It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

bootleg4now HB User
New Year's Resolution

Hello to all and happy New Year!!

I have been a smoker for about 19 years, and am up to 1-1 1/2 packs a day. I have quit a handfull of times, but always fell back into the smoking routine. I have decided that this is going to be the year, and would like to hear some encouraging success stories.

I haven't decided on a quit method yet. In the past, I have tried the patches, Welbutrin, and cold turkey; obviously, none of those methods worked very well.

My reasons for smoking are the usual. I started as a teen because it was cool (at least I thought it was). I kept smoking because it helps me with anxiety, although I probably wouldn't have anxiety problems if I got rid of the nicotine and caffiene.

Anyway, smoking has become an overly expensive habit both financially and physically, and I would like to stop. They say admitting you have an addiction is the first step, so I admit that I am an addict.

I find it strange to say that I am an addict, because I never allowed myself to become addicted to illegal drugs or alcohol; and where I live, many people have those problems.

But now I realize that I am addicted to a drug. It is a legal drug, but still a drug. Now, how do I stop?

I took Welbutrin once before, and after two days, I felt like my world was going to end. You know that feeling you have when you are on a roller coaster? I felt like that when I was sitting still. Turns out, if you've ever had a seizure, you shouldn't take Welbutrin, or most of the drugs like it. So, the anti depressant drugs are out.

The patches didn't do much for me. I still smoked with them on.

Cold turkey worked while I was pregnant. But that was a long time ago, and I had only been smoking for about 2 years.

So, I would like to hear some success stories. What works for you? What helped you stop? What keeps you from falling off the wagon? How do you keep from lashing out at your spouse, kids, dog, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice and Good luck to all of us who are fighting this addiction!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: New Year's Resolution

I quit cold turkey after 25 yrs it's been almost 19 months since I smoked this is my third and hopefully last time I quit. Cold turkey REALLY REALLY sucks but the fact that it is so hard I believe is the reason why I haven't gone back to smoking I DON"T EVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN. I think it leaves such an impression that it helps to keep you on the straight and narrow. The first week is very hard but you find that as each day passes it gets easier and easier. The one day you look up and it's beena few months and you can't remember the last time you thought about wanting a smoke. It'll surprise the hell out of you. I'd be a liar if I said I NEVER think how nice it would be to have one cause I do but it's such a fleeting thought. Although I have gained weight how much I won't say but on the flip side I can run up a flight of stairs without collasping, My clothing still smelld nice at the end of the day, I get lots more hugs and kisses frim my 6 yr old, I'm saving money, the list can just go on and on.

Basically it's the best thing you can do for yourself but like most things worth doing it comes at a cost and that cost is the struggle to keep up the good work my own experience is it became easier after 3 or 4 months.

Know you can do it and you will. Also I found it helped if I didn't keep such close track of how much time has passed since I last smoked some folks here prefer to

Good luck and remember to never stop quitting.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: New Year's Resolution

Hi bootleg!
My success story--never tried to quit because I heard of so many who tried and couldn't so I figured I couldn't either. My dr. told me about Chantix and I said ok I will think about it. I forgot to think about it until a co worker told me that he quit smoking and I was shocked and he said he took Chantix. I thought hmm that is what the dr told me about. So, after another co worker said she was taking it and heard it worked, I called my dr and Sept 16th was my last cigarette. Now, 3 1/2 months later, I call mine a success. My father that has cancer had to go into the hospital the first week of December. I wasn't sure he was going to make it several times. He told me one time he wasn't going to make it. He had a heart attack in front of me while in the hospital. I was so scared. He made it through putting a stent in, the beginnings of dementia, high sugar, low patassium, and about 8 other things. He is now in a skilled nursing facitlity to see if he can get strong enough to come home. He wants to come home but he needs to get strong because my mom is ill herself and can't take care of him other than small basics. He will be 83 years old in a couple of weeks and the thought of putting him in a nursing home tears me up. So with all of this and Christmas and my kids and grandkids coming in, I really told myself a few times that I picked the wrong time to quit smoking. But I stuck it out because I never want to smoke again. I have been off of Chantix since Dec. 8th. I was going to wean another week but with so much going on, I didn't have time to take it and my 3 months were up, so I am now a non smoker!! Whichever way you choose to go, go for it. Good luck.

Closed Thread