It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Can you be a healthy smoker?

Could it be that smoking gets a worse wrap than it really deserves? Is smoking really the health hazard that its made out to be or does it just exploit other unhealthy habits that we have. As an example is a cig better or worse for your health than a french fry. Does smoking cause damage because our diet is just to low in antioxidents. In Japan smoking is more common that in the US but cancer and CHD is still much lower. I've got a dirrection I'm heading with this that ties into smoking cessation. But for now I'de like to hear how you feel about this.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User
Re: Can you be a healthy smoker?

You may be healthy as far as weight and muscle, but, physically, no, I don't think you can be. Do you see a runner, chainsmoking? I don't hink so. They wouldn't be able to run. I cannot do half the things I used to do. Age has a lot to do with it, but, I am 39 years old and I have ZERO energy!! I take meds for heart palpitations. When I am one month quit, I will see if there is a difference and if I am able to wean off the meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Considering the fact that nicotine alone is a potent vasoconstrictor I would say cigarette smoking is very unhealthy. That's not taking into consideration all the other things that are in tobacco.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Maybe I should reword the question. Could you be a smoker but healthier than the typical non smoker by having an optimal diet, proper exercise and ideal body weight? Would we be better off making these changes instead of giving up smoking?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

I don't think so. Ask any doctor and they will tell you smoking is the number one preventable risk factor for most diseases.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
Maybe I should reword the question. Could you be a smoker but healthier than the typical non smoker by having an optimal diet, proper exercise and ideal body weight? Would we be better off making these changes instead of giving up smoking?
Stop it Red. Honey, I know you want to believe this, I would LOVE for this to be true. LOL
Your in denial about quitting is all. The nicotine has a death grip on you and you have to stick to your guns. I've watched a few people, ones that were pretty active and not overweight, good ate good foods and all, die from lung cancer. I don't want to put my family through that and you don't either. It is a long, slow and painful death. These stupid cigarettes are not worth it.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Hey Red
You appiled to my post about feeling great. Just stick with NOPE. Sounds like you just want to make excuses like texas said. Remeber the awful withdrawls. Just stick with your quit. You can do it. Then you can get really healthy.

Also I just wanted to add about other countries and them not getting lung cancer and such. This is true. To an extent. They put different chemicals in those ciggerettes. I watched a report on this as well. They make it with nicotine and sugar cane and something else I believe. But they don't use all the chemicals like they do here. But people are still getting lung cancer just not as much as here.

But Red keep up with your quit. You are doing so good. No more excuses lets beat this together. Sherri

Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Let me be perfectly clear I have no intentions of returning to nicotine !!!!! And my intention is not to tempt anyone who has already quit to relapse by thinking they could be be a healthy smoker.

I think this approach is a valid method to quit smoking actually. I believe in order to be successful at something you have to be fully committed. If your most important reason for giving up nicotine forever is your health then it only makes sense to do everything else in your power to improve your health. I think many people would be more successful if they spent some time improving other aspects of their health prior to smoking cessation. If your body is properly nourished, exercised and rested it can better deal with stress. If you indulge yourself into the whole healthy lifestyle then quitting smoking becomes a no brainer. On the other hand if I'm giving up smokes for better health and then hitting the drive thru for a burger and fries nearly every day I don't think my odds are to good because my actions are not consistent toward my goal of better health.

So what I'm suggesting is if you want better health and cannot seem to kick the habit. Start focusing your actions on a healthy lifestyle. learn as much as you can about diet, nutrition, exercise, ect............ Maybe even design your program specifically to counter the damage that smoking is doing to your body. If you stick to this for a period of time I believe that it will only be natural for you to quit smoking for good. You will already have in place many of the self support systems that you need to succeed.

Ok thanks for reading my rant. Now let me know what you think

Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

LOL
okay, it just really did sound as though you were making an excuse to smoke, my appologies!! I don't know on that though. If I were able to get healthy first, I may have decided I didn't need to quit,but, it could be different for the next person too.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Red I apologize as well. The way you did put it at first it did sound like it was a way to still smoke. I mean it sounds like your asking as long as you take care of yourself is it okay to smoke. But I was wrong. I am sorry.
That being said. I know alot of people who after quitting smoking turn to the gym. They start to obcess over that and getting healthy after quitting. You usually don't hear to often people getting healthy and then quitting. Although I know it has been done. I think it is a great way to feel good about yourself to get into shape as well as you quit. Alot of people do put on weight when they quit and that is why they revert back to smoking.

Red awesome job on the quit. You are doing so well. Keep up the good work and remember NOPE. Sherri

Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Stretched2Far HB User

Short answer: No.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
(female)

vikkic HB User

Wow Red, that is a question I used to mention ALL the time to try to defend my smoking! My mom is a bit overweight, but a nonsmoker and she'd always get on me for smoking and I'd always say, "Your weight is NO better than my smoking". My good friend is in that tanning salon twice a week and when she'd get on me, I'd say, "... and you are looking at skin cancer." My weight is right on, I don't go out in the sun w/o a load of sunscreen, I don't drink, and I eat healthy AND work out at the gym. I get physicals and the dr. always says, "Good" when he listens to my heart and breathing. My bloodwork is Perfect. I start my "quit program" tomorrow. I had some chest discomfort this past weekend and some difficulty exhaling on deep breaths. I may have a chest cold or I may have pulled something at the gym. But I began thinking that maybe I didn't and don't have a cold, maybe this is IT for me. I decided that I don't want to have to wonder, every time I have a pain or cough, "Is THIS IT for me... is This curtains for me"? I don't know if you can be "healthy" and smoke. But I do know that once your dr. tells you, "you have lung cancer" or, "I detect blockage in your artery", then you may very well be wishing you were overweight, or that you "only" have a maligent spot on your face (my sister did from years of playing tennis w/o sunscreen) and she had to have a few procedures done, but she's fine now). I'd rather be on a diet than be on chemo. The treatment my sister had for some malignent areas on her face, arms and legs was NOTHING compared to what I've seen people go through when they've had bypass surgery!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
(female)

Elidicious HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red60 View Post

So what I'm suggesting is if you want better health and cannot seem to kick the habit. Start focusing your actions on a healthy lifestyle. learn as much as you can about diet, nutrition, exercise, ect............ Maybe even design your program specifically to counter the damage that smoking is doing to your body. If you stick to this for a period of time I believe that it will only be natural for you to quit smoking for good. You will already have in place many of the self support systems that you need to succeed.
that's it!!

Closed Thread