It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

FinallyQuit HB User
My Chantix Success Plan on the cheap

What a wonder drug! Since so many insurance companies will not pay for this yet, I am sharing what I did, it worked great! and I didn't have to stay on the drug for 3 months. Not just the money but the GAS too! Ha.

First week-followed the directions-except...I quit early because smoking made me nauseas. The nausea goes away after you quit smoking-really.
Second Week-Followed the directions for first half of week only. Gas was so bad I began cutting the 1mg pills in half with no effect on my interest in smoking. Big relief in gas! Really, No interest in smoking-just a habit thought now and then.
Third week-continued 1/2 of 1mg pill in am and 1/2 of 1 mg pill in pm
4th week-as above
5th week-as above
6th week-cut to 1/2 of 1 mg pill only in morning
7th week-same as above
8th week-cut to 1/2 of 1 mg pill every other day only until they were gone which took another couple of weeks about.

That was it and I am cured of smoking! Now I LOVE not stinking all the time. I kept the side effects down to a min and weaned myself off the Chantix -don't go cold turkey off chantix-try to wean off of it.

If you follow the plan I did, and I am NOT A DOCTOR-you will only have to buy the initial starter kit which cost me $120.

My doctor said it was fine as long as I didn't smoke. I weigh about 120 lbs. Here's hoping you quit too!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
(male)

moejoe39 HB User
Re: My Chantix Success Plan on the cheap

Trade one smell for another, LOL

This might be a good way for people that don't tolerate chantix well.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

imjensmom HB User

Finally quit, thanks for your post. I'm on week six of Chantix and 31 days of being a non smoker. I've had some side effects, nausea & gas being the worst so I've cut down to 1/2 a pill in the am and 1 pill at night and that seems to help. In the next few days I'm going to cut down to 1/2 a pill at night too. I'd like to cut it down to the minimum but still want to keep the cravings at bay. I'm a little nervous about it but your post is really encouraging!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

I am really curious about chantix.. I really want to quit, and have before, but I just gain a lot of weight, have you gained weight on chantix? By the way, how much does it cost? I don't have insurance.

Last edited by nailchick2000; 03-27-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

ginamarie11211 HB User
Thumbs up Re: My Chantix Success Plan on the cheap

Hey,
I started taking Chantix almost 4 weeks ago, and I must say that in terms of killing the urge to smoke, it really is AMAZING. I haven't had a cigarette in 20 days, and I'm not fiending at all. My insurance didn't cover it at all, the doctor gave me a rebate for ten bucks, and so the starter pack was $133, after that I am told the refill pack is the same cost.

The best thing about Chantix, I think, is that you get a year of online support with it, a web site where you check in and they send you little tidbits to keep you focused on the goal, and motivated to stick with it. So if you take it, definitely sign up for that, and set your quit date.

That being said, the initial weeks, I did not have any problems with the medication, I didn't feel particularly nauseous, and I had vivid dreams, but I rather enjoyed that side effect. However, the third week, I felt extremely nauseous, head pounding, and I felt CRAZY. It can make you manic, and I thought I would be fine as I don't have a history of anxiety, but it made me feel very sick. I don't know how much of this is nicotine withdrawal or the meds, but I don't take it regularly anymore. One pill every few days maybe, and I don't think I will buy the re-fill pack either, especially considering the cost.

I think Chantix is a great way to start off, like training wheels, but I don't think I could stay on it. I haven't gained weight either, which is surprising since I used smoking cigarettes often as a way to distract myself from snacking. The web site is helpful also in that respect as they offer suggestions on how to avoid putting on weight.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

sabaka123 HB User

I was really surprised when I read your post. It's exactly how I feel myself. Today is day 21 smoke free for me and 28 day on Chantix and I also stopped the full doze as I started feeling weird last week, like you said 'crazy'. I did not have any such problems before, actually I did not have any problems at all prior stopping smoking, I felt as I was loosing control over my body, had to miss my dancing classes this weekend and other things I enjoy. Actually it was so bad, I wanted to post yesterday but truly did not know what to write. It was very strange as I was expecting all withdraw / side effects getting better with time, not worse. How much of the pill are you having now? I was not even thinking of cutting it down as I think the full doze is still cheaper than cigarettes, no point of reducing cost if it really helps to quit. Even if I had to pay more I would still take the pill (or whatever needed to quit) if it works.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
(female)

FinallyQuit HB User

I have actually gained weight-maybe about 5 lbs. Oh well, it's worth it. Unless you eat even less than you did while you smoked it's inevitable, as your metabolism will slow down without the nicotine.

I am still doing great. Not smoking, not even thinking about cheating, I think the lower dose is a good idea for people whose insurance doesn't cover it. It's about $130 for a month at walmart. Cheaper than smoking a pack a day but still, if half a pill does the same as a whole pill. A large person may need the whole pill.

The worst issue with the Chantix was the gas-god awful stinky gas. Cutting back stopped it. I had no mood swings at all, everyone is different I guess. My doctor said if I had mood issues she wanted to see me. Too bad about the people who do have the mood swings, it's a shame. Maybe cutting it in half would help but defin. need to talk with the doctor. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

You know? I'm going to try what you suggested with the Chantix. I've had them here for awhile now, but quit taking them because of terrible headaches. Maybe if I cut the dose in half, they will work and I won't have the headaches! I'll give them another try.Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
(female)

sabaka123 HB User

I cut mines in halves and take one half 2 -3 times a day depending on cravings. Today is day 32 of quit for me and it feels much better. I also had headaches at the beginning (first 3 weeks), I think it was mostly because of nicotine withdrawal , I don't have them anymore

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
(female)

jccdon HB User

Does anyone have info regarding weight gain/loss on Chantix? My doctor reports his other patients lost 15 to 20 pounds.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
(female)

FinallyQuit HB User

Hi, Cannot imagine losing weight-I am now up to about 6 lbs gained. I have always been a real pig but it didn't seem to matter. Without the nicotime revving up my metabolism, I am now gaining. Bummer.

I have noticed lately though, that everything tastes really salty to me. maybe it's just the better tastebuds. Anyone else notice that? Off Chantix awhile now and still not smoking!

Closed Thread