It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

Stacey43 HB User
Has anyone weaned themselves off cigarettes?

This is my first time on this board. I am 43 and have smoked for 28 years. I smoked anywhere from a 1-1 1/2 packs a day, until recently. I have tried to quit smoking in the past and as soon as I put out my last cigarette I would panic. All I could think about was that I didn't have any more and how much I needed one, even though I had just put one out. Obviously cold turkey isn't for me.

I have to quit now, my health depends on it. I was recently diagnosed with moderate emphysema. When my shortness of breath started I thought I was just out of shape and getting older. Even though I have been diagnosed with COPD, I am still smoking because I know I can't just quit.

I started by cutting down, I have an empty pack that I put 12 cigarettes in first thing in the morning. That is what I will allow myself for the day. I may leave one and the next morning I will only put in 11 cigarettes. I thought if I do that for a week then the next will I take out 1 or 2 and so on until I hopefully stop.

Has anyone tried it this way? Does it help? Am I just fooling myself? I have a Chronic life long disease, one would think that would be enough to put down cigarettes all together.

I don't enjoy them like I use too, except the first one every morning. I have already changed my routine. Instead of eating a meal, clearing the table and rushing outside to have a smoke. I now clear the table, do the dishes, wipe everything down and get the morning coffee ready before I go out to smoke. I don't think about smoking as much. I know most of the smoking I do now is more out of habit and addiction more than enjoyment. But I also know if I just put them down I am going to go crazy thinking about them, wanting one or needing one. That is why I am trying to wean myself. Any input or hints will be helpful and appreciated.

I wish everyone success or continued success in their efforts to quit smoking.

Blessings,
Stacey43

Last edited by Stacey43; 01-22-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Has any weaned themselves off cigarettes?

when I was thinking about quitting that 's what I did I started to go down in the cigs also I started smoking lites than extra lites than ultra lites. It kind of back fires because you just smoke more of the lites to make up of for the lack of whatever you're not getting from the old cigs and the quit if it's cold turkey is still hard but definitely worth it in the end.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
(female)

Stacey43 HB User

Thanks Liamsmom. I haven't changed my brand of cigarettes, I never could smoke lites. At this point I'm a habitual smoker. I smoke because it has been a part of me for so long. I wonder why I have such a hard time putting them down when I don't seem to be enjoying them like I use too. But, I do know cold turkey wont work for me. That is why I am hoping that if I keep cutting them down then maybe I wont miss them when they are gone. I have already started changing my routine, I am hoping changing the habit I did with a cigarette will be habits I can do without one.
I don't smoke in the house or car. Talking on the phone is one of my worst times. So now I take a puff or two and then put it out. The first one in the morning is my most enjoyable one and after meals. I've already changed my after meals routine, I just have to work on the morning one.
I hope before too long I will be a non-smoker. My husband is also quitting thankfully. That is making it easier.
I only smoked 11 yesterday even though I am allowing myself 12 a day.

Thanks for the reply Liamsmom. Have a great week!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hi stacey....i am 58 and have smoked for 43 yrs. i was dx with copd about 13 yrs ago, i also am a diabetic. i should not be smoking with either of these dx's. i have quit every way possible over the yrs, the longest being twice for 4 mos.
you might be onto something there, the cutting down. not having even one for me seems like a punishment, which is plain stupid thinking on my part.
this sounds awful, i know, but i have even visited the lung cancer line to give me a real good scare. also, i don't even want to think of carrying oxygen around, which could be sooner than later.
i know excercise is good when you are quitting, but i am physically disabled, so that's out.
anyway, i am saying right now that i have 1 pk left and then i'm done! i don't even like the taste or smell of them anymore, it is all a bad habit. hubby is not ready to quit, but that is him, i am my own person, and really want to do this for my health.
it sounds to me that you are on the right track. only smoking outside is a really good thing also. my son quit about a yr ago, he lives in cold weather and was tired of going outside to smoke.
you are 15 yrs younger than i am, please don't put it off like i did..kick it in the butt!! best of luck to you......bevann

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
(female)

