It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

thesouth1980 HB User
New Years resolution failed

I've already failed my New Years resolution miserably. I didn't even go 16 hours quitting. My doctor called in CHantix for me today, and a little hesitant about trying that because I have a history of deppression. I see that many of people have a greater chance of quitting with Chantix, but should I take it? I read some of the side effects too, which don't sound too bad. Even percacet doesn't even knock me out. So I'm sure Chantix won't either.

Anyway my point, has anyone out there taken Chantix with a history of deppression? My mother is worried about that, as I live alone with my kids. I don't want to like get so deppressed while on it, that I lose my job, fight with my SO, or yell at my kids.

When I tried the first day to quit, you would think I was going through detox. I literally was shaking, my anxiety level was out the roof, I felt like I had so much adrenolyn (spelling) that I couldn't focus. I was miserable and I only "didn't smoke" for one day. Less than a day really.

Anyone have any advice?

I've seen that people need a support group while trying, and I definately need one, but don't have one. My SO lives on the other side of the country, and my mom is no help. Don't have too many friends because I am a home body. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: New Years resolution failed

First, good for you for not giving up completely. You might have lost this one battle, but you're not losing the war!

You really need to stay in communication with your doctor about Chantix and depression. I sure hope you can tolerate it, because it makes quitting so much easier than any method at least I've ever tried. Maybe your mom can help "monitor" you, so to speak, and alert you to any changes in your personality. Same with your SO.

If you're concerned about it, don't dilly-dally about setting the quit date with Chantix. Follow the instructions, pick that quit date on day 8, put the smokes down and let the med do its job. If you're concerned, you don't want to have to be on the med any longer than necessary, you know?

There are many, many online support groups that are very easy to find. We'll all cheer you on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

thesouth1980 HB User
Re: New Years resolution failed

Hi Stenolady, and thanks for the response. I picked up my prescription for Chantix, but I wont fill it until Tuesday or Wednesday. I've heard by the third day on Chantix, the side effects really kick in, so if I'm going to be miserable, I'd rather it be on a weekend, when I dont have to work. Do most people take it in the morning, or at night? *I* am not really one to ask questions because I've found that I react to drugs much different than "normal" people

I am excited about starting it, but also very very nervous about it. Especially the depression part of it. I guess I'll be the test monkey for that and get back to you guys about how depressed women react to it.

Does anyone have any tips as to how in the world to keep yourself from going insane? I wish I was able to quit and that be that. No withdrawl feeling, but in my case is more like detox, and is NOT fun at all. When I went through "detox" I'd rather die than go through that again.

I think the thing that is holding me back, is that I'm not ready to quit. The only reason I am quitting now is because they cost too much money. Also, I can't smell it on myself, but when I smell it on other people, I think to myself "Gosh do I smell like that?" Gross! So, those are my two reasons for quitting. And I love to smell GOOODD!

Closed Thread