It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
(male)

jackie_sean HB User
is anything like quit smoking ?

I haven't smoked for the last three weeks, I am amazed and proud of this cold turkey smoking break. I call it a break because I crave so badly for a cigarette and I think it's just a matter of time untill I will start again. I hate to say it but I crave too much even though I am on some medication prescribed by my doctor: Zyban. I thought three weeks would be enough to ease my cravings but it just doesn't look so. Are we smokers for life ? I mean even we quit are we gonna crave forever ?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
(male)

Prtam HB User
Re: is anything like quit smoking ?

I quit cold turkey as well. I quit at the end of January and have only had 2 slip ups since then. I get cravings out of the blue (wrote a message about it) and they are quit strong, but they go away. Difference between this quit and the last quits is that this time I truly do feel like a non smoker. Even when I slipped up, it felt more of a choice than a screw up. I don't know if the cravings will go away; I think the key is to separate the cravings from the actual DESIRE to smoke. I get the cravings but really don't want to do it.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

jackie....it only takes 72 hrs for nicotine to get out of you system, the rest is habit. i have a sister who has quit for 5 yrs., and an uncle quit for 22 yrs...they still have the occasional crave. they start thinking something more pleasant and it goes away. i guess we need to choose not to smoke for our own health. we need to romance a cig. not marry it. i have been quit 3 wks tomorrow, using commit losenges. my craves are mostly in the morning with my coffee, then i take a commit.
best of luck to you and please don't let those cancer sticks run your life..bevann

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

This is my 2nd go around with quitting, the first time lasted 3 months and I caved, that was months ago, I have now fully committed myself to quitting and I have been quit for one whole week with the help of Chantix what a life saver. I dont even think about a cig, yes I do desire but I wont do it. I think of something else than the desire goes away as fast as it came.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi there I've been quit for dare I say almost 2 yrs cold turkey on June 12th. I still get cravings out of the blue when in a stressful situation (When are you not in a stressful situation right?). I think once you stop thinking of the cigs as a "Friend" , and it's something you WANT to do instead of HAVE to do you know you're done with them. But I do believe we'll always be recovering smokers. Three weeks is fabulous you should be proud of yourself and keep up the great work you too Bevann!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Hang in there!!!!I don't think the cravings ever completely go away but the worst is behind you at 3 weeks. As time passes the craves will be fewer and weaker. Once I got to about 4 months it seemed to be a lot easier for me. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread