It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

simonsez2 HB User
Hard Core Smoker Looking For Support, Any Takers?

Hi I'm pretty new at this message board stuff so please bare with me. I have not stopped smoking' but I know with all my heart that I need to. Right now I am smoking two pks a day with asthma and possibly copd. I think, no, I want to quit, but believe it or not, I am scared of the mental stress of it. Sounds crazy don't it? It's true though. Besides there is so much stress in my life right now it's unbelievable. What I do know is that if I don't stop, it will kill me. It killed my sister at the age of 61. I came here in hopes that I could get some kind of support so I can have that jump start. Right away I'm going to let you know that I can not afford any high priced meds so that's out of the question. Any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Hard Core Smoker Looking For Support, Any Takers?

When you are truly ready you will quit but to already say there is something you can't do because of money then you have already put a road block up. You already are paying a fortune on drugs/smokes...and I would guess you also drink? As long as you have an excuse to not do something then you are not ready. The things that you can try are numerous some cost a few dollars and some are free....but they all take the same thing....will power. There has already been so many stories told on this site that are inspiring...read them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hiya Simonsez I quit cold turkey and yes it was hard but not for too long. The stress will be there whether you smoke or not. At the time I quit I was going through a separation, my son was being evaluated for autism, I had to move in with my mom whom I've never gotten along with probably since the womb, I had to go on public assistance to survive and one day spent applying is bad enough to make you not only want to smoke but take up any other habit you hadn't tried yet.

I'm with Ann it sounds like you're not ready I feel that if you go into it feeling like to have to instead of want to than you won't succeed, it must be something you want to do more than any thing.

Perhaps this will make you want to quit my neighbor just had brain surgery yesterday to remove cancer and today they are operating on her lungs, she's a lovely woman in her late 50's who smoked 3 packs a day and she'll be starting her course of chemo and radiation as soon as she recovers from the surgery.Never even saw it coming she got a cold she couldn't shake and found out she had cancer. Incidentally tossing out a few prayers for her would be appreciated.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

Well this morning I took a half of a chantix. I'm going to try FINALLYQUITS suggestion. Thanks for the input. I'm sorry about your neighbor and I hope she recovers from all she's going though, my prayers are with her. This addiction, and that's what it is, is horrible. I hope and pray that I can kick this nasty habit. Hopefully I will get some support from the people on this message board. I'm looking forward to it actually.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

You definately will I wouldn't have been able to do it if I didn't know there were others I could chat with who undrstood EXACTLY what I was going through. I found if I didn't count the days hours minutes that I haven't smoked it helped on the flip side some think it helps to remind themselves. It's all up to you what helps you the best. I'll be quit for 2 yrs on june 12th and after about 6mths I had to stop and think how long it was but only because I wasn't thinking about it any more. Once you get through the first week you'll be ok than the first month and it's much easier.

Good luck I Know you can do it. and thanx for the prayers.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

Thanks again. I did try to quit last Nov and was doing pretty good. I didn't smoke for a week but my "hubby" who was supporting, or so I thought, decided he was going to drunk and start with me over stupid stuff. Long story short, he's an achoholic and I really get stressed so it will be a blessing to have someone to talk to when I get that urge for a smoke

Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

Hi Simonsez.
I don't think we are supposed to put other links or anything here. I too, am taking Chantix. It is cheaper a month (even out of pocket full price) than my one pack a day habit (17 yrs). When I quit, I prepared for a week. There is a group called Freedom From Smoking Online and there is also Why Quit. Read and read and read, strengthen your resolve and spend a few days saying goodbye to cigarettes. Go through the steps necessary to really say goodbye to the "friend" nicotine. Remember, this friend WILL kill you. I truly believe this quit is the most important thing I've ever done in my entire life. That said, ALSO check into some of the under-publicized side effects with Chantix. It can be VERY VERY serious. I don't think you should take it without a Dr's supervision and even that is not enough for some of the people suffering from side effects. I found many many stories on Wrong Diagnosis.
Stay strong!!!
Gidget

Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
(female)

imjensmom HB User

Hi Simon. You have come to the right place. I was scared spitless to quit, I'd done it once before 15 years ago and almost went bezerk, but I quit 45 days ago (taking Chantix) and make no mistake, it isn't easy but it is SO WORTH IT! I walk without stopping to catch my breath, sleep like a baby now that I don't wheeze and the nasty cough I had is gone in just 6 weeks time. Read everything you can so you know what to expect and what to do. There is a wealth of knowledge from the people on these message boards. When you need to vent, get on here and type your fingers to the bone. It will help, it will also keep you from smoking. There are so many people on here and everyone has experienced something alittle different with their "quits". So no matter what you're feeling, you'll usually run across someone who's felt the same way. It helps to know you're not alone and what you're experiencing may be "normal". Good luck and hang in there!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
(female)

Mary Annie HB User

Hi everyone,
First of all, hats off to Simonsez2!!! Go for it girlfriend - we'll all be here to lend a helping hand if you need it. I also took Chantix and quit 6 months ago and feel wonderful. I am the last person who ever thought I could quit after 40 years of smoking. So, if I can do it anyone can. Remember to drink ALOT of water. And, I also sucked on starburst mints to get me through and did deep breathing to get through the cravings.
I am and adult child of 5:00 alcoholic parents so I have some idea of what you may be going through. Just remember to look out for number ONE. Without you, who would you have????????

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

I want to say thank you to those who have repied to my message and to gidget73 I will look up what you said. You guys have already given me hope that I can actually do this with success. I may not have any fingertips left from typing so much, but I'll take that chance ha ha! Like I said earlier, I just started to take the chantix this morning so I know the first week is going to be my determination week. That wheezing and coughing at night really has to go. I don't get a rested sleep at all at night and tire out easily during the day. Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

Good for you Simonsez!!!
You can do it!!
Remember, this week on the Chantix, you are going to feel really strange even if you are smoking. Make SURE you eat and have a big glass of water when you take your dose. I started on a Friday also! I needed the weekend for adjustment to the medication, then, the following week, when I quit, I needed to really concentrate only on healing myself from addiction. I was also VERY VERY tired for approximately2.5 weeks on the medication. I lowered my dose by the middle of the third week on the prescription because it made me so so so bloated!
Good luck with the support/information groups I passed onto you. Keep posting when you need to work through your crave. We are all in the same boat.
Best,
Gidget

Last edited by Gidget73; 04-11-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: error

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
(female)

vic77 HB User

Hats off to you, good for you.

I quit the begining of November, and eventhough most of the urges are gone, I still get that once in a while urge that dosen't seem to leave me alone. I know you can do this, you have the courage and the strenght needed to say no to the urges that just seem overpowerning sometimes. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

best of luck to you

Vic

Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 AM   #13
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsez2 View Post
Hi I'm pretty new at this message board stuff so please bare with me. I have not stopped smoking' but I know with all my heart that I need to. Right now I am smoking two pks a day with asthma and possibly copd. I think, no, I want to quit, but believe it or not, I am scared of the mental stress of it. Sounds crazy don't it? It's true though. Besides there is so much stress in my life right now it's unbelievable. What I do know is that if I don't stop, it will kill me. It killed my sister at the age of 61. I came here in hopes that I could get some kind of support so I can have that jump start. Right away I'm going to let you know that I can not afford any high priced meds so that's out of the question. Any suggestions?
Simon, I understand. I never tried to quit smoking because I was afraid of suffering. Wanting a cigarette so bad that I would give in and smoke. When I heard of so many quitting with Chantix, I tried it and it was really easy to quit. The hard part was changing my habits and getting through the side effects of the Chantix. Your sister died way too young and I don't want that to happen to you. I moved my parents here from Fl a couple of years ago and my mom has copd and I have watched her suffer so much. She is on oxygen 24/7 and still gasps for breaths at times. Any little infection turns to double pneumonia. This is her second bout in a year. She is in reabilitation now trying to get strong enough to come home. It gets harder and harder to recover.
I quit at a bad time also. My dad is very ill and had to go into the hospital in Dec and at one time his body started to shut down. Then there was Christmas to get ready for and my mom was not well, dad had to go to a nursing home and there is no one here but me to take care of everything. But I have quit and am so glad. You can do it. Do it for yourself and your health!!
Good luck.

Closed Thread