It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Stretched2Far HB User
Lightbulb All YOU Need Is POSITIVITY!!!

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PARAGRAPH! IT COULD SIMPLIFY YOUR QUITTING!!! PLEASE READ!!

Has anyone else thought this? About a month ago, I attempted a quit...I tried a really weird approach after one of my friends said "It's Al In Your Head...There Are No Nicotine Withdrawals...You Create Them With Your Own Anxiety". Have you ever heard of people just dropping the habit without ever looking back and without any withdrawals at all? I have too. And I've wondered why it's so easy for some to quit, and so difficult (seemingly impossible) for others. Anyways, while on this quit a month ago, I hung out with very positive, fun uplifting non smokers. I went 5 days without smoking without 1 withdrawals symptom. Shocking, No?? The only part I messed up with was thinking I could have a smoke every now and then and it wouldn't matter. I had one of my sister's cigs and what do you know?? I'm back to my old nasty habits. Last week, I stayed quit for 4.5 days. The entire time was HELL. I was complaing, B!tching, moaning...etc. etc. I finally relapsed yesterday. So, now I'm thinking. I'm going to start off tonight with my Deepak Chopra mp3 hypnosis. This worked very well the last time, and I honestly believe its my only hope for quitting. So next time, you try to quit....wake up...think positive as soon as you get up. Don't think to yourself "Man, I wish I had a cigarette." Just try to ignore, keep busy, get LOTS AND LOTS of sugar free chewing gum and bottles of water (flavored if you prefer.) And ignore the hell out of your cravings. Act like they don't even exist!! It may sound corny, but after watching "A Nightmare on Elm St" (the Freddy Kruger movie) I thought wow, Freddy reminds me of that blasted nicodemon. LOL! Anywhoo, At the end of the movie, the girl kills Freddy by turning her back on him, and believing that he doesn't exist. This takes all his power away, and everything goes back to normal! Crazy, corny, stupid, whatever...I think the nicodemon is like this!! Take away it's power and it's screwed!! Honestly, we've all tried to quit numerous times...everything from Chantix to the patches to the gum to the inhalors to the lozenges....and lets face it! THEY DONT WORK! If they worked, no one would be going crazy and finding quitting smoking the hardest battle theyve ever fought. I'm am going to start this tonight, and I will keep you guys posted on how it works out for me tomorrow!! Good luck (not that we need it!! ) and GOD Bless!!!!

p.s.-remember, don't become an for a freaking nasty weed that grows from the ground!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Re: All YOU Need Is POSITIVITY!!!

Streched

Smoking is harder to quit than heroine. It is a very addictive drug. It is also a habbit forming drug.(eg. after dinner-have smoke, break at work-have smoke, driving in car-have smoke, etc...) Each and everytime you quit it will be different than the last. Now some people can quit cold turkey, others have to use patches, gum, hypnosis, etc... It does not make anyone weak to have to use a Nicotine replacement. You have to try anything to quit as my doctor told me. Something that may work for you may not work for someone else.

My father quit for 7 years and one day I caught him smoking again. He then smoked for 3 years again. He has quit again and it as been another 8 years since he had a smoke. He is the strongest willed person I have ever met. But he says he still has dreams that he is smoking and every once and a while he would like to have a smoke. My uncle quit smoking with going on the patch and with the help of that has stayed away from a smoke for over 10 years and is still smoke free today. Those are just 2 people that I know that have stayed away from smoking and both used a different approch and they worked for what was right for them. Once you start this habbit it is the hardest thing you will ever have to do is to quit. It will always be there to get you when you feel weak. You just have to say NO.

For me this time I went cold turkey. Never thought I could do it. I have tried cold turkey in the past and my withdrawls were horrible. I needed something to take the edge off because If I didn't I would only last a couple of hours. I even have the patch on stand by if the withdrawls get bad this time. But I haven't needed them thus far. What is getting me through day by day is making a pledge to my family and friends that for today and only today I will not take a puff of a smoke. Not One Puff Ever. If I were to take a puff I know I will go back to my old ways. So every morning when I get up I look at my kids and promise them that for today mommy will not take one puff.

Good for you in trying to quit again. But what works for you won't work for someone else. Good luck Sherri. 9 days smoke free. NOPE

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 02-09-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Good luck with your quit. If all else fails, follow Sheri's simple rule "Not One Puff Ever". Repeat as neccessary.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Stretched2Far HB User

I understand all of this. And I think it's this negative thinking that gets so many people into trouble. Like on that 5th day of quitting, you remember "It's harder to quit that Heroine..." and then you think "Why even bother trying?" I agree with what your saying, but I'm just saying thinking like that hasn't gotten me anywhere yet besides relapse city. I could be wrong, but I figure anythings worth a try now. Good luck to everyone, I'll keep you guys posted.

Closed Thread