .
That's not true. It might take a couple of tries but it is possible of course and excluding myself I've met other people that have also quitted for good and hate smoking. It's just that it's hard to be succesfull after the first time. You'll try a couple of times, see what made it not to work and try again next time and avoid doing what you did last time.

I tried 3 times (the third was the successful one) and I saw that even though I had quitted for 2 months on the first two times, I started again because I tried a "harmless" puff and a "harmless" cigarette when I thought that it wouldn't be a problem now...but it was and that made me start again. Solution? Avoid smoking after quitting at all costs. It's obvious!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #9
(female)

Magika HB User

Quote:
Yeah it can be for some people. And for some other people nicotine patches are the best way...and so on.
I just provide another strategic way that helped me so that people can try.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:20 AM   #10
(female)

Magika HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsigns View Post
I am ABSOULTELY gonna try this.

I just started a thread, and this sounds like a good way for me that might work. I hate this terrible nicotine addiction!! Thank you so much for this. I will try to keep you posted if it helps for me.

I hope it'll work for you! the most important of all of course is not to smoke a single puff EVER again! It might sound and feel tough at the beginning...and during the first two years cause you'll be thinking that one puff might not take you back. But it's very likely that it will! So...quit (cause that's easy to do...so to speak) and NEVER smoke again! No excuses! That's the most important...cause you know that saying: "It's very easy to quit smoking. I've done it many times!"

I know it's difficult. No one said it's easy. And everyone that tries to quit should know that it's hard and that they need to try hard. Keep in mind that, and be focused. I myself was at my limits in Crete when I was drinking those vodkas with orange and all those shots one after the other. Every night I was thinking..."oh f*** it, I'll might as well smoke one, just one!" But immediately I thought what I had promised myself: Whatever happens, even the worst thing in my life, I may cry, I may throw stuff in the wall, I may scream, I may feel depressed and so on...but I will not smoke! And this is how it worked. You need to brainwash yourself.

And you'll see that your tries will worth it! I didn't expect it really to see such a dramatic change in my health after I quitted! But I'm impressed and thankful that I did it. Some of these: I can run, jump and walk without getting out of breath...I can train without any difficulties, I can wake up in seconds without really needing a coffee as I used to (and it would take 1 hour for me to feel awaken...now it's just a matter of minutes!), black circles under my eyes are a lot better, and the most important is that I can't remember the last time that I caught a cold that made me suffer. And my energy levels have really peaked!

As far as the weight gain problem (cause I didn't want to gain weight either!!!), you'll need some extra strength there. What I did and what you should do if you don't want to gain weight is to eat fruits instead of junk whenever you need to. And drink water. This will not go one for ever. You'll need to stick to the healthy eating during the first steps of the quitting until you feel that you don't need to smoke any more. And use toothpicks. The only change I saw in my metabolism after I quitted was that it was harder during the first year to lose weight if I wanted to. But now it's back to normal.

Good luck, keep me updated!

Closed Thread