It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User
long time smoker

i have smoked for 42 years is there anyone else who smoked that long and quit felt any better for stoping i was just wondering if i am doing the right thing i am stopped but have a realy bad cough and gunk coming up could anyone tell me of any experience of stoping some people say it can be worse for your health to stop after such a long time so i am a bit confused about this

Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

petlover1003 HB User
Re: long time smoker

Sharon,
I too have smoked for 42 years, starting at 16 when it was "cool". Luckily, I have never had any cough or obvious effects from all my years of smoking BUT I know internally there must be some and it will only get worse.
Today is my Day 7 without a cigarette. It's been the toughest week of my life but I'm hoping from here forward it gets easier or maybe I should say I hope it gets "less difficult" as I know it will never be easy.
I can't imagine anyone saying it better to just keep smoking as it's harder on you to quit. Well maybe if you're in your 90's and really old!! By that point I guess you've earned the right to keep smoking if you chose!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you for the reply i had not smoked from feb 6th but i slipped today again i am sick of myself and will stop tomorrow again i have been on and of since last year are you using any nrt also let me know how you are doing

Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

sharon....i also have smoked for 42 yrs. i have quit so many times i lost count over the yrs. my longest quit was 4 mos(patch) and 4 mos(cold turkey). over the last 2 mos. i have quit a few day, a wk etc. just playing around with it using the lozenges this time.
now i have anoth quit day...tomorrow. my hubby refuses to quit so that is my hardest thing, of having cigs in the house.
i really need to quit for my health, i already have copd.
anyway, i hope to keep coming on here and posting.
you can, and i can, be stronger than the nicodemon!
best of luck to you........bevann

Old 02-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
(male)

tmtabfree HB User

I am a 28 yr smoker. quit a few days and re-start. The sad part is i watched my father smoke untill he couldnt draw on a cig. no more. So he quit, and died a year later of lung cancer. The reason I am posting this is that right after he quit he started coughing up "gunk" and other signs that you are having. His doctor said it was normal for long time smokers to do this, it was his lungs "peeling" away the bad stuff that was stuck to them. So anyway good luck on your journey, it is worth it in the long run. BTW i have a quit date of 2moro!! My small kids have begged me to quit for the last year and i sure dont want them to go thru the same stuff i went thru with my father.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Sharon, I smoked about 27 years and had quite a bit of gunk come up after quitting. Occasionally, I still do in the morning, but not as much and not as bad. I occasionally still get a raspy voice and the need to clear my throat.
Yes, talk to your dr, but please stop smoking. I have heard so many why quit now after all of this time speeches. Even my best friend gave me all of those speeches, too old to stop, damage is done, it's the only pleasure I have, etc, etc, etc. She has now stopped also!

Bevan, Remember how I told you how horribly my mom is suffering from COPD? Keep that in mind as you are heading to a healthier you. You can do it, You can do it!!!

Good luck to all of you.

21 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours, 5 minutes, 40 seconds

Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Here's some more reason to quit smoking:

after 20 minutes

blood pressure, heart rate, temp of hands and feet return to normal

12 hours

blood oxygen level increases to normal, carbon monoxide drops to normal

48 hours

smell, taste begin to be normal, damaged nerve endings start to regrow

72 hours

You are nicotene free, bronical tubes will begin to relax, lung capacity starts to increase

10 days to 2 weeks

your body starts to adjust without nicotene

2 weeks to 3 months

your heart attack risk begins to drop, lung function is beginning to improve

3 weeks to 3 months

circulation is improved

1-9 months

sinus congestion from smoking, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased, cilia have regrown in your lungs increasing the ability to handle mucus, keep lungs clean and reduce infection, body energy increases

1 year

Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker

5-15 years

risk of stroke is that of a non smoker

10 years

risk of death from lung cancer is cut to almost half if you were an average smoker-1 pack per day, risk of cancer of the mouth, esophegus, and throat have decreased

15 years

your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person that has never smoked

If we quit smoking in time.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARON1952 View Post
i have smoked for 42 years is there anyone else who smoked that long and quit felt any better for stoping i was just wondering if i am doing the right thing i am stopped but have a realy bad cough and gunk coming up could anyone tell me of any experience of stoping some people say it can be worse for your health to stop after such a long time so i am a bit confused about this
I'm now smoke free for 4 1/2 months I smoked for 35 years starting at age 13. I smoked between 1 and 2 packs a day during that time. I honestly can't tell you I feel like a new person since I've quit. There are times when I actually felt worse some of this is just side effects of nicotine withdrawl and will eventually go away. It's also possible that smoking sometimes masks other existing problems and once you quit they could become noticable. Regardless of how you feel health benifits begin within hours of smoking that last cigarette.

