It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User
Stopped smoking and am depressed to bits - is this normal?

Well really people, the headline says it all. I stopped smoking this new years eve at bedtime and I've been depressed out of my mind ever since. I know nicotine is a powerful stimulant and presumably it is not beyond the bounds of rational thinking to imagine that its sudden disappearance out of my bloodstream may have a lot to do with my current bout of depression; I'd just like to hear from others as to whether this experience is a common side-effect of stopping smoking?

I am not using nicotine replacement therapy - I have no faith in it, I believe it does more harm than good. I have suffered bouts of clinical depression in the past. I'm wondering, has anyone else here experienced depression they felt was attributable to stopping smoking? And if so, how long did it go on for?

I've been years off the Prozac and have no intention of starting on medication again. Thanks in advance.

Laylah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Stopped smoking and am depressed to bits - is this normal?

Laylah it's absolutely 100% regular side effects to quitting. I quit and it seemed I had lost what was left of my one marble rolling around in my head. I cried when I couldn't start the roll of toilet paper, senitmental commercials you name it. Then there was the flip side where I'd lose my temper pretty easily and I had a short fuse to begin with. The First is hell on earth but there is a light at the end of the tunnel where it does get better. Just remind yourself that it's just the lack of smokes playing with your head, it took me about 3-4 months before I felt "Normal" Try one of the quitting aides if you find it too hard to do alone.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User

Thanks very much Liamsmom; it's nice to hear I'm not going totally crazy - or at least if I am there's a rational reason for it, lol! I'm over a week into it now, but the thing is, I went a whole month last year and don't remember being this down.

What sort of quitting aides were you talking about? I might consider something as long as it didn't involve putting nicotine into my body.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Laylah, how awesome to see you over here!!!!

Congrats on your quit!!!!!!

Yes, from everything I've read, been told and experienced myself, depression, anger, panic, anxiety -- all expected. I remember posting here the Friday after I quit smoking (would have been day 3), crying my eyes out. I could barely read the screen. I wrote something very similar to you. I remember pleading with anyone to tell me when it gets better.

Now, I'd quit years before with the patch and did fine until around two months, and then the depression/tears set in. I recall standing in my kitchen crying my eyes out to my hubby, and I threw in the towel.

This time I quit with Chantix (called Champix in your corner of the world), and the blues hit me much earlier. But like Liamsmom said, they didn't stick around too long -- just in time for angry and irritable to arrive!!!

Hang in there

Old 01-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
(female)

maac21 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stopped smoking and am depressed to bits - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylah View Post
Thanks very much Liamsmom; it's nice to hear I'm not going totally crazy - or at least if I am there's a rational reason for it, lol! I'm over a week into it now, but the thing is, I went a whole month last year and don't remember being this down.

What sort of quitting aides were you talking about? I might consider something as long as it didn't involve putting nicotine into my body.
Hi and congrats, Yes the side effects are bad for me also! You need to talk with your doc. about this herb called Holy Basil you can find it at a health food store or gnc. This was the only thing that has helped me. Thank god for it. I was going mad,angry,laughing,sad,depressed,hating life this herb is a life saver for me! Now I only take one capsule when I start feeling the edge.Talk with your doctor, its been a miracle for me!!hope this helps hang in there and stay smoke free!!!! Im smoke free 104 days now!! You can be quit for life STAY STRONG!! Yes chantix works. the side effects wil gradually go away Good Luck to you all!!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User

Good morning everyone, or good evening depending where you're reading from, lol.

Hi Stenolady! It's great to be here! It's day ten now and for whatever reason I just woke up in a great mood! I think it's probably because I made a decision that involved a major turning point yesterday; I said to myself, things just aren't ok; I'm under a lot of work related stress, the builders who are finishing my new home are behaving like snails on valium, the move in date has already been pushed back from December to March and will probably be pushed back to April or later knowing what builders are like. My relationship is in need of relationship counselling - there's a lot going wrong on all fronts, I just feel like life is coming at me like rocks, so I decided to book myself a therapist, and I did, and now, well, I just feel much lighter!

I know that lifestyle stress would be something that'd inevitably put me back on the cigs, so I'm thinking I'll combat that stress via my therapist thus lessening the power of the evil weed! Also, I think it'll be beneficial to know there'll be an hour in the week I can behave like a crazy woman; in fact I am telling myself what a relief it'll be to have an hour in the week when I'll be expected to behave like a crazy woman - I will be in a therapists office after all! lol The next time somebody jumps me in a queue and I want to punch the face off them I'll just think; "Hold it in Laylah - save it for thursday 11am" Ha ha! Oh the sense of relief...

"Holy basil" - I'll remember that Maac21; I just hope we can get it in this part of the world. Do you know what's in it? I'd be interested to know what gives it those calming properties.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great to hear you're in better spirits today, Laylah.

