It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

anita41 HB User
going to stop next week for the 5th time

hi im 41 and this may sound stupid started smoking when i was 34 split up from my ex after 17 years went out to pub with mates and of coarse the say do you want a puff of the cigarette and yes i did then got to having half of one then a full one then starting buying them totoally hooked now want to stop realy badly tried the patches but then a get the awful craving of wanting just one and it starts all over again any advice please anita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: going to stop next week for the 5th time

First: it is very very hard to quit!!!!!!!!!!!

Second: you can do it!!!!!!!!!!

I began smoking at 13 and smoked for 35 years I've only been smoke free for 16 weeks so I'm not an expert. I think it's been one of the hardest things I've ever done. Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about starting back. The craves are now not as often or as strong but they are still there. You have to fight thru them one at a time. Every time you fight thru one you use that experience as proof that you can overcome the urge next time. The pattern just repeats it self over and over. From what I understand it gets easier with time but never completely goes away.

Every morning look in the mirror and promise yourself you are going to do your best to make it thru the day without smoking.

When you have a crave recall the morning ritual at the mirror. Remember the craves last less than a minute so you just got to fight for a minute at a time. For me the first week was really hard because those one minute cravings came every minute and 10 seconds.LOL

At the end of the day look in the mirror and congratulate yourself for making it thru the day.

I also highly recommend reading the many free articles published by Joel Spitzer. His articles really helped me understand nicotine addiction and contained a lot of tips that helped me thru the toughest times.

Good luck and keep us updated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
(female)

anita41 HB User

hi red 60 thank you so much for the advice i will take a few seconds to look in the mirror and tell myself im strong and i can do this. the patches do really help but when i move down to the 14mg i get weak do you think its safe to stay on the 21mg a bit longer than 6 weeks i wish i could just stop without the patches but the cravings would get the better i think they say the craving for a cigarette never goes away my friend been stopped 10 years but still could have one my start date to stop yet again will be this monday 4th feb so will keep you posted and help each other through this even though your doing really good at the moment theanks anita

Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
..........the patches do really help but when i move down to the 14mg i get weak do you think its safe to stay on the 21mg a bit longer than 6 weeks.........
I don't think there is any harm other than exposing yourself to more nicotine for a couple extra weeks. I know people who have quit smoking using gum and still are chewing the 4mg tablets after 5 years. Here's my point, if your goal is just to quit smoking then substitute the way you intake the nicotine. At least with the patch or gum you know what's getting in your body. It's not the ideal solution but much healthier than smoking.

If you want to break the additction then at some point in time you have to say good bye to it.You have to accept the fact that you can never again smoke or use nicotine in any manner. In effect you have to lay your long time pal to rest and begin a new and much better life with out nicotine. I think really accepting this truth is the toughest mental challenge we have to face to be successful.

If you can, please read some of Joel's information on nicotine addiction. There are a number of physical and psychological changes that occure during withdrawl. Having knowledge and understanding of these events makes it much easier to manage. For example nicotine effects the rate your body depletes caffeine so you may need to make adjustments if you use a lot of caffeine. You will also experience a temperary drop in blood sugar with the loss of nicotine. This can offset to a certain degree by drinking a little extra juice for a few days while your body adjusts. This is just a small sample of things I learned from reading articles from his library.

Good luck we know you can do it

Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
(female)

anita41 HB User

hi red 60 ok im really going to do this and it does help knowing i have got some one here for support which will make in easier. i have not heard that book before but im sure our library will have it just that me in the uk and you in the states we are bound to have different things i smoke around 12 to 15 cigarettes a day which you may be thinking thats not a great deal but i know i have to give them up and you have got to want to give up its expensive and your health suffers my worst moment for wanting a cigarette is in the morning and that must be a problem if thats the first thing you want when you get up. are you on anything now to help you stop or you just being strong and telling yourself you can do this you are helping me through this so stay in touch thank you anita

Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

When I quit I used the nicotine gum, 4mg for the first two weeks then the 2mg for another month. I don't know how much the gum really helped because it was still very hard in the beginning. I really didn't have that much difficultly comming off of the gum. If I can quit anyone can. It took me over a year to try after I decided I had to quit. I was afraid to even try.

Nicotine addiction is the same if you smoke 50 a day or 5 a day. It is just as difficult for a light smoker as a heavy smoker. Thats why you can never let yourself believe you can smoke just one or even just one puff. People have quit for years and then fell victom to the belief they could enjoy just one, to find themselves back to their previous level of addiction.

The articles by Joel Spitzer are available online but it's against the rules to post any links. Good Luck

Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
(female)

anita41 HB User

i did try the 4mg gum yesterday and it was like having an ash tray in my mouth and was burning the sides of my mouth i did get some mouth wash last summer you spray it in your mouth then when you lit a cigarette up and smoke it it really tastes foul might give that a try too. and yes i do understand what your saying about smoking 50 cigarettes or 5 has the same affect, will check online about the joel advice do you find you eat more now that you have stopped smoking because i know when i tried to stop last time i found myself eating more, and can you tell a difference in your health, im going to do this for sure so i hope you can guide me through it too because i think if you have someone guiding and encouraging its easier to get through thanks so much anita

Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

anita you can do this!! Stay strong and tell the nicodemon to get out of your life! Begin now to change your habits. If you normally go straight for a ciggy in the morning, go for a drink of coffe or juice first. Or make your bed first, anything other than have the ciggy first. What helped me after dinner was, I normally went straight outside to smoke after eating. My habit breaker was I went straight to the kitchen to do dishes. In the car, instead of reaching for a cigarette, I had a bag of lollipops, and I used them in the car. Break your habits. Stay strong. Do you know cigarettes have almost 5,000 chemicals in them and we smoked them like they were nothing??
Keep strong.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
(female)

anita41 HB User

you got the right name and by the sound of it your making good progress i will try the bed making but i usually do that straight away when i get out of it then go for cigarette so my daily routine is to make the bed have a ciggy go to work ciggy on the way leave work yep another after tea is hard because always want one after a meal and the evening when im relaxed and watching tv i have one say every half hour to an hour i smoke around 12 to 15 a day what did you smoke a day and how have you quit oh bear in mind i will be buying a big bag of lollipops for the car thanks anita

Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
(female)

anita41 HB User

sorry a question nothing to do with not smoking is there a indication anywhere to tell you who is on line

Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita41 View Post
sorry a question nothing to do with not smoking is there a indication anywhere to tell you who is on line
Yes, just beside the userid, there is a bubble, if that bubble is green, they are online, if not, it is grey.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
(female)

anita41 HB User

aww thanks just felt i was sat here alone anita

Closed Thread