It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
(male)

Diddy77 HB User
Chantix-Anxiety

Hello all.

I have been on Chantix for almost 7 weeks. I have been doing well, I did have a cig yesterday. I like not smoking and DO NOT want to smoke. I have had 2 cigs in the past month. I do not have any cravings for cigs.

I have been experiencing anxiety and depression over the past few weeks. I have had 2-3 anxiety attacks over the past few weeks and just don't feel right. I do not have a history of anxiety. I have had a lot of changes in my life the past few months (breakup, new job).

Has anyone else experienced this? From what I've read, it's fairly common. I called my Dr. and I will stop Chantix. Just looking for some support to let me know I am not losing my marbles.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Chantix-Anxiety

I quit smoking on 5/22/07 with Chantix, and I definitely had bouts of anxiety when I came off the med. I came off the med after I'd taken it for about six weeks, so it would be right around the same time as your attacks (seven weeks?). I'd never had issues with anxiety or depression.

In all honesty, I didn't know if it was the med or quitting smoking. I'd read that people have anxiety/depression while on and especially coming off Chantix. But every authority also says this is a side effect of quitting smoking. And both make sense. I'm sure I reached for a cig to deal with a lot of anxious or depressing situations.

I never took anything to combat the anxiety and depression. I'm really not a pill taker, and it took a lot just to take Chantix for a month and a half. It helped to know others were going through this (even people who didn't take Chantix and quit go through this) and just taking it one day at a time.

Congrats to you on your quit!!! I hope you can get through these problems!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
(male)

Diddy77 HB User

Thank you.

You make a great point. I think my body is going in 10 different directions right now.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're most welcome

And I should probably be fully caffeinated in the mornings before I post something.

I wanted to clarify that I'd never had anxiety/depression/blues before quitting smoking and/or Chantix. I did have some issues coming off the med, tho, with anxiety and missing "something."

And I didn't take anything pharmaceutical for the anxiety/depression/blues, but I did (as did my hubby who took Chantix/quit smoking too) take a natural herb called holy basil. It really took the edge off. My health food store guy turned me on to it, and folks from India have used it for years and years for mood. It's about as popular as St. Johns Wort in the natural remedy world. I don't know how this stuff reacts with other prescription drugs, so be sure to chat with your physician if you look into anything herbal!

Keep on keepin' on Hope you feel lots better when you stop the Chantix. It's nice to take the training wheels off!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy77 View Post
Hello all.

I have been on Chantix for almost 7 weeks. I have been doing well, I did have a cig yesterday. I like not smoking and DO NOT want to smoke. I have had 2 cigs in the past month. I do not have any cravings for cigs.

I have been experiencing anxiety and depression over the past few weeks. I have had 2-3 anxiety attacks over the past few weeks and just don't feel right. I do not have a history of anxiety. I have had a lot of changes in my life the past few months (breakup, new job).

Has anyone else experienced this? From what I've read, it's fairly common. I called my Dr. and I will stop Chantix. Just looking for some support to let me know I am not losing my marbles.
I am on it and I too have experienced anxiety, I am wired instead of being tired like everyone else has said. Today actually is my first cigarette free day. It has been a total of 13 hrs. Does this feeling of anxiety go away after a couple of weeks of being on Chantix?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
(female)

karbear1 HB User

I think I finally figured out how to post a message without replying to someone elses. I hope this site works for support. I have not had a cigarette since 9:00 last night. After lunch it was bad . Got my hair done but I kept breathing deeply. I had an anxiety attack . I just wish I was tired. Has anyone been wired on Chantix. I take a Xanex at night so I can sleep. It usually puts me right out but now about an hour and half later I am able to sleep and go back to sleep when I wake up during the night. I am so envious of all that have quit for a long time. My husband quit in September on Chantix and every now and then he has to take a pill but he has not smoked. I am very proud of him. I also have no appetite. Does that get better????

Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
(male)

Diddy77 HB User

Karbear:

I actually lost 20 pounds on it...I stopped taking it this past Sunday due to anxiety/depression...

I would speak with your Dr.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

lyons53 HB User

Tomorrow is my quit day. Tonight about 9pm will be my last cigarette. I sure hope I can do it. I tried two days ago not to smoke just to see if I could do it...lasted from 9pm Sunday night until about 5:30pm Monday night. I felt pretty good. I worry about these blue pills. Is that what is causing people anxiety? The blue ones? I am anxious to get on here daily for pointers and to see how others are going.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Thanks for the info. I have blood work scheduled this Saturday. It has been 35 hrs since I have had a cigarette. I make myself eat 3 meals a day. Just cant afford to lose anymore weight. I do hope I can get off these pills soon. I just want to quit smoking so badly. I just dont get why everyone else is tired and I am not. I will have to call the dr.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
(female)

karbear1 HB User

That is how I did it. Before I went to bed I had my last cigarette. 24 hrs later I ahve to admit it was rough. I did a Xanex at 8 and by 10 I still could not fall asleep. Then I had some warm milk and that must have done the trick. This time the anxiety and insomnia has to be a withdrawal effect. I am not sure but isnt it about 3 days to totally just get the nicotine out of your system, the rest is just breaking all the habits we formed when smoking. I cant even sit in my kitchen right now because that was the only place I smoked in my house. driving in the car not too easy either. I am sure we are going to make it through everythng though. Just have to be strong.!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Welcome, New Quitters!!!!!!!

