It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

pkapoor HB User
Chantix--why 3-6 months?

It is my understanding that Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors as opposed to being a nicotine replacement like gum or patches. If you quit smoking, I believe it is 3 or 4 days that the nicotine is completely out of your system. And I believe in about 3 weeks or so, your behavior is well under way for being reprogrammed. (I firmly believe smoking is both about addiction and behavoir such as lighting up, etc.). If that is the case, I would think you wouldn't need to be on Chantix for more than a month.

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions on why the Chantix treatment period is 3 or more months?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
(female)

kydee HB User
Re: Chantix--why 3-6 months?

From what I have learned nicotene keeps our brains from making dopamaine and it takes 3 months for our brains to rewire chantix does help with the dopamiane it gives us like 60% that's one reason you will still crave while on chantix just not as bad as cold turkey. Chantix does block the nicotene receptors if you smoke you will not get anything from your ciggy it's just like inhaling air.'

I have been on chantix since july 7 and I would stay on it for ever if I could.

Four months, one day, 10 hours, 26 minutes and 13 seconds. 4977 cigarettes not smoked, saving $659.72. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: Chantix--why 3-6 months?

My doctor told me it takes a while for those receptors to shut down. I read somewhere it takes 3-6 months, I guess depending on how long you smoked and how much. My doc said he had a few patients quit the Chantix too early and came back in a few months for another prescription to start over because their cravings got to be too bad. Of course, I have read on threads where some quit the pills early and are doing fine not smoking. I have one more week to go on my pills, then I will begin tapering off.
Good luck

2 months, 1 week, 3 days SMOKE FREE!!!

Closed Thread