It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
(male)

jackie_sean HB User
the 4th day and 1/2 + some notes

It all started with infection in the nose and sinuses followed by sore throats and finally caughing. Since the sore throats, just couldn't smoke anymore, it makes me sick, and it's been the 4th day with no craving and no cigarette.

I am scared of the day when my flu/cold will be gone and I am scared that by the time when I feel better I will start smoking again.
I've been smoking for almost 15 yrs now - unbelievable when doing this calculation - probably half a pack a day, I would say I am an avarage smoker but I wish from all my heart to quit this stupid habit.

For these days with no smoke at all, I feel so dizzy, so tired ... btw, since no cigarettes I had no caffe either.

Something is wrong, it shouldn't be only me fighting my own battle against smoking, it should be more support out there. Sometimes ago I had also tried quit smoking and calling one of the QuitSmoking Hot Line, it was so funny, I got a "your call is important to us" and right after another automated message telling me that they are only open between 9 - 4 pm and it was 5 pm when I call. Conclusion maybe is one should quit smoking only between 9-4.
Asking my family doc what should I do to quit he only told me that all I need is the determination.

I think all these is BS, I am sick of people pointing at smokers like monsters and doing actually nothing to help us. All these laws banning smoking from everywhere started being more a form of bugging the smokers, instead of being effective and supportive - overall governments do rely in our money spent on the stupid smoke.

In the end I will continue as much as I can my own fight against this bad habit and ... how I wish !!! ... to never smoke again.

Please don't just read this message, post your experiences with this issue as it's the only way so far to help/support each other.

The following user gives a hug of support to jackie_sean:
clintonmoulton (03-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: the 4th day and 1/2 + some notes

Hi jackie

My smoking friends and I have been treated like lepers as most smoking people have been for the last few years. Little by little, we have all quit smoking. All but one friend. For me, I got sick a couple of years ago with a weird virus. I coughed and coughed and it hurt so bad. I didn't smoke for 2 or 3 days. Then I forced myself to smoke a little as I missed it and I was addicted to nicotene. That was scary! Here I was so sick and trying to figure out how I could smoke. Well, when I felt better, sure enough, I smoked as much as ever forgetting how sick I was. I wished they would raise the price of a carton of cigarettes to $100 a carton. I thought maybe that would make me quit (I wonder if it would). I knew I should quit. I moved my parents here with me a couple of years ago. My mom has had copd for several years. Now even with oxygen, she can hardly breathe. She suffers so much. When Chantix came out and I heard of people quitting smoking, I gave it a try. It was hard at times with the side effects, but it was working. I thought there is no turning back now. Even though occasionally I would like to have a cigarette, my hope is everyone quits smoking and the tobacco companies go broke. I resent that the cigs made me addicted!

You can do it!!! Yes, you can. It takes more than willpower. What do non smokers know about it? Here's to all of us who want to be healthier and smell better!!
Good luck

nomoresmokin'
25 weeks, 16 hours, 46 minutes, 5 seconds

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
(male)

jackie_sean HB User

nice, sad but true: "trying to figure out how I could smoke" ...

Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Jackie, I hope you get to feeling better real soon. I had the flu a few weeks ago, and it was no fun at all.

I just wanted to chime in about the banning of smoking comment you made. I live in FL, a serious nonsmoking/ban state. You can't smoke in restaurants here and you can't smoke in bars if the establishment derives more than 10 percent of its revenue from the sale of food. Most trendy spots do not permit smoking right outside of its doors, either. You can smoke in your car (for now) and your home unimpeded.

I never realized just how much this would help me in my quit. You see, I'd always had to sit outside at restaurants or have to find the "smokers' spot" outside wherever I was. And when you live in a nonsmoking state, everyone can smell you and your smoke stench. I can smell this now as a nonsmoker.

Being able to really experience restaurants and shopping and parks as a nonsmoker was a huge source of support for me in the initial months of my quit. I viewed it as a constant "reward," something so very important to a smoker in the midst of their quit. So much of quitting smoking is a mental battle and perceptions. I had two choices when perceiving the bans on smoking here: Either view it as non-supportive and cruel or view it as a tool to help me quit. I chose the latter.

I'd smoked for 19 years, and I was up to nearly three packs per day. I was a chain smoker. I bought a carton every third day. I smoked my last smoke on 5/22/07. I also voted for the banning of smoking in restaurants and other public places thinking it might help me to quit if I wasn't allowed to smoke at half the places I frequented. I was wrong in that respect, but the fact that folks can't smoke in so many public places here helped me stay quit.

Get well soon and stay strong. You can do this.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
(male)

jackie_sean HB User

I don't know, I don't like the kind of over-determination and the consensus everybody reach when it comes to screw up the smokers. That's all, otherwise, as long as you think it helped you out it's good but I think you tend to praise too much the restrictions instead of other factors ...

