It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
(male)

jaydee101 HB User
Is it me or is Cold Turkey hell ?...

Hi,

I have been quitting since 22 January cold turkey this time. I have tried patches and gum etc but this seems to be harder but better if that makes sense. I have had a couple of minor relapses (2 cigs after a pint in the pub), but on the whole, still pleased. However, please could you advise if these symptons are just withdrawl ?. I have been to doctors, but tests have come back with all normal results. I find that I have an increase of wind after meals, the feeling that my heart is beating twice as fast as it should, slight headaches, and generally achy all over. I feel quite spaced out as well. Please help. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Is it me or is Cold Turkey hell ?...

Totally normal I had all those symptoms with the exception of the "wind" as you all say over there. I think because you relapsed a wee bit it may be that you're having minor symptoms of the initial withdrawal symptoms. When I quit c/t I was a wreck for a week and spaced out for about three months but your right it was my worst quit but my most successful as I'm now at almost 21 months. and I had to stop and think how long it's been because I don't think like that anymore.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
(male)

jaydee101 HB User
Smile Re: Is it me or is Cold Turkey hell ?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
Totally normal I had all those symptoms with the exception of the "wind" as you all say over there. I think because you relapsed a wee bit it may be that you're having minor symptoms of the initial withdrawal symptoms. When I quit c/t I was a wreck for a week and spaced out for about three months but your right it was my worst quit but my most successful as I'm now at almost 21 months. and I had to stop and think how long it's been because I don't think like that anymore.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Cheers
Thanks Liamsmom, should I have said "gas" like you guys say over there ?.. he he Is hell but certainly feeling better, last few weeks felt like I was having heart attack with the pulpitations... still, think I'm over the worst... You miss it still ?.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Things I don't miss are the cost over here they're about $7.50 a pack, the way I use to smell, and being winded all the time. The things I do miss is the "AHHHHHHHH" after a good meal or drink,having something to do with my hands aside from stuff food in my mouth, and the comfort they provided. Sometimes passing someone on the street whose smoking I take a deep breathe to remember the scent like the smell of an old friends perfume or cologne. But then I take a look around and see so many people who are fumbling to get that smoke in their mouth as quick as they can after being on the bus or train etc. and I think Jeez that USE to be me and I'm glad it's not anymore. This is my third quit (Hopefully my last I never try to be too cocky about it) and my hardest one and it's the one I'm most proud of because I worked really hard for it. I wear my c/t like a badge of honor cause it was earned the hard way. If you've made it this far you're more than half way there keep up the grand work!!!! It's really worth it.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
(male)

houtex54 HB User

I quit cold turkey 25 years ago. I was motivated by the news of my wife's pregnancy and I knew she could not quit if I continued smoking. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done, but I think the difficulty provided the greatest defense against relapse. I have stayed off cigarettes all this time because it was so hard to quit the first time, I am still afraid that I could never do it (quit) again.

After the first three days, cravings were still bad, but not quite as bad as they had been the day before. Changing life style that a new baby inevitably brings helps, too.

Hang in there!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
(male)

jaydee101 HB User

Thanks you guys, this site has really helped. I must admit, since Jan22 I have had a relapse at one point and had two cigs, however, the withdrawl symptoms have convinced me not to start again. So far, unless it really is just me, I've had increased anxiety and my heart starts to thump to the point of thinking that I'm gonna have a heart attack or something.. I get more gas than ever before especially after eating bread and potatoes, and now I have a stinking cold.. Is this usual for cold turkey ?. On the plus side, I've saved nearly 150 quid that I would have spent on fags (cigarettes if you're reading this in the US...LOL)

P/s If you're gonna go Cold Turkey, make sure you drink plenty of water...

Last edited by jaydee101; 03-25-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: I forgot something.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
(female)

babyface6802 HB User

Well I am in the process of quitting cold turkey right now I am only on day 8 but have been completly nicotine free since!! It really hasnt been that hard this time I've tried SEVERAL times even tried gum once (by the way YUCK) and I've quit for this long before but I usual cheat here and there and I havent cheated once this time!! I am very proud of my self! I think my strength is coming from the fact that I am going to be trying to get pregnant even though I decided that after I quit! I have always heard the 1st 3 days are the worst and actually those were the easiest for me! I didnt have too many cravings until day 5 and i dont know why but just couldnt stop thinking about those darn things all day.. But I only had that one day and I didnt give in so that has given me the strength to continue this nicotine free life!!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

baby....you should be proud of yourself! i am proud of you also! cold turkey is hard, i did that once, so i know. you must have really wanted to quit, which means you upped your willpower. i have been quit for 2 wks and 4 days. i really have built up willpower this time around. i am using the commit losenges to help me thru, but you go thru the program and gradually you stop taking them. i was a smoker for 43 yrs...2 pk a day, so i thought i really needed the commit.
best of luck to you, we can do this! keep posting here, there are wonderful caring people on this board to cheer you along.....bevann

Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

Luukay HB User

It's called "withdrawals"! And, yes...it sure enough is tough. If you want to better your health, be richer, feel better, it's worth it though. One thing for sure, you must stay busy and don't center your activities around your old habit, like whatever you did while you smoked. Develop new ones and get outside if you can and work in the yard, take a walk, join health club, do something that keeps your hands busy. Never too late to quit....smoked most of my life and now enjoying the benefits of a non-smoker, which is mostly a healthier me! Stay in there and don't give it up!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hey Jaydee wanted to check in and see how you are doing with the quit campaign (SP?) It's been a while give a us a few words to let us know how you are.

Incidentally if you needed more incentive to quit my neighbors wife whose about late 50's had brain and lung sugery today. Started out as just a cold that wouldn't go away. Pray for her everyone pray very hard please

Last edited by Liamsmom; 04-09-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
(male)

jaydee101 HB User
Cool Re: Is it me or is Cold Turkey hell ?...

Hey there Liamsmom & co, how y'all doing ?. Well, sorry not been around for a while, have been working hard and taking my mind off the cigs.. In truth, I would be lying if I said that I hadn't smoked since Jan 22nd, but honestly, since Feb 5th, I've had one, Kinda wanted to see how it tasted, and believe me, it was good. But then I thought about the reasons for giving up, the health aspects, and the money that all those "good" few minutes would cost me, and I haven't had one since. I can honestly, it has been rough. Over here in the uk as far as I'm aware we don't get the same support as you guys do, certainly with NRT. All of ours is so expensive it's cheaper to smoke, and for this reason I chose Cold Turkey. It hasn't been all smooth sailing and I've felt really down on occasions sometimes as if I'm having a heart attack, but hey, I've been to the docs and given a clean bill of health physically and I now know that if I do get struck down with anything bad, (fingers crossed I don't), my odd's have increased of winning, so thats good enough for me. How you guys all doing ?.

Last edited by jaydee101; 04-13-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
(male)

houtex54 HB User

Congratulations, Jaydee: more than 2 months!

It may help if you think of Jan 22 as a "false start" and think of Feb 5th as your "quit day" . Lack of a failure is a big part of success.

My son has tried quitting with help of chantix several times in the past year. Nausea as a side effect has (so far) always been the reason for his failure. Personally, I think cold turkey hurts deeper, but not as long as trying to quit with help.

Hang in there! You are well past the worst part. Now, and for the rest of your life, you just have to be careful of having old habits "sneak up on you". Helping someone else quit - or stay quit - is a good way to keep your own guard up.

Doug

Old 04-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I'm with Houtex just consider Feb 5th the quit date, and move on from there. As far as I can tell NRT etc are expensive here too. So Everytime I quit I did cold turkey. Just think how much money you'll save in future medical bills. Anyway on average most smokers try to quit at least three times before they are successful so consider yourself in good company.Just think it could be worse you could be french I understand even the dogs smoke there

Anyway as y'all say over there keep up the brilliant work!!!!! Glad to hear you're sticking with it. Nice American accent by the way ....y'all

Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
(female)

babyface6802 HB User

Hey everyone Its me again!!! And yep I'm still Smoke free!!! havent cheated once!! it has been 4 weeks today!!! I'm so glad that I did this I have saved so much money by not buying cigarattes anymore!! But I was wondering if it is normal to still be coughing when I havent had a cigarette in this long.. I am still coughing like I did when I smoked.. I had a friend who said the reason is because you have little hairs in your lungs and smoking paralyzes them and when you quit those hairs start to regain movement again so they are trying to push out all the toxins from smoking that are still sitting in your lungs...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
(male)

jbacon1230 HB User

Hello all, I'm a newbie here on the message board. I started taking Chantix like six day ago. Today is my seventh day. Tomorrow is my quit smoking day. I stopped today. I ran out of smokes and could not see buying another pack and having to wast them. So, here I am and 16 hours in with no smoking. It is not as bad as it was when I tried to stop cold turkey. I just thought I'd join this message board to give me one more thing to keep me smoke free. By the way, why don't Chantix or Get Quit have message boards? This would be really helpful.

Last edited by jbacon1230; 04-16-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Closed Thread