It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
(male)

legend_stud HB User
shortness of breath after stopping

I quit several times but i know this is the one. about 4 weeks now. But within the last couple of weeks I am short of breath. When i smoked I could always feel my heartbeat hard and started getting short of breath when I got home from work. I have high blood pressure too.

But now after quitting it is a constant shortness of breath. Almost like the feeling when you are nervous and get short of breath? It looks like this happens to some people on what I have read, but they said they also are coughing. Everytime I have quit in the past, and this time too, I am not coughing up anything. Just slight burning in the chest, like my lungs are healing?, and now real short breaths like not full breaths. I have to yawn to get a full breath.

Anyone else experience this after quitting and it gets better?

Thanks to all!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to legend_stud For This Useful Post:
masonhorse (09-21-2012)
Old 03-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

sabaka123 HB User
Re: shortness of breath after stopping

When I tried to quit for the first time I used Nicoderm and that's what actually was happening to me, it was really strange as I was not coughing either and did not experience any shortness of breath before quitting. It all went away completely in a matter of month or so. Unfortunately, I resumed smoking after 18 months. Right now I'm on 11th day of my quit. I don't have any of that, but I'm using Chantix this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

I had occasional short of breaths while quitting. It has been about 6 1/2 months and I am just now going longer between the short of breath episodes. Mine is like when I would have panic attacks. They are getting better for me now, but were never constant, but would happen enough that I noticed.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

legend.....first off..you are doing great in your quit. as far as the breathing goes, you should probably go to your doc to at least get it checked out. i have quit several times, and never had a cough or shortness of breath...good luck..take care.......bevann

Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
(female)

joonflowers HB User

Legend, I gave up smoking last June and for a while (can't remember how long, maybe a couple of months) I felt short of breath. It wasn't a drastic feeling, just a sort of sensation in the background of being a bit short of breath.

Anyway, it went away and I had forgotten about it until I read your post just now. I expect yours will just go away without you even noticing it, but of course, you should mention it to your doctor and they can listen to your lungs, heart and take your blood pressure etc. and reassure you.

Giving up smoking is such a joyful experience. Best wishes

Closed Thread