For me it's the 5th day of no smoking, I was thinking to go to a doctor asking for an advise. I am still coughing, maybe that's why I still don't crave so bad. I don't know what's gonna happen after my coughing is gone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
Jackie, I hope you get to feeling better real soon. I had the flu a few weeks ago, and it was no fun at all.

I just wanted to chime in about the banning of smoking comment you made. I live in FL, a serious nonsmoking/ban state. You can't smoke in restaurants here and you can't smoke in bars if the establishment derives more than 10 percent of its revenue from the sale of food. Most trendy spots do not permit smoking right outside of its doors, either. You can smoke in your car (for now) and your home unimpeded.

I never realized just how much this would help me in my quit. You see, I'd always had to sit outside at restaurants or have to find the "smokers' spot" outside wherever I was. And when you live in a nonsmoking state, everyone can smell you and your smoke stench. I can smell this now as a nonsmoker.

Being able to really experience restaurants and shopping and parks as a nonsmoker was a huge source of support for me in the initial months of my quit. I viewed it as a constant "reward," something so very important to a smoker in the midst of their quit. So much of quitting smoking is a mental battle and perceptions. I had two choices when perceiving the bans on smoking here: Either view it as non-supportive and cruel or view it as a tool to help me quit. I chose the latter.

I'd smoked for 19 years, and I was up to nearly three packs per day. I was a chain smoker. I bought a carton every third day. I smoked my last smoke on 5/22/07. I also voted for the banning of smoking in restaurants and other public places thinking it might help me to quit if I wasn't allowed to smoke at half the places I frequented. I was wrong in that respect, but the fact that folks can't smoke in so many public places here helped me stay quit.

Get well soon and stay strong. You can do this.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hi stenolady! i am so glad to see you back on here and still not smoking! you are doing wonderful! i enjoyed reading your posts this past summer. don't know if you remember me, but i was the one bouncing back and forth with it! well i did bounce some more, trying again now. day 2 today!
you have really inspired alot of people on here!....bevann

Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
(male)

jackie_sean HB User

My 6th day of non smoker is over. When I smoked I used to ask myself why am I doing it, now when I crave I ask myself why am I not doing it.
However it's unbelievable to me to be able to make it so far but I feel I can't hold on. I think I will go to doctor tomorrow and see if there's anything he may recommend. BTW, one tip : I gave up coffee too.
One thing I will be proud of: 7 days of non-smoking.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_sean View Post
My 6th day of non smoker is over. When I smoked I used to ask myself why am I doing it, now when I crave I ask myself why am I not doing it.
However it's unbelievable to me to be able to make it so far but I feel I can't hold on. I think I will go to doctor tomorrow and see if there's anything he may recommend. BTW, one tip : I gave up coffee too.
One thing I will be proud of: 7 days of non-smoking.
You've got a good reason to be proud, if you've made it 7 days you've got it licked. The only thing left is not to start again. Don't get me wrong, it will not be easy but you will not have any days that are more difficult than those you've already experienced. Just take it one hour at a time. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

jack, red is right, the nicotine is out of your system......now you need to hate the cig. completely! the nicodemon will want you to come back, so it can eventually, literally take your breath away.
i am a 43 yr smoker...got copd about 13 yrs ago, because i thought it could'nt happen to me.... well it did happen! how many people with lung cancer thought that was how their life would end?
you smoked for 15 yrs...it's really possible to get your lungs in good shape now. one thing that has helped me with yet another quit started on 3/9...when i think about having a smoke (it's really easy to get one, hubby is still smoking) i immediately tell myself...smoke, die........smoke, stop breathing, and that has worked for 5 days!
i do agree with you about smokers not allowed to smoke in certain places also. they have gone the extreme on that one. but, when i had stopped smoking(several times) i could smell smoke on even my clothing and linens, and thought it was gross.
you are doing great...i'm sure you will continue on the road to health living, just keep on truckin, best of luck....bevann

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
(male)

jackie_sean HB User

Thanks bevann26, it's good to have someone close.
Also scary stories are welcome - it's one way to make people aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevann26 View Post
jack, red is right, the nicotine is out of your system......now you need to hate the cig. completely! the nicodemon will want you to come back, so it can eventually, literally take your breath away.
i am a 43 yr smoker...got copd about 13 yrs ago, because i thought it could'nt happen to me.... well it did happen! how many people with lung cancer thought that was how their life would end?
you smoked for 15 yrs...it's really possible to get your lungs in good shape now. one thing that has helped me with yet another quit started on 3/9...when i think about having a smoke (it's really easy to get one, hubby is still smoking) i immediately tell myself...smoke, die........smoke, stop breathing, and that has worked for 5 days!
i do agree with you about smokers not allowed to smoke in certain places also. they have gone the extreme on that one. but, when i had stopped smoking(several times) i could smell smoke on even my clothing and linens, and thought it was gross.
you are doing great...i'm sure you will continue on the road to health living, just keep on truckin, best of luck....bevann

Closed Thread