It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

Lorenzo05 HB User
Thumbs down Day 4 of chantix

I am thinking of stopping but after paying so much for the stupid drug I wanna try and hold out BUT....I am still smoking as much as I was before I started it. Am I supposed to be smoking?? I keep reading people stop before the 8th day but I am not seeing this happening with me. I haven't had any side effects or headaches. NOTHING! It's almost like it ain't working at all. Anyone else have the same reaction?

Old 11-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
(male)

TJinPA HB User
Re: Day 4 of chantix

Lorenzo - On day 4 you still ae not feeling the full effect of the chantix, thats why they tell you to pick a date 7 - 10 days out and quit. I tried cxhantix first the way you are keeping smoking thinking that all of a sudden I would suddenly realize that I quit and that would be that. What did happen was I started to smoke less and did cut in half what I was smoking, but then Just quit taking the drug. I waited 2 -3 weeks and this time I took the medicne for 8 days and picked a quit date (today) and last night at 11:30 I had my last smoke. So far the day has been rather uneventfull. Longest I have ever gone with out a smoke. I do have a full box of nicotrol inhalers that I have used a couple of times today. I like the feeling of the cartritge in my hans and fingers. I hoped I helped, God bless TJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
(female)

tinamarie47 HB User

I have been taking Chantix now for 2 1/2 months (half the dose the entire time (other than the first week and another time when I gave the full dose a second chance) full doses cause me to get edema, which frankly scares the crap out of me. I also havent quit smoking...I have cut down alot just like yourselfs to 1/3-1/2 of what I use to smoke which was 2 pks a day. I realize that I havent truly tried, so I can relate 100% to your post. I either have to stop taking it OR actually pick a quit date and work harder at quitting. The good part is, along the way, I have worked on intentionally minimizing my intake and that does require "work" on my behalf. It also gave me time to make small but significant changes. Like not bringing Cigs with me whenever I leave the house, ever. No smoking with that first cup of coffee. No smoking after a meal. It goes on and on, so why am I still smoking? I think it's what you said...I havent given it 100%. The Chantix site says that if you do smoke just keep hanging in there and that the majority of the people in the trails quit smoking in the last four weeks of a 12 week program, so I believe the idea is to keep on keeping on whether you quit on that 8th day or not. I decided early on not to compare my progress with anyone elses. I may up the dose again because I felt so much closer to quitting than I do now, like I feel like this very same thing could go on indefinately so its time to do something about it. Being skeptical of the safety of this drug doesnt help but I do know the drug does deliver for many people and I want to be one of them Anyway, Thank you for your posts now I dont feel so alone TJ may today be the day you start your journey as a non-smoker.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

tinamarie
Sounds like you are almost there (quitting smoking). One small step away. Don't give up, you can do it. I have a friend who took Chantix full dose for six weeks before he laid the cigs down. He just wasn't ready to give them up. Finally he said, that's it, after six weeks, threw them away and that has been 11 months ago. You are changing your habits which is a good thing. Hang in there and talk to your dr about any problems.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo05 View Post
I am thinking of stopping but after paying so much for the stupid drug I wanna try and hold out BUT....I am still smoking as much as I was before I started it. Am I supposed to be smoking?? I keep reading people stop before the 8th day but I am not seeing this happening with me. I haven't had any side effects or headaches. NOTHING! It's almost like it ain't working at all. Anyone else have the same reaction?
Lorenzo, be patient. On day seven, I knew day 8 was my quit date. I thought I was going to have to move my quit date because I was still smoking and didn't feel like I was going to quit. I even bought more cigs on day six. Late afternoon on day seven, they begin to taste a little different like I wasn't getting the "fix" from them. Day 8, I woke up and could have smoked one, but thought, well lets give it a try and that was 2 1/2 months ago and I have been quit since. Good luck you can do it!!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
(female)

tinamarie47 HB User

hi nomoresmokin:

Congratulations!!! Thank you for your positive messege at a time when it was/is needed. It's very much appreciated. I did speak to my Doctor of the edema which is listed as one of the many side effects and He suggested I give it a chance and go back to taking the full dose because common sense says if I didnt have the problem before taking Chantix it is more than likely just a temporary reaction from the pill. I agreed because I had noticed that quite a few of them are temporary. So that was the second time I went back to the full dose. Once again the ankles blew up which wasnt causing me an ounce of discomfort but scared me again so after 4 days I stopped again and went to the one pill a day. During that 4 days I thought if i could only get past being scared, I'd surely quit, I could tell that the full dose definately would make the difference for me. Then someone said there was a report out there that states "They see no significant difference in percentages of people who quit smoking taking the full dose to those that take a half dose" so I was thrilled and have hung in there on that thought. I think that works for some people it isnt working for me. It's getting time to bite the bullet and up the dose with a quit date in sight (notice I'm not mentioning one now) but I will any time now. Be well all

Closed Thread