It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

angela19798 HB User
Please only cold turkey responses!

I have been a smoker for about 9 years now. I smoked between 1-2 packs a day. I quit cold turkey when I found out that I was going to have a baby. It was so easy to quit then! The worst thing I could have ever done was pick up the stupid cigs 3 months after I had my little boy. Ever since then I have talked about quitting, even tried a couple times, but just didn't have the want to behind it.
You would think I would be smart enough to say no b/c my Dad has had 2 very big heart surgeries and he quit cold turkey right before his 1st heart surgery, after smoking for 30 years. He has never even wanted to pick on back up, he can't even stand to smell the smoke when someone has been smoking.
I got a flu shot a few days ago and I have since then became very sick. When I first got sick, I just didn't stop anywhere to buy cigs. I had a few in a pack however, when I tried to smoke, they taste horrible and I just didn't want to smoke them. I have been smoke free for 2 days now, still having no want to for the cigs. I am still pretty sick with the flu though. I am not going back to smoking no matter what! My question is withdrawl symptoms from quitting cold turkey. (No offense to the ones who have quit using stuff) Me I will never use anything to quit, I have to beat this all on my own. So I would appreciate only cold turkey responses if you would please. I am stubborn and that is what will help me with this. I am hoping once I am feeling better, I will still have no urge to pick them back up.
The only thing is, my husband smokes a good bit. This is one thing that has made it hard for me in the past. I am hoping after he sees that I am set on not smoking, he will try it himself also. We will be rich if we both could kick this! lol (Average $3.00 and we buy like 3 packs a day= $3,285 a year!!!) That is just crazy!
Please let me know of symptoms you have experienced with quitting cold turkey and when do you have the symptoms, when do they stop? I have had a lit bit of a headache and muscle aches, but I have also had the flu at this time so it is probably from that. Just curious! Thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Please only cold turkey responses!

angela, How are you doing with the quit? There are many different possible symptoms but everyone seems to be affected differently. Judging from your post you would now be on day five. The good news is that you have experience the worst of the withdraw symptoms and things will now start to get better. Not easy but the craves will not be as often or last as long. All you have to do at this point is keep doing what you've done for the last five days. Do not take another puff and tackle it one minute at a time. Joel Spitzer is one of the Internet's leading quit smoking counselors and specializes in The Cold Turkey approach. He has many helpfull articles published on the web. I would highly recommend spending a little time reading some of his work if you run accoss it. Good Luck and remember never take another puff.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

angela19798 HB User

Thank you for the comment! I am doing rather well with the quit. The only tough time I had was this was my first day back to work since I quit. As soon as I leave work, I would always hurry up to the car so I could get a cig. When I got out there today, of course I had nothing (I have thrown all lighters and everything out)! I thought for a minute, even if I had one I would not want it. I really haven't missed smoking, but I have been really sick to from the flu. I am just hoping things stay this easy. The only symptom I have been having is my hands have felt a little weird. I am not sure why this has been happening though. Just the inside of my hands tingle every little bit, they are shaking though. I am hoping that will stop soon! My husband said he would quit smoking in 2 months if I keep it up, so I will definetly make him quit also because I have no plans on every returning to smoking. I hope I can stay strong and just say no!!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

It's great to hear that things are going well for you.

Quote:
The only symptom I have been having is my hands have felt a little weird. I am not sure why this has been happening though. Just the inside of my hands tingle every little bit, they are shaking though. I am hoping that will stop soon!
Thank you. I suspected it might be a side effect but I wasn't sure. I have experienced the same thing. I also felt it on my feet and some times my face, forarms and calves. It never hurt just felt kinda wierd. I felt it off and on for about the first month or so. It could be that your blood sugar is hitting bottom because of your rapid withdrawl from nicotine. You might try sipping on some fruit juice through out the day for a week or so and see if it helps. Thats a tip I got from one of Joel's articles.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
(female)

AnimaSola3o4 HB User

I quit cold turkey for 6 months once. I did the same as you, I was sick, and since I never smoked when I was sick, I figured I might as well not start up again once I was better... and it worked, for 6 months! Then I had a very bad situation happen, I was on Effexor XR, and had to cold turkey off of that suddenly, and i had SUCH bad withdrawal symptoms from it (think nicotine withdrawal times 100!)... and i was so sick and felt like i was going to pass out every second of every day, and smoking made me feel better.

