It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

rabd HB User
Question Patch - either too much nicotine or not enough

I smoke a lighter cigarette (a pack a day) and usually only smoke half of it. When I use the 21mg patch, my heart races and I feel very nervous. On the 14mg, I have awful withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone else have this problem, and what mg did you use. Thanks for any responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Patch - either too much nicotine or not enough

Hi there as far as I know your not suppose to smoke when you have the patch on so that may explain the heart racing issue as you're getting more nicotine and can be dangerous. Perhaps you should try chantix as you can smoke while using that form of quitting aide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

imjensmom HB User

I think what you're saying is when you're not smoking and use the patches that ones too much and the other isn't enough, right? You may want to try the gum, may be easier to get the right dosage. If you really need to use the patch, my suggestion would be to use the 14mg and just try to hang on a few days until your body adjusts. Also, you might want to check with your Doctor, there are so many things they can prescribe to help you through the really tough parts. Hang in there. I'm smoke free for 39 days and it's not easy but so worth it.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

I have quit smoking now for 2 1/2 months with the help of the patch & gum. I don't know where you live but here in the UK my doctor prescribed me to use both the patch and 2mg gum when I was getting one of those bad cravings. But he advised not to use more than 8 pieces of gum a day.
I am at step 3 7mg patch now with approx 4 gum a day. I never thought I would ever get this far and more than likely wouldn't of without the aid of NRT.

My advice would be to talk to your pharmacist or doctor and maybe they would advise you to start off on the 14mg patch with a few pieces of the 2mg gum if the 21mg seems too strong.

Let us know how you get on.

Evonne

Closed Thread