It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Nicoderm CQ "Steps"

Hi all,

I am happy to report that I quit smoking 9 days ago. This is my second attempt, and it is definitely harder this time around....I started out on Step 2, which offers 14mg of nicotine and is supposed to be used for two weeks. Then I'm supposed to go on Step 3, which is 7mg of nicotine for two weeks.

I've done okay, but I kinda wanna start with Step 1-- which is 21mg a day for 6 weeks. I originally shunned this because you're supposed to be on Step 1 for six weeks-- which would total $150. Then I realized that compared with what I spent on smoking, it was pretty comparable. I used to smoke about 15-20 cigarettes a day-- and Step l is supposed to be for people that smoke more than 10 daily.

What I'm wondering is, do you guys think it would be bad now if I went on Step 1 and went from a lower level of nicotine to a higher one? I'm afraid I'll have weird side effects from increasing the level of nicotine in my body now. But, I don't know how well the 14mg (Step 2) is working. Yes, I've stopped, but I feel that my withdrawal symptoms and cravings are worse (possibly due to some other stresses I have in my life....)

So again, if anyone has any experience going from a lower level of nicotine to a higher one using the patch, or if you have any thoughts on the matter, let me know....

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

Evonne667 HB User
Re: Nicoderm CQ "Steps"

Hi mizzaj

I've been quit smoking for 1 month & 1 week tomorrow, and like you I started on the 14mg patch until I got to see the nurse a week after. I explained to her that I'm already on the 14mg patch but my cravings were unbearable and I was scared I was on the verge of giving in

She then prescribed me the 21mg patch for 6 weeks with 2mg chewing gum, as and when needed but no more than 8 pieces in a day.

Since then it has been alot easier, the cravings are manageable and the only side effects I have is the achiness and itchiness of where the patch is applied.

My advice would be to try out the 21mg patch, if you do get unmanageable side effects then reduce back to the 14mg, at least it would be better than going back to smoking.

Keep us posted and Congrats on deciding to quit smoking

Evonne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Nicoderm CQ "Steps"

Thanks, Evonne! Congrats on being smoke-free! It's good to know that you had an experience with going up in dose with the nicotine patch and didn't have any problems. I too get an itchy feeling where I apply the patch-- but it goes away pretty quickly. You're right though-- whatever side effects I may have from upping the dose is better than going back to smoking!

Thanks for the reply!

Closed Thread