I just want to also back Maac up there on the holy basil. My hubby and I both used it for about six months after we quit, and, man, did it help. It's real common in India -- used extensively there for a long time. We bought ours from our local health food store. It works quickly, in a day or two and just takes the edge off. Keeps ya' happy

Double digits -- whoooo-hooooooo!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Last edited by StenoLady1; 01-10-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
(female)

maac21 HB User

Hi Layla the holy basil is an herb from India they have used it for thousands of years.It helps to rid poisons out of the body. You can also get it in tea form called Tulsi. it has a lot of healing properties and I love it! I didnt believe it at first and now im glad i did or I would be the one in major therapy right now! Just give it a try, its not exspensive as long as your doc.says ok. My doc. said what ever works for you great. I so hope it helps you its so worth the try! Congrats to you on you new home &being smoke free no wonder youre having a bad time thats alot to go through! Hang in there!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: product names are allowed - website information is not - please read our rules - click on "Posting Policy" above

Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Laylah I've been quit for 19 mths on Sat and I still want to smack people for the jumping the line. That's nothing to do with quitting and everything to do with being annoyed with people who have no manners and believe that their time is infinitely more important that yours. I speak up on a regular basis, and point it out to my son that that person has terrible manners than I walk up to the couter and tell the cashier that it was next. But I guess talking to a therapist instead of the Garda is a better option.

Congrats on the double digits and remember the cigs never solved your problems in the first place they just put them off for the amount of time it took smoke one, kind of like a grown up time out. You're doing an excellent job considering the circumstances and when you get through it all you'll be amazed at what a strong person you are.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User

Ladies, I cant thank you enough for the advice and support. Seriously, it is a wonderful thing to be able to turn on this computer and hear supportive comments from people who are and have gone through the same.

I am about to get in my car and go looking for this Holy Basil. There's a Chinese herb shop not too far from here, hopefully they will have it. I will let you all know if I managed to get hold of it.

I'm feeling kind of stressed again today, but I have to congratulate myself because I got plastered last night and managed not to smoke. The thought of sneakily buying a packet of cigarettes did cross my drunken mind, but then I thought; no - being drunk is no excuse for such a foolish decision! Ha ha, isn't it funny how we can sometimes manage to hold onto our rational selves even when plastered?

This business with the builders is really starting to annoy me. They are still on their Christmas holidays! Can you believe that? What the * is wrong with them? The whole * ing country has been back at work for a week and they're still sitting around scratching their arses and burping up the Guinness and the Christmas turkey! Sweet Jesus, it's doing my head in. If they're not back building that damn house first thing Monday morning I'll just fllllllllllllllllip!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope you can find it, Laylah. I'll bet it would help you. I wish I knew more about Ireland. Don't you have like regular health food stores or vitamin shops? That's where I got mine. I always keep some in the medicine cabinet now for times where I know I'm going to get stressed. I used it a few weeks before the holidays. I've got a big trial coming up with VERY difficult attorneys in a few weeks. I'll start it back up a few days before the trial starts so I don't bite.

And I fully agree with Liamsmom. When you get through a stressful situation without smoking, the sense of pride and accomplishment is amazing. It's just another step in this process. And you know that you'll be able to handle another similar situation again even more easily.

Congrats on making it to another weekend and Cheers!!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
(female)

maac21 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stopped smoking and am depressed to bits - is this normal?

Quote:
Ladies, I cant thank you enough for the advice and support. Seriously, it is a wonderful thing to be able to turn on this computer and hear supportive comments from people who are and have gone through the same.

I am about to get in my car and go looking for this Holy Basil. There's a Chinese herb shop not too far from here, hopefully they will have it. I will let you all know if I managed to get hold of it.

I'm feeling kind of stressed again today, but I have to congratulate myself because I got plastered last night and managed not to smoke. The thought of sneakily buying a packet of cigarettes did cross my drunken mind, but then I thought; no - being drunk is no excuse for such a foolish decision! Ha ha, isn't it funny how we can sometimes manage to hold onto our rational selves even when plastered?

This business with the builders is really starting to annoy me. They are still on their Christmas holidays! Can you believe that? What the * is wrong with them? The whole * ing country has been back at work for a week and they're still sitting around scratching their arses and burping up the Guinness and the Christmas turkey! Sweet Jesus, it's doing my head in. If they're not back building that damn house first thing Monday morning I'll just fllllllllllllllllip!
laylah you sound like a fun lady!! I hope you find the herb,also if men are involved it might take a while, HAHA Its like seeing a road sighn men at work and you look & guess what they are all on the butts .hahalolol.I hope i dont make the others that work hard mad. Few and far,anyways Im glad to hear you are able to drink. are you still taking chantix? I couldnt seem to drink with the pills because of the not knowing what was going to come out of my mouth! And feeling like total crap the next morning!! Well Good Luck Stay Strong!! From how you sound youre the person to get things done Im the same way crap or git off the pot loloololol. STAY SMOKE FREe!!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User

Hi everyone; a little update: Unfortunately no, I couldnt find the herb, though I do intend to keep looking. Yes we do have vitamin stores etc here (ha ha Stenolady, you must have watched 'the quiet man' a few too many times! Good luck with the trial btw) I had decided to go to the Chinese herbalist first because all their herbs are fresh and I'd have preferred to use those (you make tea with them) rather than use the ones that had been hanging around on the vitamin store shelf for months and months. But anyway they hadn't got Holy Basil in either place so the woman in the vitamin store recommended two other things for me, which I bought. Maybe these are well known on these boards or maybe they're not so I'll mention them anyway, probably some of you will get some use out of them; the first is 'Milk Thistle'.

