It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
(male)

FanaticBattery HB User
Hello, I am new!

Good day ladies amd gents! How are you? Good I hope. I am new to these boards and I look forward to learning and sharing tips that can help us finally quit. I've been a smoker for half my life, 14 years, thus making me, sadly (waaaah!) 28 years old. I've tried just about everything to quit smoking and nothing seemed to work. I am now on my ninth day of Chantix and it seems to be working well. Thena again, yesterday was meant to be my quit day and I was doing well....until I ate lunch and lite up
Well, I am smoke free right now and happy that there is forum where we can discuss various methods, tips and tricks to quit. Glad to be here!!

Take care,
FB

P.S.
Please don't be turned off by the forum name, I am a fan of Metal music, lol.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: Hello, I am new!

So glad you are quitting at a younger age. Good. Stop now and begin to repair the damage done and live a very long and healthy life. Congratulations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

FB, good for you! I am also on day 9 of Chantix. I am smoke free and it is working. I have smoked for almost 17 years, and when I write that I can hardly believe it. Yay and good luck!!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

It is not easy is it?-uhuh Did you all have alot of nicotine withdrawal side effects in the beginning?
Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

No, it's not easy. I do believe my very difficult withdrawl symptoms were during the first week of pills while I smoked. Now in the morning of day 3 of my quit, I have cravings but not the withdrawl symptoms. I am a bit naseaus from the Chantix, but once I go a week with no puff, I may lower my dosage. So far, I've done everything as prescribed and none of the symptoms are a suprise. I have to say, though, as you pointed out, the symptoms the first week felt much more like withdrawl than what I feel now. Very strange as I was smoking. I do believe this will work as a cessation aid for me (I HOPE) as I really don't want to be a smoker any more. I don't want the smell in my clothes or hair. I am so tired of thinking about needing a cigarette when I've been in a 3 hour meeting at work. I think I am strong enough and as others have posted about various aids, the RX is really taking the edge off for me. I NEVER want to go through this again, though! ugh!! One thing I continue to think about is being nicotine free after the first 72 hours, that will be tonight when I go to bed! It seems like the perfect moment to reward myself with something fabulous! (Don't know what, yet, but I'll figure it out today, gotta do something!!)
mmee, have you quit or are you thinking about it?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

FB- It is ok to still have a cigarette when you start taking Chantix. My friend didn't lay the ciggies down until the second week.

Gidget, congratulations on quitting!!!
mmee-are you quitting also or thinking about it?

I have to say, my quitting on Chantix was easy to stop smoking. The cravings were not as bad as I thought. The first week of no smoking was the hardest. After that, I would only have a craving here and there. I would take deep breaths, think of something else and the cravings were gone. It got easier each day. The hardest part for me was the side effects of the Chantix. But I got through them and now I am 25 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes, 23 seconds smoke free!!
Everyone hang in there and you can do it.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

Nomoresmokin, you are an inspiration! Congratulations and thank you!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

I did quit using the nic gum. Good luck to everyone! I wish you all the best of luck!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
(male)

FanaticBattery HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresmokin' View Post
FB- It is ok to still have a cigarette when you start taking Chantix. My friend didn't lay the ciggies down until the second week.

Gidget, congratulations on quitting!!!
mmee-are you quitting also or thinking about it?

I have to say, my quitting on Chantix was easy to stop smoking. The cravings were not as bad as I thought. The first week of no smoking was the hardest. After that, I would only have a craving here and there. I would take deep breaths, think of something else and the cravings were gone. It got easier each day. The hardest part for me was the side effects of the Chantix. But I got through them and now I am 25 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes, 23 seconds smoke free!!
Everyone hang in there and you can do it.
Thanx for the grettings folks, I appreciate it. I am sad to report that I am still smoking but less. I am on day 12 of taking the pill. My prob is I am not focusing enough. I need to center myself, meditate a bunch and find even more reason to quit.
Imo the pill is working though. I have read that it may take a few quits to totally quit for some people, I might be one.
I am not going to stop trying though. I really do need to quit due to a neck surgery I had last month on the 22nd. I have my c5 & c6 vertabre in my neck fused. The fusion could fail due to nicotine being in my bloodsteam. I've heard other opinions from docs that stated that quitting is not needed. I just want to make sure, know what I mean?
I will be jumping back on the horse tomorrow, maybe even today. I need to frequent these boards more often, maybe even search for a chat room for folks who are trying to or have quit.

Please take care,
FB

Last edited by FanaticBattery; 03-17-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticBattery View Post
I need to center myself, meditate a bunch and find even more reason to quit.

FB, good luck! I think you have the reason, for sure!! You don't want 2 surgeries...I too am doing the Chantix. I'm on day 12 of the pills, day 4 of the quit. If you can get through those first few days without smoking, I think these pills REALLY DO work... I already feel better. I definitely have a habit I'm still trying to break, driving and smoking, post eating smoking, morning coffee and smoking, walking the dog and smoking, you get the picture...But it is actually not nearly as bad as I remembered it, I think it's because the pills are a good fit for my quit. Good luck, and you should definitely be checking in here more, it makes me feel less alone with the nicodemon.
Keep with it!!!
Gidget

Closed Thread