It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

moejoe39 HB User
Talking Chantix - Day 1

I just started day one of chantix. What kind of side effects can I expect? I'm also taking cymbalta for depression and anxiety. My doc said it was OK to take these together. I'm just wondering what to expect, because I had many side effects when starting the cymbalta.

Thanks for any response..........

Future non-smoker

Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
(male)

moejoe39 HB User
Re: Chantix - Day 1

OK - day 3 and I don't feel any different, still smoking like a chimney..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

vikkic HB User

MoeJoe, I just picked up my first box of Chantix. I start taking them tomorrow. The pharmacist said "take each does w/ a MEAL - not just a snack - and take w/ a full glass of water." I'm nervous. I am reading the side effects (upset stomach, vomitting, odd dreams), but I am more nervous of what will happen if I continue my 20 plus years of smoking. This past weekend I started getting a tight, "tingly" pain in my chest and I was having a hard time exhaling on deep breaths. I realized that if I'm not sick now, it's only a matter of time. I mean, how can you smoke for so long (as I have) and NOT have something bad happen? I don't want to wind up in the hospital having bypass surgery or getting chemo for lung cancer. So, I am willing to try to deal with nausea, and the other side effects if it means I wont have to periodically think to myself, "what if I have a heart attack and am all alone"? Or, "what if I get lung cancer and it can't be treated"? I hope you are doing well on this Chantix. Please post if/when you can so maybe I'll know what I'm in store for, or maybe even I'll feel like if you can get through it, so can I (you are a few days ahead of me). Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
(male)

has2bebetter HB User

I am again on day one of chantix at full does. This is the third time I have tried it. I quit for 3 months the first time but stopped taking the medication 2 weeks into it. And again about a month ago for 2 weeks. I am at it again and I have promised myself I will keep taking the medication for the whole time this time. I am going to quit and even though I am only on day one again I am feeling better already.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
(male)

moejoe39 HB User

I'm now on Day Seven, cigs are starting to taste nasty and I'm not getting the nicotine buzz I was getting before. I can no longer smoke a full cig without feeling sick.

I'm planning on quitting tomorrow or tonight, when my current pack is empty.

Side effects = Some vivid dreams but nothing disturbing. I'm also feeling a little speedy, kinda like I took some psudophed or cold medicine, Nothing that will stop me from quitting when my packs empty

Old 02-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
(female)

bootleg4now HB User

Hello to all!

I am currently on day 11. Have smoked for 16 years. Still smoking, though not as much. Seems like I can go for longer periods of time without the cigs and not notice.

Been having unusual dreams, which is kind of cool; but kind of not cool when they wake me up. Last night I was helping batman do something at my high school.......like I said, unusual.

I do have the nausea, if that's what you want to call it.....don't really feel like throwing up, but just don't feel right.

Smokes do tast bad, but I have always thought that they tasted bad. I have noticed that if I go for a long time without smoking, I don't get the niccotine buzz when I finally do light up.

I have noticed too that I sometimes get that feeling like I took some cold medicine. Kind of speedy, like Moejoe said. It is kind of wierd, but it does seem to go away......

I am going to try to stop smoking completely by this weekend, but we shall see how it goes.

Good Luck to all of us!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
(female)

twolitlboyz HB User

Well maybe i will jump in on your board since you guys seem to be right along with me, today will be my forth day of chantix, still on just .5 mg till tonight when i take my first second dose. It seems the last few days i have varied on my smokeing i noticed yesterday i went 6 hrs and didnt need one of course when i noticed it had been that long i had to have one lol, but i have also noticed that today i think about my quit date looming near and its like i panick and have to smoke one right after another like my brain is saying get all you can now.... I havent noticed any side affects so far but have read enough on here to know that i need to eat and such with these, so no nausea or anything and so far no dreams but like i said until tonight i have just been on one a day. It seems aside from the panic i cant seem to figure out what to do with my hands when i dont have a cig in them, is it the same with others?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
(male)

moejoe39 HB User

I'm on day 14 without cigs. I have cheated a few times but I don't feel like I've cheated. The cigs taste nasty and there is no positive reinforcement to keep smoking. I'm still getting cravings but they are getting better every day. Overall, this is the longest I've quit in 26 years.

