It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
I feel like such a mess!

Hi all! It's been two weeks today without a cigarette and in one of my last posts I mentioned that I take two different meds--one for depresssion and a mood stabilizer. I was feeling jittery at last count, but now I'm feeling more depressed, gas pains galore and my hives have kicked up. I can't believe how many systems nicotine affects! If you didn't have these ailments before you started smoking, you've got them now! I know the nicotine is probably out of my system, but I wish I could convince my brain to start learning a new way to live without the butts. I stay busy but allow myself time to rest, and I go to church, a nicotine cessation group, and bible study. Has anyone taken actually a couple of YEARS to recover? I keep thinking that if you smoke for 30 odd years, this stuff isn't just going to go away in 6 months. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully quit and had all the withdrawal syndrome go away. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Old 03-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: I feel like such a mess!

Hi hopetofeelwell1, congrats on your quit, two weeks is awesome!!! You don't need that cig to get rid of the hives or feel calmer, that is just the nicodemon telling us that. It does and will get better. I quit almost 2 years ago and still have a craving or two a day, BUT these are just more like passing thoughts and they go away in seconds. I might be drying my hair or walking into the bedroom and get a craving and say "Where did that come from???"... I smoked for 30 years too, two packs a day and the habit is not going to go away in 6 months..... but I'm so happy I quit, my house, my car and I smell so much better, I don't cough, I don't have to hide from people because I smoke, etc.

Keep thinking of the rewards and positives and you can do it too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

texachick HB User

Almost 2 months for me now. I will still get an urge, but, not anything as strong as it was. You have to stop thinking about what your missing, because, what you missing isn't a friend, it's coughing, and the stink of the cigarettes, the stink of nicotine on your hands. DH quit over a year ago and hasn't had a craving in months, so, it won't take years, I promise.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

Same here. Been quit a tad over one year and rarely get a thought about the old nasties. The six month mark started to get real easy. Please hang in there. It is well worth it. It is just still day to day with you.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Sany, -Chick and Velveeta! Thank you so much for the pep talks. My anxiety and depression problems really complicate my quit attempt because right now I'm beside myself with worry. My son has OCD and once a year when it's time to change or tweek his meds, he begins having problems. I know in my heart of hearts that a cigarette will not solve these problems-- it's just my lack of coping skills and I always turned to good old cigarettes to help me feel better. I feel like I'm going through two losses--the butts and my son's state of mind. I do have a therapist and doctor that I see regularly and it's great when you can take an hour 3x a month and talk about things, but you go back home and the stress hits you again and again. I will keep praying and rereading your posts because they give me such hope. Thanks so much again--Hopeto--

Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
(female)

jeanusa HB User

Hi Hopetofeelwell, Your doing a great thing for yourself. Just remember that it takes time to walk into the woods and time to walk out..... I wish you nothing but the best with your quit.

Jean
I have been quit for 10 Months, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 20 hours, 12 minutes and 38 seconds (329 days). I have saved $2,094.49 by not smoking 6,596 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 21 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/30/2007 12:00 AM

Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
(female)

jeanusa HB User

Hey Velveeta, Good to see you. Have not been on the forum for a while, you are doing fantastic... CONGRATULATIONS ON OVER A YEAR. 37 days left for me. Feels great doesn't it?

JeanUSA

I have been quit for 10 Months, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 20 seconds (329 days). I have saved $2,094.51 by not smoking 6,596 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 21 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/30/2007 12:00 AM

Closed Thread