It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

Jules211 HB User
3rd time's a charm!

Hi everyone, I am not new to HealthBoards but I am new to this particular forum... I am 26 years old (going on 27) and have been a smoker for the better part of the last 12 years. I have quit twice before- once when I was 21 using the patch (and immediately after quitting found out I was pregnant so I had extra incentive not to pick it back up)- I stayed quit for 13 months that time until the first night my husband and I had a date without the newborn and went to a bar... my husband has been a heavy smoker for 16+ years and has never quit, and sitting with him at the bar made me crave a cigarette...

The second time was a few years ago using Wellbutrin, but it didn't stick- I quit for 2 months and then for nearly a year after I would smoke just 1-2 cigarettes only in the evening after work (talk about torture!) thinking that was at least better than going back to smoking all day.

I'm currently taking Chantix... I just started the full dose this morning and I guess I'm looking for some support and encouragement throughout this process. My biggest challenge is that my husband is not quitting (yet- he wanted to make sure Chantix didn't have extreme side effects as we have a 5 year old son and don't want to put him in any risk). He promises he'll be quitting soon, but in the meantime I have to quit while he still smokes (and he smokes ALOT). The other challenges are the usual- adjusting to more free time and breaking the habit, finding other ways to deal with stress, etc.

Just wanted to say hi and hopefully find a place where I can post and talk to others before/on/after my big quit date!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: 3rd time's a charm!

Congratulations jules on your new journey of stopping smoking!!
Chantix really worked for me. It will stop you from smoking if you stick to the medicine. Sticking to the medicine is hard for some as some get bad side effects and some get mild ones and some get hardly any. Be aware of any changes in you and don't hesitate to ask your dr. I called mine twice after I started taking it. I was pretty lucky. The worse for me was the stomach problems. I dropped my second blue pill in the second month and only took one a day for month 2 and 3. It helped a lot, but didn't completely take away the stomach problem. It concerned me also that my blood pressure went up a little and heart rate went up quite a bit. The dr told me to check it regularly and call him if needed. I am quit smoking and off of Chantix and my blood pressure is great and so is my heart rate. I was unlucky in the weight dept. though. I haven't weighed, but would guess I have gained at least 20 pounds. I will work on that soon I hope.
The free time was strange to me at first. I felt like I should be doing something, kinda lost feeling. That didn't last but a few days and I now have more energy since I quit smoking. I found plenty of things to do to fill the free time up!
Breaking the habit is challenging. The Chantix really helps with that though. My cravings only lasted a few minutes. I would quickly think of something else or do something else and pouff, the craving was gone. I really was surprised how soon I did break the mental habit.
Dealing with stress is tricky. I had some major stress in December and if I had had a cigarette near, I would have smoked maybe. I refused to buy any and I talked myself out of the craving brought on by stress. Again, that only lasted a few minutes. Taking lots of deep breaths helped me a lot.
My dad still smoked when I quit and I really thought he stunk something awful and I didn't want to smoke when I walked pass him.
Sorry this is long. Hope it is of some help. Good luck and do this for yourself, your husband, your son, your family! You can do it!!!!!

nomoresmokin'
17 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours, 57 minutes, 7 seconds

Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

Hey Jules,

This is my second day on patches and I think that I’m making some serious progress. Although I have had a few drags here and there they have added up to about 1 cigarette a day for the last two days. I do have a prescription for Chan tax but, I have weight problems and seem to have some kind of side affect from almost everything that I take so I decided to stick with the patches since I haven’t had any affects. I am the opposite of most people; I would love to GAIN weight as I am 23 and weighing a whopping 83 pounds!!! I also wish to be healthier as I do suffer from Epilepsy and do not need to jeopardize my health any more than it is already.

I’m finding lolly pops are a big help for me as I feel the need to have something in my mouth. I am also feeling the need to do something. Well, I have a 5 years old that’s always keeping me on my toes and theres always something to clean so; I guess that I can fill that void pretty quickly. I’m also having stomach issuesGood luck Jules, you can do it!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
(female)

Jules211 HB User

Thanks for your stories!

JulJul- sounds like we have some things in common- my son is 5 years old also! So he does help me stay busy but at the same time, my husband is always outside smoking making it more of a temptation for me. I've been eating more hard candy lately too because it does help keep my hands/mouth busy instead of smoking.

NoMoreSmokin- I have had some nausea but I find that if I eat a meal EXACTLY when I take Chantix (or within no more than 10 minutes of eating), the nausea is minimized. I hope I can deal with stress... I suffer from anxiety and smoking has always been a coping mechanism for me.

Closed Thread