Stacey43 HB User

Hi bevann...Good luck! I will keep you in my prayers. It's tough but you can do it.
The weaning is going well so far. I put 12 in the pack but I am only smoking 11. It isn't a major hurdle but it's a start. I thought about jumping ahead and not waiting the week to take 1 cigarette out of the pack. Then I thought I better not mess with something that is working so far. I made a plan and I should stick to it. I'll just pat myself on the back for leaving one instead of smoking all 12.
Like you I am not able to exercise. I had knee surgery about 6 months ago and found out I have some major arthritis going on in there. And with the shortness of breath I get worn out just going to the store. I can't even bring in my own groceries. I keep looking at my treadmill and maybe one of these days I will hop on and see what happens. Inhalers don't work for me so this could be interesting.

Good luck to you bevann and let me know how it is going. Take care!

Blessings,
Stacey43

Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

Hi Stacey, I'm Stacy also. I am 39, smoked since 12. I have tried so many times to quit myself and have failed each time. I am on day 2 of no cigarettes and using the Commit lozenges. The taste isn't too bad, but, the tingling and the slight sting to the throat if you swallow too much bothers me. I really want a cigarette right now though. This is the most I have craved since 8:30 yesterday morning when I smoked the last one of the pack.
What I am wondering, am I going to get addicted to these now?
I guess I will find out. LOL
Good luck to you. Tapering off like that will help some people. You just have to try and see.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Stacey43, I hope you do not take my post in the wrong way. I really am just trying to help even though my response may not come accross that way. In answer to the question you posed. I have never heard of anyone having success using the weaning method. Stacey you sound like you are a great person. I would only recommend this method to someone I wanted to see suffer immeasurably and then at some point throw in the towel and return to smoking.

You've already done better than I did using it. I started at 2 packs a day and got to about 15 cigs per day before throwing in the towel. It was 10 years later before I got up the nerve to try again.

With this method you are in physical withdrawl for a month or more. For several weeks you will be at peak withdrawl and still not be any closer to being able to say you've quit. I won't say it is impossible to quit using this method but although it sounds like the easy way out it is in fact probably the most difficult and inhuman method.

At least with cold turkey the max withdrawl is reached in about 72 hrs. From there things start to get better, not easy but they are not getting worse. You can at least get some motivation and thump your chest because you have not smoked for a few days.

Wish you the best

Old 02-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
Stacey43, I hope you do not take my post in the wrong way. I really am just trying to help even though my response may not come accross that way. In answer to the question you posed. I have never heard of anyone having success using the weaning method. Stacey you sound like you are a great person. I would only recommend this method to someone I wanted to see suffer immeasurably and then at some point throw in the towel and return to smoking.

You've already done better than I did using it. I started at 2 packs a day and got to about 15 cigs per day before throwing in the towel. It was 10 years later before I got up the nerve to try again.

With this method you are in physical withdrawl for a month or more. For several weeks you will be at peak withdrawl and still not be any closer to being able to say you've quit. I won't say it is impossible to quit using this method but although it sounds like the easy way out it is in fact probably the most difficult and inhuman method.

At least with cold turkey the max withdrawl is reached in about 72 hrs. From there things start to get better, not easy but they are not getting worse. You can at least get some motivation and thump your chest because you have not smoked for a few days.

Wish you the best
your right though!
I have fought the urge, that is painful, to go get a cigarette and it is difficult, but, I feel good about myself. Any other times, I gave in and I cried from the shame and then just talked myself out of quitting, making an excuse to why I didn't need to quit. I'm not going to that this time. I found out today, that my sister, alchoholic, hasn't had a drink in a month and is doing it on her own. If she can do that, I can damn sure do this. Good luck to EVERYONE!!
WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Last edited by texas1107; 02-02-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

10+yrs ago I could never just cut down...I had to just quit but I did use the patch and was so surprised because I never had a craving and I was a chain smoker 4 packs/day. I only had to use step one and two and I was done. I enjoyed smoking ...my health wasn't compromised at the time but I just couldn't afford it anymore and still can't. good luck to you. Everyone's journey is different.

Closed Thread