It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
(male)

anonumos HB User
Unhappy Chantix + Brain Fog (how long?!?!?!)

I started taking Chantix on Jan. 25. I quit smoking Feb. 1. While I've had a few cigarettes since then, I haven't had any enjoyment from them. I even passed by a cigarette someone had left in the stair-well, pleased that a few days later it was still there but had been crushed.

However, I quit Chantix Feb. 10 because I began to feel groggy and slow. Even now, 5 days after both my last cigarette and my last pill, I feel brain damaged. I've missed a day of work and have been falling asleep at my desk the other days. I get lost in ordinary conversation. This may or may not be linked to sleeping 4 hours a night for the last 2 weeks.

So, my doctor prescribed Xanax, though I'm afraid to start taking it. Xanax is scary and I have no idea how it will really affect me, especially with this brain fog from the Chantix.

My questions boil down to these:
  • Will Xanax help with the brain fog or lack of sleep?
  • How long is the brain fog supposed to last?

Even now I'm feeling extremely twitchy and a bit anxious, so maybe the Xanax will help. However, my brain feels covered in lead. My doctor won't give me any input about the side-effects of Chantix, and I'm really worried about this. If it doesn't clear up soon, it's going to be hard to keep my job.

PS: If I had known it was a dopamine agonist I would have thought twice about taking it, except I have actually quit smoking. I have experience with SNRIs and I prefer to not take anything resembling one.

Last edited by anonumos; 02-15-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: Chantix + Brain Fog (how long?!?!?!)

Congratulations on your quit anonumos!!

I can't help you with Xanax as I never have taken it, but about a week ago, I called my dr to tell him I started crying 2-3 times a day. Buckets full of tears, not just a tear or two. I am going through a very hard time and have had since the first of December when my dad had to go to the hospital and then had a heart attack in the hospital, then went to rehab for 6 or 7 weeks, came home Wednesday, and we may have to put him in a nursing home permantly as he cannot take care of hiself and mom is in very bad shape herself and I work. Whew, sorry about the long sentenance.
My daughter told me she notice how different I was at Christmas. She kept asking me if I was taking my Buspar. I said no I didn't need it. It had been 3 years since I had taken it and then for only a short time to get me through my panic attacks. She said I was very short fused, got very angry, which was somewhat understandable for what I was going through, but she said very angry very fast. I talked to my friend a couple of weeks ago and told her about my crying and she said she did the same thing! I began to wonder if it was because we came off of the Chantix around the first of Dec. That's when I called my dr and told him maybe I should start my Buspar again. He upped the dosage a little. I was afraid of taking it, with the Chantix problems and all, but so far, so good. I don't cry at the drop of a hat anymore and I haven't screamed at anyone lately.
Good luck and call your doctor. I have called mine from time to time when I think something was not quite right while taking the Chantix. Even now, my stomach feels tore up still.
I could feel the brain fog at times while I was taking Chantix, but not very often and it didn't last very long.

Closed Thread