It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
What can I do??? REALLY want to stop, I hate the Addiction!

I am frustrated...I tried the chantix, and while I was taking it, it helped, but the negative side effects were too much for me....

while I had my problems with nausea (actually vomiting) while taking chantix, the biggest challenge I faced was the fact that I gained weight...

It TOTALLY worked for me with the cravings and I was not smoking. As long as I ate something very light first thing in the am, I would not get sick. The weight gain was RIDICUOLUS. I gained 15 pounds, and my eating habits had not changed one iota. I have recently lost 106 pounds,however, I am still quite overweight....

The weight gain made me give up the chantix, and without the chantix, BAM, I am right back to where I was before. Well, not exactly...I was a 2 and a half to 3 pack a day smoker, and have worked back up to just over a pack a day. I am NOT proud of myself, but I worked so hard to lose the weight, and it is just NOT an option to gain it back. Since being off of the chantix, I have lost the 15 pounds, and another 3. I was on the chantix 10 weeks, and have been off for since Mid October.

Part of my weight loss is due to the fact that I take Topamax for Migraines. Does anyone know if there is a drug interaction precaution for topamax and chantix?? I'm wondering if this is why I gained the weight.

I hope to quit again...this time cold turkey, on The Great American Smoke out day...

I am disgusted with myself...to have gotten so far, only to go backwards. I hate the smell, the taste, and what it does to my health. My hubbs hates it too, and naturally he is a non-smoker.

Any suggestions on what I might do to cold turkey it, and conquer this smoking demon??? I have been smoking since I was 18 and am now 47, will be 48 in February!!! That's a LOOOONG time.

Thanks for the read and sorry so long.

Bg

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

holly10 HB User
Re: What can I do??? REALLY want to stop, I hate the Addiction!

Oh,wow. I have been taking Chantix for almost 3 weeks and luckily no side effects worth mentioning. It must be so frustrating but you sound like you really want to quit and stay quit. The weight gain would bother me too and I am doing my best not to eat more than I did before-so far so good-my wieght was always my excuse for not stopping the cigs!!
It is not an easy process with out an aid, but you can do it. I would taper off as much as possible before going "cold turkey"- less than 10 cigs per day and then just do it!! The physical withdrawal is short lived. Check with your doctor too about interactions.
I feel for you-do your best and keep the quit-we all have the ability., we just have to want it enough.
Beau

Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

emerald52 HB User

[url]www.quitassist.com[/url] for support to stop smoking! i stopped cold turkey and dont miss it.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

bg- I also have gained quite a bit of weight on Chantix. I had so much queasiness at first that I thought if I ate enough, it would go away. I ate before taking my pills and drink lots of water. Always have water next to me. I may also be rewarding myself for not smoking by eating. I am aware of this and although it bothers me, I have told myself I will deal with the weight gain after I have conquered NOT smoking. I have lost weight before and I can do it again, but I want to stop smoking (which I have for 7 weeks and 4 days) for my grandchildren and many other reasons. Look up all of the stuff that is put in a cigarette and we made the decision to smoke it! When I smoked, I was in denial about why I smoked. I so enjoyed it. Now that I have read so much about cigarettes and smoking, I am appalled and I hope I am never addicted again. Keep looking and you will find your way to quit. Good luck.

Closed Thread