It speeds up the livers detox function and so removes the nicotine from the body more rapidly, reducing the length of time cravings go on for. The second is a flower remedy called 'Aspen'. It works to calm fears and anxieties and the fantastic and wonderful thing about it is it's safe to bang as much onto your tongue as you like (it comes in a little dropper bottle) and I have been taking full advantage of that particular instruction, ha ha. I had never heard of the Milk Thistle before but I had heard of the Aspen. This is my third day on both now and I am certainly feeling calmer (though who knows how much of this may be psychosomatic?)

And Yeah Maac21, I'd love to make up a sign that reads 'Men on their arses' and stick it over the 'men at work' sign; a laugh like that would keep me going for years, I'd go into convulsions ever time I thought about it, ha ha!

And being able to have a few drinks in definitely a turning point; I had always felt that if I had a drink in one hand I needed a cigarette in the other. You must be mistaking me for somebody else about the chantix, I've never used it; I'm doing this cold turkey, for me personally I feel it is the only way. I have tried patches and gum and all sorts of BS, but the only thing I ever found any use to me at all was the techniques taught in Alan Carr's book 'The easy way to stop smoking'. They are what I've been using since Jan 1st and hopefully they'll carry me through.

As to not knowing what would likely come out of your mouth having a drink with chantix, I wouldn't worry about that if I were you Maac21, I never know what's coming out of my mouth next anyway, ha ha.

(Oh by the way, just to let you all know, the Chinese lady in the Chinese herbal store looked at me like she wanted to smack me when I explained to her that I'd come to a Chinese store looking for an Indian herb! Ha ha!!)

Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
(female)

maac21 HB User

Quote:
Hi everyone; a little update: Unfortunately no, I couldnt find the herb, though I do intend to keep looking. Yes we do have vitamin stores etc here (ha ha Stenolady, you must have watched 'the quiet man' a few too many times! Good luck with the trial btw) I had decided to go to the Chinese herbalist first because all their herbs are fresh and I'd have preferred to use those (you make tea with them) rather than use the ones that had been hanging around on the vitamin store shelf for months and months. But anyway they hadn't got Holy Basil in either place so the woman in the vitamin store recommended two other things for me, which I bought. Maybe these are well known on these boards or maybe they're not so I'll mention them anyway, probably some of you will get some use out of them; the first is 'Milk Thistle'.

It speeds up the livers detox function and so removes the nicotine from the body more rapidly, reducing the length of time cravings go on for. The second is a flower remedy called 'Aspen'. It works to calm fears and anxieties and the fantastic and wonderful thing about it is it's safe to bang as much onto your tongue as you like (it comes in a little dropper bottle) and I have been taking full advantage of that particular instruction, ha ha. I had never heard of the Milk Thistle before but I had heard of the Aspen. This is my third day on both now and I am certainly feeling calmer (though who knows how much of this may be psychosomatic?)

And Yeah Maac21, I'd love to make up a sign that reads 'Men on their arses' and stick it over the 'men at work' sign; a laugh like that would keep me going for years, I'd go into convulsions ever time I thought about it, ha ha!

And being able to have a few drinks in definitely a turning point; I had always felt that if I had a drink in one hand I needed a cigarette in the other. You must be mistaking me for somebody else about the chantix, I've never used it; I'm doing this cold turkey, for me personally I feel it is the only way. I have tried patches and gum and all sorts of BS, but the only thing I ever found any use to me at all was the techniques taught in Alan Carr's book 'The easy way to stop smoking'. They are what I've been using since Jan 1st and hopefully they'll carry me through.

As to not knowing what would likely come out of your mouth having a drink with chantix, I wouldn't worry about that if I were you Maac21, I never know what's coming out of my mouth next anyway, ha ha.

(Oh by the way, just to let you all know, the Chinese lady in the Chinese herbal store looked at me like she wanted to smack me when I explained to her that I'd come to a Chinese store looking for an Indian herb! Ha ha!!)

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
(female)

maac21 HB User

Hi you are so great, I hope you do as well with the milk thistle I have used that also when I was doing a cleanse.Well i hope all is well there !! Im feeling tired today and Im holding water i guess? Hang in there & stay strong i wished i could have done it cold turkey!! Didnt think i was strong enough, if i knew then what i know now. Isnt that what we all say!Thats so funny about the lady at the herb shop,when i read your post i laughed my *** off hahahahalol. She i hope was nice after you said india herb,but its used and called different things in many parts of the world.just typ it in online if you can.So i hope youre great today me so so.STAY STRONG NO SMOKING!!! Hang in there Ill write tuesday and see if youre doing good!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread