It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

velveeta HB User
Since I quit...

Just want to share how I feel since I quit 11 months ago. Within a week of my quit, my awful, really awful cough ceased! This was such a relief to me as I thought such terrible thoughts about that cough. When the cough stopped so did the terrible thoughts of death. Who knows, I may still die of smoking related causes but at least I am no longer contributing to them. I laugh more and my laugh sounds different than before too. My voice has actually changed to some degree also. When I laugh really hard now I don't go into one of those coughing fits either. I sleep better at night and have not been sick with anything since I kicked the butts, like those colds that seem to hang on forever. My sons are very proud of me. I have even gotten my husband to quit and one of my sisters and her husband also. In some small way I feel as if I have inspired some to quit. And no I did not nag them!! No amount of nagging made me quit. I was ready! My lung capacity has increased alot. I go to the gym now and can do things that were not possible when I smoked. I gained a few pounds but can shed them just as easy as I shed those cigarettes. I posess power that I never knew existed but was always there. Just tap into that! If you really want to quit you all will do this when it is the right time for you. Just never give up! I always thought I would die with a cigarette to my mouth. Not gonna happen now and I am thrilled at that. It is not always an easy journey but I promise you will get to a place that will make you happy that you stuck with the quit. This board and the folks I met on my journey played a big part in my quit too! Hang in there everyone, I know you can do it. I smoked 35 years an average of 1 and a half packs a day! You are stronger than you think you are!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Since I quit...

I so agree with everything you said velveeta! I am a quitter of 1 1/2 yrs. I was a die hard smoker, I was NEVER going to quit. Now I cannot imagine myself as a smoker. I love not hacking, smelling and being a slave to the smokes. And best of all this winter, I am not freezing my a$$ off to have a smoke.

I can promise all of you it will get better!! There will come a day when you do not even think of smoking. You do not have to worry about if you can smoke here or there. The withdrawls you are going through will go away. You will and can live smoke free.

Get help if you need it, do whatever you need to and stay quit. Treat nictotine for what it is a drug. You can beat this, there are two of right now on this board as proof!!!

Good for you velveeta!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

GeorgiaGirl404 HB User

Congratulations velvetta, you are an inspiration!
Today is my 11th day being smoke free. I have smoked way too many years. Never thought I could make it this long but I'm hanging in here.
Do you remember how long it took before your energy level increased? It feels so good not to wheez and smell like a dirty ashtray. My only negative so far is I want to eat more. Oh well, I will deal with that later.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl404; 02-18-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: word omitted

Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

My energy level, it gets better by the month but the best I felt was about 5-6 months into the quit. I had alot going on while I was quitting. My mom died 5 days into my quit and I had a hysterectomy 2 months later and hormones were all crazy. I got everything worked out pretty good now. I actually feel fantastic. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and have started to change my eating habits. Eating more frequently and making better choices and totally cutting out some things, I am slowly moving the scales back down. I take no meds other than a hormone patch and some creams, and also take vitamins. I want to keep it that way for as long as I can. Between quitting and changing my eating my energy level is better than it has been for a long time. I am 50 and feel pretty darned good! I hope you all feel just as good!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
(female)

Reyne HB User

velveeta-
Wow you over came alot after your quit. Sorry about your mom that must of been hard and not having your usual "crutch"..you are strong.

I did have a question about your hormones. Did you have hormone problems after your quit? I am 37 and for some reason I started having pelvic & groin pain. After a year of pain killer, every MRI, CT Scan, Bloodtest and about 15 Doctors, I finally have some relief. I am on the Lupron shot which shuts my system down to menopause. They are thinking estrogen/endometriosis is the cause.

I am wondering if it had to do with when I quit!? Any reason for you to think the same?

Once again...I admire what have been through and still smoke free!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
(female)

velveeta HB User

Reyne, To tell you the truth, I had my hormones checked cuz I did not feel like myself. I had just gotten off Chantix early as I did not want to be on it for surgery. Between mourning, getting off Chantix and the hysterectomy I just cried alot and would not get dressed and go out. Decided to go see my sisters doc who does bio identicals and he has fixed me right up. They were some what wacked out. I have no other choice but to be strong and by God I am doing it. I hope you find a remedy for what is ailing you and stay strong in your quit!!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
(female)

velveeta HB User

Georgia girl still hanging tough?! One day at a time!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

velveeta i was reading your post and i am on the 2nd day of my quit i feel a lot more confident now i did stop before it only lasted 9 weeks but i hope i can stay of for good this time

Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Hi velveeta!

