It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

petlover1003 HB User
A Newbie with a few questions please

This is my first post. I have an appointment with a doctor on Monday and will hopefully come away with a prescription for Chantix. I know people who have had good success with this. I've smoked for 40 years and this will be my first attempt at quitting. (my husband quit 2 1/2 years ago).

It sounds like anxiety, depression etc. seem to go hand in hand with trying to quit (or maybe a side effect of the Chantix). Should I ask for a prescription for an anti-depressant as long as I'm at the doctor (and get it filled only if necessary) ??
Any one have a specific recommendation?

What about wearing a patch the same time you're taking Chantix?

I must admit that I really want to succeed but I'm also a wimp with little willpower. I just hope I will become committed to quitting. I know that is what's most important!

Congratulations to so many of you who are doing soooooooo well!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
(female)

akazie HB User
Re: A Newbie with a few questions please

Hello and welcome to health boards

I don't really think you would need to use patches while you are taking Chantix. I find it really hard to give up smoking as well and I have tried everything (Zyban, patches, gum etc) and I must say that Champix is by far the best thing I have ever tried (today is day 14 for me without smoking).

I would talk to your doctor about taking an antidepressant, I am taking Luvox and I seem to not be suffering more from anxiety than what I was before while smoking.

Congratulations on your decision to stop smoking and good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

welcome to the boards, petlover! i just posted on here also. i have smoked for 43 yrs. you are lucky hubby does not smoke! my problem is that mine does!
i tried to quit several times over the yrs. with 4 mos. being my longest. i have alot of health problems now that i need to quit because of also. my son(35) has been quit for 8 mos. now! i am so proud of him, and he worries alot about my health and me still smoking.

we can do this, best of luck to you and me! lol..........bevann

Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

Chantix worked really well for me. It is 10 months since I last smoked. While on Chantix I was pretty mellow and it afforded me to ditch the nicotine without clawing out anyones eyes. I would just be on one med at a time especially until you feel how it is working. The worst side effect I had was a bit of insomnia and some joint pain. After lowering my dose on my own those problems went away. Chantix will not tie your hands behind your back and make you quit but it makes it easier to say no to smoking. I felt how it worked and gave it my best shot. Never going back. I smoked for 35 years and nearly 2 packs a day. Good Ridance!!! Good luck to you! You have to really want to quit and it may take some time to get to that place.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Welcome petlover!
Congratulations on your quitting. You can do it. I think it is recommended that you do not use the patch while on Chantix.
Chantix worked for me. I didn't think I could stop smoking, but I did. After the first week, they began to taste funny and I didn't get that good feeling from smoking so on day 8, I quit and haven't had one since. There are times I think about it especially under a lot of stress, but I keep saying to myself, NO, don't do it and in a few minutes it passes.
I had a pretty calm feeling while taking Chantix. I had several side effects, the worse being the gas, bloating, acid reflux, gueasiness. If I can do it, you can do it. I made it through and now I am:

nomoresmoking'
18 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 54 minutes, 27 seconds

Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
(female)

mzrunner HB User
Exclamation Re: A Newbie with a few questions please

im new and i would like to find out how to post a post

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Looks like you are posting, so I am thinking you want to start a new thread? If so, go back to the Smoking Cessation list and toward the bottom of the page, on the left, click on New Thread. Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
(female)

petlover1003 HB User

Thank you for the good responses....I appreciate them! Tomorrow is my appointment with the Dr. I'm going to get the prescription but now I'm kind of chickening out about the whole quitting thing. I will take the pills though and see if that will turn me off enough to want to quit entirely. Part of me is screaming QUIT and another part of me is whispering....well maybe wait just a little while longer!

Closed Thread