It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

ashlynn HB User
Chantix...side effects

This is for everyone!! I just got my chantix today...but I am really nervous to take it. I heard that it causes really bad dreams and sleep walking?? Has anyone experienced this?? I'm taking it regardless as I know med's affect everyone differently I just am a little nervous about some of the things I have heard

Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Chantix...side effects

There is definitely a large list of side effects. Be sure to keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary or anything you don't think you can handle.

Please keep in mind that not everyone suffers from any or all of the side effects. And for me, my hubby, my mother and best friend (we all took Chantix), the side effect about the dreams weren't "bad" dreams; they were "vivid" dreams. Now, I could see if you're prone to nightmares or stressful dreams, nighttime might be difficult for you. But the four of us positively LOVED the dreams. They were much, much different than the patch dreams. I couldn't handle those at all.

The dreams on Chantix are like watching a movie every night. They're extremely vivid. It's the only thing I miss about the med.

I'd never heard sleepwalking was a side effect. I didn't get that one (I was too busy enjoying the dreams to walk!), and neither did anyone I know. But just keep a watchful eye on any potential problems as you would when you take any medication.

Congrats on taking such a wonderful step!!! Please keep us posted on your progress

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Hi there
Today is day 4. Seems to be getting a little easier with the anxiety. I am going to ask about the Holy Basil. I am not sure if that has side effects to it so I better check the web. I just cant believe I have made it 4 days already. I cant wait unitl I can say weeks , months and then years!!!!!! Steno lady you are an angel sent to us

Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

maac21 HB User

Hi I love holy basil Im telling everyone about it because of it being a total life saver for me! But also i tell everyone to talk with your doc. first just in case you take other meds.The only side effects that I have had was feeling normal again ! If you want to call it that lolo.After chantix I felt almost hopeless it was a strange feeling!I hated it and didnt know what to do. Im a strong person and was ashamed of my losing my so called norma;l self to someone who didnt enjoy life everyone noticed!I had to do somethin!! A lady Shanatoo thats in this **** mentioned it and I was on my way to the store! And just after a few hours omg I felt like myself again it was as if this herb was taking the chantix out of my body! And holy cow it was great!! I dont take other meds! So Please ask your doc. first Good Luck to you !!!STAY SMOKE FREE!! YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THOSE Stinky things!!!!!!!HangInTHERE!!SMOKE FREE chantix works be safe talk to doc!Stenolady is great god bless you!!

Last edited by maac21; 01-11-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

maac21 HB User

OOPS I forgot to mention that my sister also took chantix and didnt feel ANY of the side effects and is actuallyfeeling better !! Go figure that one.I have been the stronger one and I end up with all the side effects, her nothing!!! good luck chantix works!! Its mind over matter & You are stronger than those killers, brainfogs,choke up a lung ,stinky thangs!!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Thanks for the input. I only take vitamins, my xanex and Chantix. I think I will call my Dr. Monday since he has gone home already. I wish I had known about this stuff during the holidays , before I quit smoking.!!!!! Did you take it along with the Chantix.???

Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
(female)

maac21 HB User

No I decided the chantix wasnt for me but i know without it i wouldnt have been able to stop smoking!!I talked with my doc. & stoped the chantix complete.Then a couple of days later started the holy basil. I cold turkeyed the chantix I so hope you start feeling better!! I know if you stay possitive and not worry about things its easier!talk to your doc. and try not to listen to the side effects until you have them!Stay strong you can stop this addiction!! Good luck we are all here for you if you need help!!!!hang in there we know its not easy!But this is the best thing you can do for you & the people who love you! Im sure they want you around & if you keep smoking like i was you may not be here!!So keep looking at yourself in the mirror & tell yourself im stronger than that! Everytime you want to have something so gross hanging out of you mouth! & think of all the money & wrinkles that become harder to see around your mouth i have noticed a big diff. Hang in there it gets better i promise !!STAY STRONG!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Thanks for the words. I love the fact that I dont smell smoke in the house anymore. I smell musty smoke, so looks like I will be doing a lot of washing this weekend. Since my husband has quit also that should make it somewhat easier. I had tried a few times over the years but he has always kept smoking so I always went back. I just dont want to hurt the grandbabies , so that is what I try and focus on.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
(female)

maac21 HB User

Thats awesome! my husband doesnt smoke never has i would go outside rain,sleet,snow for a stupid cig. talk about addiction!And how my husband put up with the smell on me is beyond me Nasty! I didnt notice before how bad i smelled hair,clothes evrything and now i can smell!Its so great to smell again i guess its like being reborn lollol, only if i could do things over again woohoo would things be a little easier or should i say alot easier!Anyways its great your huband als quit. If my hubby smoked i would go nuts so great & cograts to you both!!!!!! STAY STRONG!!!!Wow to you guys.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Congrats to all who have quit smoking and trying to quit. It seems Chantix affects people differently. If you take it and are in doubt about anything, call your doctor. I called mine twice when I started taking it and within the first five to six weeks. I only had one bad dream that I thought was interesting. My worse side effects were the stomach queasiness, bloating, and gas. Also, my blood pressure went up slightly and heart rate increased some. That is when I called the dr. Now that I have quit smoking, my blood pressure and heart rate are great!! No more coughing and OMG, when I passed someone who just had a cigarette, I thought I would gag and wondered to myself did I stink like that when I smoked?? If so, I apologize to anyone who was near me!!

nomoresmokin'
16 weeks, 6 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes, 56 seconds

Old 01-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
(female)

melanijle HB User

Hi all!! I’m new to this forum and am taking my first Chantix pill tomorrow morning. I’m pretty worried about this. I think I’m more scared of having insomnia and gaining weight more than anything else….lol I guess I’m out here looking for support from people who won’t criticize me if I slip. I’m more worried about disappointing my friends than anything…..

Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
(female)

akazie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanijle View Post
Hi all!! I’m new to this forum and am taking my first Chantix pill tomorrow morning. I’m pretty worried about this. I think I’m more scared of having insomnia and gaining weight more than anything else….lol I guess I’m out here looking for support from people who won’t criticize me if I slip. I’m more worried about disappointing my friends than anything…..
I am using Champix (known as Chantix in America) to give up smoking (my 8th day smoke free ) and I was worried about insomnia too but I have been able to sleep like a baby and the dreams are awesome lol. I haven't suffered any bad side affects.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
(female)

maac21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbear1 View Post
Hi there
Today is day 4. Seems to be getting a little easier with the anxiety. I am going to ask about the Holy Basil. I am not sure if that has side effects to it so I better check the web. I just cant believe I have made it 4 days already. I cant wait unitl I can say weeks , months and then years!!!!!! Steno lady you are an angel sent to us
Hi there is alot of side effects with chantix not so sure about holy basil!!! its good stuff talk with you doc. I think steno is a great person & likes to know it or think she knows it! So be for sure the holy basil is also called tulsi!look it up on the web! It helped me out so much!If you only knew what I was going through alot. Good luck talk with your doc.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Well is is 14 days for me today. Getting a little easier except for sleeping. I got so excited last night cuz I started dozing during the game on the couch. Have not done that for weeks. Went and took my pill and went to bed. Slept for a short time then I was up all night. NO matter what time I take the last pill that is what happens. This is my last week for the 1mg so I am hoping when I go to the lower dose it gets better. I just want to get off the xanax. I also had to drive for a couple of hours this weekend for a wedding. I made it without a cigarette and I was happy for once that I was not smoking , since the smokers had to go outside to have one and it was -4 out there. Too cold for me.

Closed Thread