It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
(male)

MarinBob HB User
How I Stopped Smoking - My Personal Experience - RESULTS MAY VARY

This is my personal experience. Do no mis-understand this post with being medical advice or a plan of attack - it is only my opinion and the facts surrounding HOW I QUIT.

---

After smoking for nearly 25 years, I was finally ready to quit smoking after losing three relatives to lung cancer. My wife was tired of me smelling like an ash tray, and my car, clothes, uniform, and everything was smelling really bad. I found myself running out of breath just climbing a flight of stairs.

My cigarrette of choice was Marlboro red's up until 5 years ago when I started smoking American Spirit Lights - because they were "100% Additive Free Tobacco" - not that it makes a difference one way or another.

I had tried to quit cold turkey before, but never had much luck. It would work for a week or two and then I'd be back to my normal pack a day routine.

I tried the Nicorette patch and gum before on two previous occasions but they did little to curve my addiction. Ironically, I still have a brand new box that I never opened sitting on my shelf in the office.

Finally my wife urged me to try Chantix. I was skeptical about it and didn't really think it would do it. I set my quit date for 2 weeks and then started the program. I listened to the CD and read the materials. Low and behold, the program worked for me. I've been smoke free for 7 months now.

My sense of smell has improved, my taste buds are functional again, and I can now breathe better.

I just recently had a full physical with my regular physician and he looked down my throat and stated that there was absolutely no sign that I was a previous smoker. No blackness, no phlem, no noticible after affects. I feel extremely lucky.

This is simply my personal experience. I am not endorsing one method over another nor am I urging anyone to try any particular method. Your best results will happen when YOU ARE READY TO QUIT AND YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT!

Nothing else will work for you until you are mentally prepared to change your ways.

Good luck and best of health to you!

Last edited by MarinBob; 11-12-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
(female)

mandy041879 HB User
Re: How I Stopped Smoking - My Personal Experience - RESULTS MAY VARY

Hi MarinBob,

Thanks for sharing your story! Good for you, for quitting! I just started Chantix today and am definitely looking forward to quiting. Although I am nervous about the mind of matter issue, I think the "wanting to quite" (and of course the need), is definitely there. Thanks for the motivation!

Closed Thread