Can I jump in this conversation and ask what bio identicals are?
I am also interested in your crying. I quit Chantix around the second week of December, a few days after my dad had to go to the hospital with several things wrong. During his stay, he had a heart attack, and my mom is COPD and needs lots of dr. visits and Christmas was coming, etc, etc. We don't have family near, so I was trying to take care of mom, dad, and also work. At Christmas, my son, daughter and their families came in. I told them I sure picked a bad time to quit smoking. After they all left, I started crying a lot. I mean 2-3 times a day, bucket fulls of tears. If someone asked how I was doing, there came the tears. A couple of weeks ago, I called a friend I hadn't talked to in a few weeks. I was telling her about my crying and she said she did the same thing. She quit her Chantix a couple of weeks before me. I didn't think much of my crying because I thought with all I had going, I was just very stressed. My friend wasn't stressed though. She couldn't figure out why she was crying. Now, I wonder if this is an after effect of Chantix. My dr. put me on a generic of Buspar for anxiety. A low dose, but it seems to help. I haven't cried in several days until today. I talked with a case worker and dad came home Wednesday, but we may have to put him in a nursing home and that breaks my heart. My mom was close by so I wiped the tears fast so she wouldn't see.
Sorry so long, but it caught my eye about your crying when you stopped Chantix also.
Congratulations on your quit!! Yes, I can't believe it, but I am still quit also.
Thanks for listening.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa,

Sharon is on her way to a healthier life!!
Keep going. It will go fast. Keep busy, take deep breaths and keep in touch.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
(female)

velveeta HB User

Bio identical hormones derived from plants. I did not want to take the pills which are from pregnant mares. I believe my hormones were screwed up anyway before during and after the hysterectomy so I just had him test me so he could possibly help. But I do think I came down off the Chantix because I felt wonderful, mentally while I was on it. Go fiquire, I felt so good on Chantix I was able to quit the cigs without being ugly and nasty like on previous attempts. Everything seems to be ironing out okay for me now. I am taking care of myself better these days!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

Hey, I want to thank those that have quit and come back to post their good things about quiting, it really lifts spirits when people are quitting. I've been quit for 22+ days now, cold turkey, and I would have thought I would feel hella better by now, but I'm not. It really gets to me sometimes not feeling much much better physically, but when other people post about feeling better later down the quit-road, it lifts my spirits to see that I can be a life-long quitter and feel better.

Thanks again!
-Noggin

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hey Noggin I quit C/T also I think I started feeling better approx 3 mnths after. When you think about it you really need the time for your body to detox and repair 3 mths in exchange for the years if abuse. You'll see you'll get there before you know it.

Keep up the great work everyone.

PS I was weepy as heck and I didn't use chantix I was depressed that my best friend Marlboro wasn't around to help with the stress.

Last edited by Liamsmom; 02-26-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
Hey Noggin I quit C/T also I think I started feeling better approx 3 mnths after. When you think about it you really need the time for your body to detox and repair 3 mths in exchange for the years if abuse. You'll see you'll get there before you know it.

Keep up the great work everyone.

PS I was weepy as heck and I didn't use chantix I was depressed that my best friend Marlboro wasn't around to help with the stress.
Thanks for letting me know about the weeping. I have been under tremendous stress since Dec. Smoking use to help with the stress and now I need to find a new way to deal with it besides smoking and crying. I refuse to smoke again so maybe I will throw pillows!

nomoresmokin'
24 weeks, 16 hours, 56 minutes, 31 seconds

Last edited by nomoresmokin'; 03-03-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

24 weeks is phenomenal a major accomplishment many congrats to you.Deep breaths ,and counting helped me with stress and I have lots of it. Keep up the great work you'll see pretty soon you'll even stop counting the days and look up and it'l be a year already.

Closed Thread