It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

black121 HB User
1st Week on Chantix

Sorry to be repetative, I realize there's a lot of conversation about this already, but I'm new to the forum and new to the drug and I had some questions.

I'm 28, have been smoking on and off since I was 15, with a 4 year cold turkey break that ended when I moved to a small town in Alabama and (sadly) started again, but I don't want to be smoking when I'm 30 and so I've started the Chantix. I've tried everything else short of hypnosis and am hoping this is the "wonder drug" I keep hearing it is, though I'm suspicious.

In any event, this is my fifth day on the drug and since day one I've been feeling woozy, dizzy, had a sore throat and a cough and, most annoyingly, have been sleeping around 10 hours a night, with vivid dreams but sleeping solidly and I'm still exhausted when I get up. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I suspect it's a side effect of Chantix, in which case I'm wondering when it stops, but if not it could also be just a cold which I am overreacting to. I tend to do that...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User
Re: 1st Week on Chantix

Welcome black121

Chantix was a wonder drug for me although I had some bad side effects. It seems everyone is a little different in how they react to the Chantix, so I would recommend calling your doctor if something is not "right" feeling or if you just want reassurance. I did not get woozy or have a sore throat, though I have read others who have. I had maybe 2 or 3 dizzy spells that lasted maybe 2 minutes. I did have a cough for a long time. Coughing up stuff from my lungs that has accumulated for years.
I overslept for the first time in about 25 years when I started taking the Chantix. But yet, I had more energy than I had in years.
I called my dr. twice when taking the Chantix. Once for severe acid reflux and another time because my blood pressure and heart rate was up a little. I called the dr once after stopping the Chantix. That was when I started having crying spells 2 or 3 times a day for a few weeks. The physical side effects were mostly while taking the Chantix, but the emotional/mental side effects happened after I finished the Chantix. Again, everyone is a little different, so keep an eye on yourself, have others keep an eye on you and call your doctor when in doubt.
I have been smoke free for 7 months now. It was my first time trying to quit, so Chantix was a wonder drug for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread