It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Changes after the quit

I thought it might be intersting to start a thread where everyone could share some of the changes they've noticed in their lives or health since they have quit. Based on my personal experience I guessing that there are a number of unique experiences that you've all experience that might help motivate others to quit.

First off a little about my quit. After 34 years of smoking I finally quit on Oct 1st of this year, so I'm smoke free for only about 6 weeks now.

In the last week or so I have had a significant change that I wasn't expecting. Most people tell of their change in taste and smell and I did notice that a little but I was not prepared for what I'm currently enjoying. I'm not even sure what exactly to call it so I'll just describe it. My visual perception of light, color, texture, contrast ect.....has exploded! It's really kind of difficult to explain but it's kinda like the difference between watching regular TV and HDTV. Is this common or am I some kind of freak. I almost feel like I'm on some kind of mind altering drug especially in the morning lighting.

Okay I told you mine now tell me yours...........Red

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

kydee HB User
Re: Changes after the quit

Red good idea, I have noticed I have more energy, can breath deeper, heart rate is lower, but the one I like best is I DON'T STINK i can't believe I smelled like that for 40 years lol and I like saying no smoking when going out to eat. My teeth look better my mouth taste better I could go on and on there are just so many.

I've been quit
Three months, four weeks, two days, 11 hours, 56 minutes and 37 seconds. 4899 cigarettes not smoked, saving $649.24. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 15 minutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

Maddison1002 HB User

I quit on October 1, also!!
I've noticed less wrinkles under my eyes and lots more energy!
I'm working out now to give me something to do and to tone up and lose weight.
I can go up and down stairs now with no problems.
I'm not suffering with my chronic bronchitis and night coughing.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Money. Every time I look at my checking account, my heart sinks because I think for a moment I must have forgotten to pay a bill. And it's not just the cost of cigs we're saving -- which was high itself with my 2-pack-a-day habit and DH's 1-pack-a-day habit. We don't spend as much money on cleaning products for both the home and cars. We don't spend as much on mints and gums and body sprays. We also don't spend nearly as much on meds (both prescription and OTC) for colds. DH's last cold lasted all of four days. Tea and hot soup seemed to be all he needed. That's very different from our smoking days.

Opportunity. I live in a non-smoking state. It's been this way for quite a while. You can't smoke in or around most public buildings, all state buildings, in restaurants, most bars (if the bar gets more than 10 percent of its revenue from the sale of any type of food, you can't smoke in it). There were many places I just chose not to go to because I couldn't smoke. It's like a new world opened up for me in my own backyard. There's an awesome wine bar right around the corner from me that I'd never even tried because they wouldn't permit any smoking on their property -- even in the outdoor patio seating. The thought of drinking and not being able to smoke sounded like pure torture to me. This is now one of my favorite places since I've quit.

Being part of the "cool" crowd again. I'm no longer the person or persons who need to leave a good conversation or meal to go outside and smoke.

Last edited by StenoLady1; 11-14-2007 at 07:36 AM.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

angel72 HB User

Only on day 4 after my quit but I smell REALLY good and my mouth does not taste like dookie!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
(female)

angela19798 HB User

I am on day 6 of my quit! I am so glad I decided to quit the other day when I got sick! This is the best decision I have made in awhile. The best reward out of this is seeing my son smiling with satisfaction! He is only 7 and has asked me to quit a couple times. I have a very smart little boy and I am glad Mom can finally say I quit and will never turn back! I want to enjoy life for a long time with my son!
I am looking forward to my 2 month mark because that is when my husband said he would quit to! Hopefully, he will do it sooner! I make him go outside on the porch to smoke now, so hopefully cold weather with persuade him to stop sooner!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

angel.....we both quit at the same time, i quit at 10am on the 13th. so i am at 4 1/2 days(need to count 1/2 days too, lol). maybe we could exchange good and bad things that happen to us, due to not smoking. i am using the nicotine losenge, are you on anything to help you?
keep up the will power, i'm trying really hard this time around!..........bevann

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
(female)

angel72 HB User

Bevann- I am using the lozenges too, though I am finding they take about 2 hours to dissolve so I am only using 4-5 per day (4 mg) instead of the 8 that was recommended. I did have some withdrawal on days 3-5, mainly anxiety and a lot of crying, but this went away on day 5. I quit on 11/11 so today is my first week smoke free since age 20, and I am now 35. I could not be happier. As for other changes after the quit, food is tasting better. I went out for Mexican to celebrate my first week and let me tell you, it was the best! I also used to get a lot of tension headaches, and I have gone 5 days without one, which is the longest I've gone in years!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Seems my voice has changed somewhat from what people have told me. I laugh better and more often and I hardly ever cough anymore. I sleep so much better than I have in years. Must be that constant voice that always told me I was killing myself finally shut up. It was always loudest while I was trying to fall asleep. 8 months feels so good!

Closed Thread