Good Luck

Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolitlboyz View Post
Well maybe i will jump in on your board since you guys seem to be right along with me, today will be my forth day of chantix, still on just .5 mg till tonight when i take my first second dose. It seems the last few days i have varied on my smokeing i noticed yesterday i went 6 hrs and didnt need one of course when i noticed it had been that long i had to have one lol, but i have also noticed that today i think about my quit date looming near and its like i panick and have to smoke one right after another like my brain is saying get all you can now.... I havent noticed any side affects so far but have read enough on here to know that i need to eat and such with these, so no nausea or anything and so far no dreams but like i said until tonight i have just been on one a day. It seems aside from the panic i cant seem to figure out what to do with my hands when i dont have a cig in them, is it the same with others?
I too got quite nervous when my quit day approached but that did not deter me. I got up the next morning and proceeded as planned. Once I got thru 24 hours the rest was history. Not one puff. I truly hope you all are sucessful in your quits!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
(female)

twolitlboyz HB User

thank you for your support i think over the next few weeks or so i will need it, no i take that back i dont think i know i will need it. This is only like my third time trying to quit and obviously the other times wernt sucessful, and so of course i have the fear of failure going on adn to spend so much money and fail is just unthinkable lol. I just keep trying to tell myself i can do this i can do this, then i think i sound like the little engine that could lol. I have been corcheting alot and that helps some today i have slept alot i seem real tired today for some reason. have also noticed that after i do have a cig its like i didnt have one, i know that sounds odd, maybe i'm lacking the 'buzz' i keep reading about but i have to stop maybe 15 mins later and think didnt i just have one?? I have fibromyalgia also and that causes a type of brain fog stuff and on bad days my memory isnt that great so it may be that too. I dont know, i havent quit and as i said earlier its only day four on pill and seem to notice a few changes but then again they could all just be in my head.
moejoe congrats on the 14 days Im very proud of you, keep up the good work I cant wait to be abel to say the same thing as you...

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
(male)

moejoe39 HB User

Quote:
have also noticed that after i do have a cig its like i didnt have one, i know that sounds odd, maybe i'm lacking the 'buzz' i keep reading about but i have to stop maybe 15 mins later and think didnt i just have one??

moejoe congrats on the 14 days Im very proud of you, keep up the good work I cant wait to be abel to say the same thing as you...
You already quit, you just don't know it yet! The chantix starts blocking the nicotine before you quit. I actually had withdrawls the day before my stop day.....weird.

Thanks, and I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
(female)

starissa HB User

well i have descided to use chantix with the help of my doc to actually try to stop smoking. I set my next monday as my start date so i havnt taken anything yet. But since i have it in my head that im going to quit i havent been smoking as much. Kinda funny. MY doc told me too that the first few days i will still smoke but start not wanting too after awhile. Is this true? WHat helps too is my BF is also trying to quit so we can do this together. GL all who are doing it

Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
(female)

twolitlboyz HB User

yay!!!!!! I know my original quit day was supposed to be on the 1st but I didnt manage to do that, was haveing up to two cigs a day, but yesterday I had one and now am going on my first 24 hrs without one!!!!!!! This is the first morning in 20 some years I havent grabbed my smokes as soon as I roll out of bed. And the scary thing is this morning I didnt even think about it, isnt that sooo cool lol. Anyway i know 24 hrs isnt much but its a start right had to share with someone. Hope everyone is doing good with theirs.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
(female)

velveeta HB User

Quote:
yay!!!!!! I know my original quit day was supposed to be on the 1st but I didnt manage to do that, was haveing up to two cigs a day, but yesterday I had one and now am going on my first 24 hrs without one!!!!!!! This is the first morning in 20 some years I havent grabbed my smokes as soon as I roll out of bed. And the scary thing is this morning I didnt even think about it, isnt that sooo cool lol. Anyway i know 24 hrs isnt much but its a start right had to share with someone. Hope everyone is doing good with theirs.
That is all you need is that start. That first 24 hours. Once you know you can go 24 hours without a smoke it gets easier. Take it minute by minute if you have to. Seven more days and I will have a year of being QUIT!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
(female)

twolitlboyz HB User

Congrats on the year! I just made my 48 hr mark, and oddly today has been tougher then yesterday was Im not sure why. i can say my jaws are getting sore chewing and chewing and chewing lol. but I have learned I cant stomach speriment gum any more and I now need to vary my flavors so i have like 4 diffrent kinds in my pocket lol. You say you have made it a year and i sit here wondering if i can make it a week, i know if it wernt for the pills I wouldnt have gotten this far I already know that. Well good luck and keep me in your prayers lol......

Closed Thread