First, to start your own thread, when you're in the main Smoking Cessation Board, on the left of your screen, directly across from "Pages In This Thread" is a tab you can click called "New Thread." Easy as 1, 2, 3

Diddy, how's your anxiety? Any better since stopping the med? How about craves for smokes since stopping? Hang in there!

Karbear, congrats on making it! The first 72 hours without nicotine are definitely the worst, and you're halfway through it. Way to go!!! I wouldn't hesitate to call your doc on anything out of the ordinary you're feeling. One thing I do know for sure is everyone's quit is unique and everyone seems to respond a little different to Chantix. I quit with three people very close in my life (hubby, mother and best friend), and we all had our own issues -- now, whether they were directly related to Chantix, quitting smoking or a combination of the two, I don't know. I belong to another support group with about 100 people, and there were lots of people who felt tired, felt wired or felt no different. Again, this is not a one size fits all med, and neither is quitting smoking. Please don't jeopardize your quit just because you may or may not feel something someone else does! The breathing was my number one "plan of attack" for when I'd get a crave. After about a week of not smoking, it felt like air was getting to places in my lungs it hadn't in years. It felt wonderful! I hope it's the same for you

Lyons, I didn't have the anxiety until coming off Chantix. My mother didn't have any anxiety at all, on or off Chantix. Remember, different folks will react different to meds. I didn't quit smoking until day 15 on the med. I just wasn't ready until being on the med a couple weeks. You'll know the med is "kicking in" when you set your quit date, get rid of all your smokes and smoking stuff, get into the mindset of taking the next step (actually quitting) and you make it through the first day and it isn't so bad. That's what Chantix did for me. It never made me not want a cig; it just made it so I wasn't going out of my mind for one once I took the step of "quitting." You weren't there yet when you tried the other day. And that's fine! It is hopefully happening for you right now. If not, give it a little more time. Like I said, it took me a couple weeks before I was ready. It took my mom nearly a month. My friend was ready right at day 8.

Y'all are giving yourselves the best gift you can to yourselves -- as well as all of your friends and loved ones. Chantix really helps the time go by quickly, and it helps you to focus on all the good that comes with quitting. It just really helped me forget about smoking. Nothing else had ever done that before. Before you know it, y'all are going to have weeks and then months under your belt. The smell of smoke will make you want to gag. You'll wonder how in the heck you ever smoked. But it is a matter of steps. And all of you have gone through the major steps. Now it's just a mental game and letting the med do its work.

I quit on May 22, 2007. I'd smoked for 20 years, up to 2 1/2 packs per day since about 2001. Prior to that, I was a pack a day smoker. I didn't even really want to quit. I felt I should, felt I had to. I didn't think Chantix would work. Boy, was I wrong. Just hang in there!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Thank you so much. You are totally an inspiration to all of us. I figured most of this feeling is either withdrawal or the Chantix. Only going on day 2 for me . I got through last night , just have to do 1 day at a time. I make myself eat even though I am never hungry. I thought that was weird, just cuz I figured I would eat in place of a cigarette. You keep checking on us and being a coach. You are a good one , very positive and upbeat , thank you for that.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, you're most welcome, Karbear. There were a lot of nice folks who were here for me in the early days of my quit, and I'm happy to pay it forward.

But no more of this "only at day 2" stuff. There is no "only." You'll never, ever have to go through day 1 again (as long as you don't smoke, that is). That's big. That's worth celebrating. In a few short hours, you'll never have to go through day 2 again, either. You should feel awesome and very proud about that.

You're lucky about the appetite. Gosh, I ate everything in sight. It was like being born again or something. Everything tasted so good. Then I started trying things I thought I didn't like. OMG. Found out all food is just wonderful, lol. Tried to rationalize eating two hoagies filled with sausage, onions, peppers and goo because I had years to make up for not eating stuff like that.

My "new" New Year's resolution is to take the weight off. It's so cool not having to quit smoking on the 1st!!!!! Wait till you see next year!

Maybe it's good you're forcing yourself to eat three meals a day during your quit. I've read that our metabolisms change when we quit smoking, so maybe eating three square meals a day will help keep your metabolism in good check?

Stay strong!!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Thanks. You just stay here for us newbies. You are good for our souls!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #15
(male)

Diddy77 HB User

Steno. Thanks for the support....

The anxiety has been on and off...Sometimes I feel like crying, others feel great. Went for a run yesterday.

I guess it's part of the process.

Closed Thread