It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
We're ready to quit-would love input

Hello all. My husband and I have been smokers for over 30 yrs. We have both quit short term a number of times, but always resumed the habit. He has heart disease and my father died of lung cancer 11 yrs ago (and my mother would be horrified if she knew I still smoked). I have a box of Chantix someone gave me but have concerns about taking them. I have been depressed for months and on Lexapro (not working too well) and have anxiety issues. Since my husband has heart disease, he takes blood thinners and I read on the paperwork in the box that Chantix should not be taken with blood thinners. So, I'm thinking we both are not good candidates for the Chantix.
Like a lot of people, our quit date is New Years day. I'd like to hear what has worked for you ex smokers. I'm considering buying the patch, losenges, chewing gum, etc. I think we will need something to get though this.
Oh yeah, besides quitting for our health, our main reason of course, the State of Maryland is adding another $1.00 per pack tax starting 1/1/08. So we decided it's quit or stock up now and we are going for the quitting - which we should have done soooo many years ago.
I appreciate any words of wisdom you may have to offer. Especially when it comes to dealing with stressful situations.
Hoping to see this board light up in the next few days. Thanks to any who may reply,
JB

Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: We're ready to quit-would love input

Hi granny, I used the patch and it helped me quit. I smoked for 25 years, 2 packs a day and quit in May of 2006. You can do it, good luck!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 12-30-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

terry21 HB User
Re: We're ready to quit-would love input

Hello, I live in maryland too. I quit 12-8-06. The first thing I did was quit smoking in the house, and car. after a few months I changed brands each time i bought cigarettes to whatever was on sale. These changes helped a lot. When I finally did it i went to a hypnotist and it worked. She gave me some tools to use and it helped. I think you really have to want to quit for it to work.

I was a pack a day smoker. I heard about the tax the other day. That makes a carton about $56 now?

Closed Thread