It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User
I have proof...smoking kills brain cells

I must be so stupid... I quit in August of 2006 and decided I could smoke a few for New Year's Eve ------- dumb huh? So here it is the 10th and I'm still messing around with them. I must be crazy but I'm struggling. I'm nowhere near my old pack a day habit, but I sure feel the cravings and urges all over again. I have one left in the pack and am determined NOT to buy any cigs - so please pray that I can do it. I'm miserably disappointed with myself for thinking I needed cigs to have a good time. I delivered a healthy baby girl at the end of September and I think I was just trying to feel normal again - if any of you ladies know what I mean. So - that's the excuse. Anyway, I just needed to vent and this board is what got me through my quit to begin with - so thanks for listening and wish me luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: I have proof...smoking kills brain cells

Don't beat yourself up on average every smoker will try to quit three times and fail at least twice so that just makes you normal. Just muster up that same quitter menatlity from last year and dust yourself off and start again. If you can do it once you can do it again and this time you'll know what to do and what to expect. I did the same thing once I was days away from my one year anniversary and thought I could smoke one and that was it it was like I never quit.

There can be no greater gift to your daughter than to be there for her for as long as possible why tempt the odds or gods. I have a boy whose gonna be 6 ( going on 26) and I'm hoping I haven't done too much damage by smoking to see him become a man.

No judgement here just support . Good Luck you know you can do it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Hey mommieoftwo, That was in the past. Today is a new day. You can do it. You have two children and a new beautiful baby girl. Do it for them. I have four grandchildren and my main reason for wanting to quit was to be healthy enough to see them all grow up. Children and grandchildren need us.

nomoresmokin'
16 weeks, 6 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes, 56 seconds

The following user gives a hug of support to nomoresmokin':
Dottie1961 (09-10-2011)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User

Okay - still smoking. I quit for 2 days and then went back and now I'm playing the "after this pack" "maybe tomorrow" game. I need a new plan. I'm starting to feel lots of anxiety which I'm prone to having problems with. I'm so down on myself it's ridiculous. I've been smoking now since December 29. Before that I was smoke free since August 2006. I know I can do it - I think my mind just isn't right. Picking one back up just feels so normal. But, I actually hate the way it makes me feel. I snuck outside this morning to take a quick smoke and my 3 year old came searching for me "almost in tears" cuz he needed to potty and couldn't find me. What guilt I feel. Okay, so no more poor me - I know I can do this. My new quit day is February 1st and I'm gonna do it this time. I hate the way it smells, I hate the way it makes my body feel, I hate the need to sneak away while neglecting my children. I HATE cigs! (but I love them too

Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

mommieoftwo, Did you start your quit? If so how's it going?

BTW, I think your post should be pinned. It should really drive home the point of how strong the addictin of nicotine is. After going more than a year without any nicotine in your system it only takes the brain to be flooded one time to reignite the addiction. I'm sorry you have to go thru the process of quitting again. You've done it before so there is no doubt you can do it again. We'll all be following your progress.

Quote:
(but I love them too
No you don't. Just the part of your brain that nicotine controls loves them. It somehow has a method of making the bad memorys the first to go away and holds on the the so called good smoking memories. What a nasty demon Nicotine is!!!

Last edited by Red60; 02-02-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommieoftwo View Post
Okay - still smoking. I quit for 2 days and then went back and now I'm playing the "after this pack" "maybe tomorrow" game. I need a new plan. I'm starting to feel lots of anxiety which I'm prone to having problems with. I'm so down on myself it's ridiculous. I've been smoking now since December 29. Before that I was smoke free since August 2006. I know I can do it - I think my mind just isn't right. Picking one back up just feels so normal. But, I actually hate the way it makes me feel. I snuck outside this morning to take a quick smoke and my 3 year old came searching for me "almost in tears" cuz he needed to potty and couldn't find me. What guilt I feel. Okay, so no more poor me - I know I can do this. My new quit day is February 1st and I'm gonna do it this time. I hate the way it smells, I hate the way it makes my body feel, I hate the need to sneak away while neglecting my children. I HATE cigs! (but I love them too
Okay, it's the 2nd. How are you doing?
Listen, you did it before, you can do it again.
Red60 is right, you don't love the stupid cigarettes, it's the chemical that your brain wants that makes you feel that way.
I am determined to quit for good this time, after about 10 times in the last year. I found tic tacs help me right now. I also have the Commit lozenges, those help when it's really really bad. I've only had 2 today.
Good luck to you!!

Closed Thread