It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
have i really quit smoking?

i have'nt smoked since 3/9. my question is...i am using commit losenges when i get a crave....so, i'm still getting that nicotine. does nrt aids mean we still have the addiction, or does it mean we have quit smoking?
looking forward to reading replies on this.......bevann

Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
(male)

jackie_sean HB User
Re: have i really quit smoking?

Congratulations to you, I quit on 3/7 and I've still had no smoke since than, not a single cigarette. I know how damn hard it is but I don't think I quit smoking. I mean I don't feel like that about myself. I still want to smoke, craves are worst in the evenings and last night I was almost to give up. I don't really know how long can I keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevann26 View Post
i have'nt smoked since 3/9. my question is...i am using commit losenges when i get a crave....so, i'm still getting that nicotine. does nrt aids mean we still have the addiction, or does it mean we have quit smoking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

angel72 HB User

Bevann- I quit 4 months ago using the lozenges and stopped using the lozenges three weeks ago. Yes, you have quit smoking! Many people find success with an NRT, you just need to wean yourself off of it in a few months. I started using 5-6 lozenges per day until I got down to 1 or 2 then just stopped and was fine. I used then for a total of 14 weeks. If it helps you stop smoking, do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jackie.....you have done so well, don't let the cancer sticks pull you in again. i agree with you how hard it is to quit....i have smoked for 43 yrs.
are you using any nrt to help you? have you been a long time smoker also?
i find that talking to myself all the time saying, smoke die...smoke don't breathe etc. is really working, also the commit lozengesplease don't give up now, look at all the days you have gone w/out.....don't smoke, 1 day at a time.

angel...thankyou for your reply. the commit seem to be really helping me, also dum dum pops to use when i am in my usual light up situations...on phone, in car etc. i also find that the coffee stirrers are good to chew on to help me with the hand to mouth habit.
you did very well on the commit, so now i know they really work, and i have quit even though i use the nrt. was it hard for you to stop the commit because you actually still had nicotine in your system? good luck, you have done great!....bevann

Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
(female)

angel72 HB User

Bevann, I had some mild anxiety for a few days after stopping the commit, but nothing major. The key is to taper off of them before you stop completely. The last few weeks I did 4-5 per day, then 2-3 per day, then 1, then stop. I also kept really busy for those first few days after stopping them so I wasn't thinking about not having nicotine anymore. So it definitely can be done. What also helped me was having a list of things I was going to do instead of smoking and I changed a lot of my routines. I found that I did not crave cigs as badly as I thought I would. Hope this helps!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevann26 View Post
my question is...i am using commit losenges when i get a crave....so, i'm still getting that nicotine. does nrt aids mean we still have the addiction, or does it mean we have quit smoking?
Bevann your doing great hang in there. To answer your question "once an addict always an addict". You and I are and will always be nicotine addicts. The use of the NRT eases but also prolongs your withdrawl. If we remain non users at some point we will no longer suffer any withdrawl symptoms but always remember we are still addicts and any use of the drug will cause a relapse and a return to our former level of dependancy. Just look at the posts on this forum of people who have quit for years and for some reason decided they could just smoke a few. It only takes one to put you back to square one.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks so much for your replies. you are right, red, we are all addicts, sad but so true! i had an uncle that had quit for 22 yrs and said he still craved once in awhile!
my hubby has'nt quit yet, so that makes it harder also. he said he plans to sometime in april, i guess ill believe it when i see it!
i am disabled so i'm in pain alot, also can't excersise...i think it would be better if i could do more. by talking bad to myself about cigs all the time, i find now if hubby lights up, i look at him smoking and actually get nausea....good sign!
it is 2 wks for me today! i am still being strong, and we can help each other stick to this quit, also other people on here that have stories to tell..slow deep breaths, as we continue in our quest...we can do it! take care, bevann

Closed Thread