It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User
Cold turkey is workin for me!

I know its supposed to be the hardest way to quit, and I have said to myself "thats it, this is my last cigarette!" about a thousand times, but this is working for me so far. This will be the second time Ive quit, the first time with the patch and my smoking husband gone for a month, so it was a bit easier. This time I just got so sick of being controlled by smoking and it was just in me to quit. It was hard at first, but Sunday night will be a whole week. I havent cheated, not once, not even a puff. I did cut down before quitting completely. I was down to 3-5 a day, but trust me, cutting down doesnt do it...you have to go all the way. The whole reason I started up again after quitting for 9 months was being I thought I could handle one here and there.

The first few days were the worst, especially after 72 hours, but it also didnt help that its a week before A/F visits, so Im giving myself extra points for dealing with that and not just giving in because beleive me I was tempted. This morning will be the first morning I dont have to go to work and usually the first thing I think about in the morning is "wheres the smokes!!" Well my brain is getting used to not smoking, and its not even been a full week yet! I knew it would get better, it did last time, and that time I was even on the patch!

Good luck everyone!

Oh by the way, I feel like I have more energy and I wasnt in a crabby mood this morning, and usually I wake up with a headache, so maybe all this time hte nicotine was causing it....hmmm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
Re: Cold turkey is workin for me!

that is great that you've been strong enough to stay quit!
i have posted on this board for over a year now. have quit and gone back so many times in my life. i am 58 and have smoked for about 42 yrs. i will be using the lozenges again when i am really craving.
my hubby has quit with me everytime over the yrs. his last quit with me was in july for 3 wks. i had a major family issue and went right back to smoking! the last couple mos. though he refuses to quit, because he said in 38 yrs he quit with me every time, and i don't stay quit.
anyway i am trying again tomorrow, i'm getting to the point that i don't like the taste or smell of them. so it's time to quit once again.
all the wonderful people on this board are probably tired of hearing i quit!
i have also had copd for about 13 yrs. quit for 4 mos. when i got the diagnosis. my main problem for the last 2 mos. is hubby smoking, and me taking just 1 of his cigs! ya right, no such thing as just 1! i feel like such a loser!
best of luck to you, you sound like a very strong woman!

bevann

Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Thumbs up Re: Cold turkey is workin for me!

Way to go saphire

Hang in there Bevan! You can do it, you can do it. I know there are times I want to smoke, but really, it goes away within moments sometimes if I find a distraction and take my deep breaths. I know if I smoke one, I will smoke more than one and then more and more. I refuse to smoke one!

21 weeks, 6 days, 15 hours, 37 minutes, 40 seconds

Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

thankyou nomore for cheering me along, i need all the support i can get right now! i still had 2 cigs left this morning....so, of course i am smoking them, then no more! how did you get thru your quit, any nrt, chantix etc? another problem i have besides hubby smoking is, i am physically disabled, so can't do alot of chores in one day, so i am really bored with myself. any idea about how to keep my hands moving?
you are doing just wonderful in your quit! you must have alot of will power! before you know it, you'll be a life time quitter, keep on going!!!!
thanks again......bevann

Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
(female)

velveeta HB User

Saphire82, I am cheering for you big time!! I really admire cold turkey quitters! They truly are the strongest of the strong! But I truly admire anyone who quits no matter how they choose to get the job done. It gets easier I swear. I am quit 11 months and feel fantastic. I used Chantix but got the job done, I am finally free and hope everyone here finds sucess!!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

how did you get thru your quit, any nrt, chantix etc?

I used Chantix. Chantix made it easy to quit. It takes away the desire to smoke and then even smelling someone who just smoked smells awful! Chantix has some nasty side effects though, but I got through them, or at least I am almost through them.

another problem i have besides hubby smoking is, i am physically disabled, so can't do alot of chores in one day, so i am really bored with myself. any idea about how to keep my hands moving?

If you don't work, read everything on the internet. That will keep you busy for a while. Ok, how about crossword puzzles, chew on a straw, a sucker, sewing, knitting, make a scrapbook.

you are doing just wonderful in your quit! you must have alot of will power! before you know it, you'll be a life time quitter, keep on going!!!!
thanks again......bevann[/QUOTE]

Thank you bevann. No, I do not have will power. It was the Chantix. When I would get a small craving, I took deep breaths and the cravings went away. I am such a non will power person when it comes to smoking, I have never tried before now.

Good luck!!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

Just a quick update...Im not sure if the some questions were directed towards me but I didnt use anything, no NRT, chantix, nothing. Just plain old quit smoking. So far Ive been a non-smoker for 1 week and 3 days and as of now I rarely think about smoking. Something if I see my husbands pack laying down there on the counter I have a teeny tiny urge to grab one but its getting easier to just ignore it. I think it will go in time. Another thing is that you know how you are so tempted to smoke in a stressful situation? Well I had one and I assumed that I would've been like "OK wheres the smokes I need one now!" but I didnt. Its getting a lot easier. Most the time I dont think about it, just mostly when I see a pack laying on the counter, which is pretty bad for my husband to do that since he knows Im quitting but oh well....Im stronger than that.

Take care and happy (well hopefully) and successfull quitting! I'll update again soon

Closed Thread