It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
(female)

velveeta HB User
Thankful for Quitting

It has been a little over eight months since I smoked my last cigarette! I can hardly believe it! I finally did it and I am thankful for that. I can only say that I was truly ready when I finally quit. This site was a life saver for me and I hope it will also help many of you in your attemt to quit! I smoked for 30-35 years up to 2 packs a day! Nicotine no longer owns me and I feel so powerful now. Chantix played a big part in my quit, and I tolerated it pretty well. My second day without a cigarette I went to visit my mom in the hospital and told her the good news about not having a cig in 24 hours and she was elated. She had nagged me and my sisters for years as she was a smoker and quit cold turkey when I was just getting sucked into the habit. My mom told me she was so proud of me and that she wished us girls would quit before she died. Well we never dreamed that we would lose our mom on this stay in the hospital but she died 5 days into my quit. I was devastated and wanted to whip out a cig with the rest of the family but instead I just watched. They all puffed away and I watched as those cigarettes did nothing for those smoking them. They did not bring mom back, they did not make anyone feel any better or cope with anything any differently and they did not stop one tear from falling. This is when I truly committed to my quit and felt that this is my time. I will never relinquish my control over myself to another addictive substance. My husband has also quit smoking as well as my sister and brother in law. I feel my quit helped them. I still have one more sister that needs to quit but has not found her time. I know she will find it and I will be there to cheer her on. I also know that everyone that comes to this site has what it takes to quit and I cheer all of you on with silent prayers every time I visit. Eight months is so great and I feel like a new person. I am amazed at how forgiving my body and lungs are and how resilient they are as well. I exercise now and feel great. I am thankful for my new lease on life and hope all of you quit in your own right time. I know you can do it cuz I did it! Hugs to all my buds here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: Thankful for Quitting

velveeta,

I am so sorry about your mom.
Eight months IS great! Congratulations on your quit. Take care and I can use all of the prayers I can get.

nomoresmokin'
2 months, 6 days quit

Closed Thread