Quote:
............i am stopped but have a realy bad cough and gunk coming up................
Personally I never experience this yet. But it is not uncommon and is part of the detox process. This is the body’s way to clear smoke-related mucus and phlegm. This is only temporary. Don't you think it's better to be out rather than in the lungs.

Quote:
....some people say it can be worse for your health to stop after such a long time so i am a bit confused about this.....
Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, statistics show the people who benefit the most from stopping smoking are older people who’ve smoked their whole lives. According to research published in the journal Tobacco Control, the majority of lives saved due to more widespread use of smoking cessation programs would be among older smokers, particularly those in the 45-60 age group, because that’s the age when smoking-related diseases really start catching up with people.

It's never to late to benifit. Those who have suffered heart attacks and strokes greatly reduce their risk of another heart attack or stroke by stopping. If you’ve been diagnosed with COPD, quitting smoking is the only way to stop the progression of the disease. Even people with lung cancer improve their chances of recovery.

The short answer is it's never to late to quit!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
(female)

GeorgiaGirl404 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARON1952 View Post
Hi Sharon,
How are you doing with quitting?
I have been a smoker for 45 years. I had my last cigarette Feb 6, 2008. I am using Commit lozenges, 4 mg. I don't think I could do it without them. However, I am finding each day I am using less of them. So far I have not been coughing and have had no gunk coming up.
I can't say I feel better but I have noticed I am not quiet as winded, and I seem to have a little more energy. I'm hoping this will continue to improve. I hear former smokers say they feel SO MUCH better since quitting. I look forward to saying that one day.
I must say this is the hardest thing I have EVER tried to do in my life, but I'm praying I can do it.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you bevan let me know how you get on

Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you for all the replys they will be a good help to me i have not stoped yet because my husband left his gigs out but we are going to try tomorrow again i know i can do it as i stoped about 4 times last year but i have to try a bit harder the longest i have been of is 9 weeks let me know how you all get on and i will keep in touch

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

well thats me trying to stop again with patches and inhalator i will let you all know how it goes is anyone else stoping today

Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
(female)

turtledee HB User

HI Sharon,
I have smoked for over 45 years and trying to quit. I was on Chantix for one month then stopped, I was good for about 2 weeks. I am on it again, into my second month, and doing very well. This med doesnt replace the nicotine like some of the others do, it blocks the craving. You pick a quit date the day you start you med, I went a about 7 days on it and still smoked, but it was a lot less than before. I have been on the Chantix now for 8 weeks and have only smoked 1 cig and it choked me so I put it out. I do find myself reaching for them when I do certain things and after I eat, but thats just out of habit. Now I keep candy, grapes and such within reach, it helps alot. It you want to find out about Chantix, ask you doctor or go to their web chantix.com. I dont usually advertise but this has worked better than anything I have tried, and for an old smoker of 2 packs a day for 45 plus years, thats saying something . Good luck in your quest, my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else trying to kick the habit.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi everyone hope you are all doing better than i am this must be my 10th quit and i am only into the second day i have a realy bad cough so i am trying harder this time but i was realy p--- of as a womam notecet i was using my inhalator and asked if i had stopped smokink i told her i had and she told me her mum and dad stopped 2 years later the both had cancer she says it was caused by the shock to there bodies by stopping some people can be very tackless i wasnt very happy and it made me think again if i am doing right as i smoked for 42 years and only got the cough after i stopped

Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
(female)

petlover1003 HB User

I'm getting there slowly....today is Day 25 without a single puff. My biggest fear is that after I quit (right now I'm still in the "quitting stage"....not past tense yet) I will let my guard down somehow and start again. I've heard of so many people who quit for many months or years and then you hear they started up again. I just think this sounds so stupid to have gone through all the agony and hardship only to start up again!! I think when they say you can not have ONE SINGLE PUFF the rest of your life, this is probably good advice. BTW, I praise Chatix...to me it's the only way I think I could be where I'm at now.

Good luck to all of us who are still in the process and a special congratulations to those who have reached a 1 year milestone!! That's HUGE.

Closed Thread