Now, I'm using Chantix. Mainly because my insurance pays for it... i figured why not? I know you said only cold turkey responses, but other than this quit attempt i've only ever done cold turkey and was semi-successful. The best thing you can do, whether you are using NRT, Chantix, or cold turkeying it.... is to wake up every day and make the decision not to smoke. I had to make it every day for those 6 months.

Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
(female)

angela19798 HB User

Still doing good today on the quit. My hands are still bothering me, almost like a burning from the tingle today. My feet have also been doing it some to. Hopefully, this will all quit soon! If it wasn't for those symptoms, I wouldn't have any so I shouldn't complain. It is just an annoying symptom. I had only wrote cold turkey responses at first b/c I was curious about the symptoms of quitting abruptly, not b/c I have anything against the other ways. I think the main thing is the QUIT, not the way you do it. Still hoping I stay strong with all this. I will try using fruit juices throughout the day b/c I do want my hands to quit bothering me. The urge to smoke has only came on 2 times today. It is funny how the first few days I didn't have any thoughts on picking one up. Then again, I was really sick though. I am still not going to let myself have one. I am not only doing this for myself, I am doing it for my little boy. He is so proud of his Mom and I want to keep it that way!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
(female)

angela19798 HB User

Red, if you don't mind me asking, how long did you smoke before you quit? I was just curious if the hands feeling weird, do you have to smoke for awhile to make them do it. The first time I quit, I had no symptoms. I hadn't really smoked very long though, so that probably made the difference. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela19798 View Post
Red, if you don't mind me asking, how long did you smoke before you quit? I was just curious if the hands feeling weird, do you have to smoke for awhile to make them do it. The first time I quit, I had no symptoms. I hadn't really smoked very long though, so that probably made the difference. Thanks!
I started smoking when I was 13 I'm now 47 so I did smoke for a fair amount of time. During the majority of that time I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs per day.

I did some searching to see what I might find as far as the tingling and it's connection to smoking cessation. I did find some information linking the two. Apparently this happens with some people and it is a good sign. They claim the tingling is caused by nerve endings that were somewhat dormant because of reduced blood flow and oxygen. Now that they are receiving more blood and oxygen they are becoming active and sending some new signals to the brain. They say not to worry it should pass after awhile. I've noticed it dropping off a lot in the last week or two.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

angela19798 HB User

Thanks for the response! I am glad it is a good sign! It does make sense though. You know I never could figure out what actually draws a person to start smoking. When I was younger, I hated it that my Dad smoked. Yet, I still grew up and did the same thing. I am just glad I followed in my Dad's footsteps again and quit!
I was getting to the point with smoking that my circulation was acting different. In the evenings, I noticed I was getting cold very easily.
Glad you are doing well with your quit!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
(female)

angela19798 HB User

Day Number 7 has been great!! My hands haven't really been feeling weird and I only had 1 craving. The craving didn't even last that long. It has been a very great day! I am hoping that I have this kicked!The only time that is going to be hard is Saturday nights. I love my card games and there is alot of people who smoke while we are there. I don't even like smelling the smoke in the passing, so I am hoping this won't put a damper on my fun! I have fought it this long and have done very well, so I will get past this also! I will have faith in myself.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
(female)

zak7 HB User

Hi,

Today was also my first day of being smoke-free. I am feeling liberated, not feeling held prisoner by nicotine. I hope I can keep it up! I am going to work out a lot to remain smoke-free. I am also quitting cold turkey.

Closed Thread