It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
(female)

wgbren HB User
Question Chantix - how long before side effects subside after quitting the med?

Our doctor said to stop the Chantix because the side effects were getting too bad. (Insomnia, rage) There weren't many side effects at first and was able to quit smoking 35 days ago. Side effects got worse over time.

Last dose of Chantix was 48 hours ago. Any idea how long it will be before the insomnia goes away?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
(female)

Gidget73 HB User
Re: Chantix - how long before side effects subside after quitting the med?

I weaned off pretty quickly by the 3rd week I was only taking .5 mg/day because of the bloating. The half life of Chantix is 24 hrs...so supposedly it gets out of your system somewhat quickly.
Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Gidget73 For This Useful Post:
Joenewbie (10-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
(female)

karbear1 HB User

It has been going on 2 wks since I was off the Chantix and I am back at having trouble falling asleep. First I could not sleep on it , then I could . Now I am back to where I started. It has been 3 mos since I have smoked ., I was actually thinking of going back on the Chantix.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
(male)

allen1466 HB User

I quit smoking 08/21/07. I had taken Chantix 30 -33 days before the quit date. I kept taking the med for another 3 weeks. My problem was I couldn't sleep enough. I would sleep for 10 hours a night and wake up and want to go back to bed. Chantix is a good/bad drug! It's good that it will help you quit smoking. But very addicting! I'm so glad I was only on it for 7 weeks.

I didn't feel better until new year. It was everything, new eating habits, keeping my mind off that I quit smoking, changing my life as a whole.

I feel so much better about myself. My body has changed in everyway. I feel so much better. When you quite smoking, your body will change. I lost weight before I quite, then gained weight after I quit, then learned how to eat food all over.

Taste and Smell are new things to me. I didn't know how things smell and food taste. They will be new to you also.

Don't look back! Just forget about that you smoked and learn how to live with out them.

GOOD LUCK!

The Following User Says Thank You to allen1466 For This Useful Post:
Joenewbie (10-19-2012)
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
(female)

bwhites HB User
Unhappy Re: Chantix - how long before side effects subside after quitting the med?

It sounds like allen1466 didn't have any really severe side effects.

I am dealing with a loved one who took Chantix once last year for a month (no real side effects but he started smoking again), then again for 3 months starting around January. He developed a raging flu-like illness that I never caught and I believe was a side effect.

Then out of the blue he started displaying symptoms of depression. We were engaged and planning a wedding when he moved out a week ago, no real explanation and so out of character. I don't believe this is a case of cold feet and have another friend at work who is having a similar problem w/her beau.

Can anyone out there give me any thoughts about how long their symptoms lasted after the depression side effects?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
(male)

allen1466 HB User

I really didn't have the side affects that everyone was having. I had so many things going on at one time. I was trying to remodel the house, dealing with my girlfriend and her issues and our issues, trying to quit smoking and the over-caring parents.

I do remember having some rage emotions. After all said and done, the rage emotions are gone. The biggest thing that I had was the bloated feeling all the time and the gas. If you could "pipe me up", I could heat the house all winter. I'm glad that is gone.

I guess my sleeping was depression, in a way. That is all I wanted to do. I really didn't feel better until the new year. It takes time to get over the Chantix and that you quit smoking. I would say it was 4-5 months before I felt back to my old self.

But from my experience, take the first months meds as prescribed. Then quit smoking. Then take the first months med for the second month, but take them in reverse. So after that second month, you have taken yourself off the meds and the cigs. Don't take Chantix any longer than 2 months.

Remember, the medicine is there to help. But you have to want to quit. I wanted to quit for my girlfriend. If she wasn't in my life, I would still be smoking. I enjoyed smoking. But I enjoy my girlfriend more!

Good luck to all that that quit!

YOU WILL FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF! I DO!!

YOU WON'T SMELL LIKE AN ASHTRAY!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
(female)

bwhites HB User

Thanks, I was afraid that the 4 months time frame was about right. I don't smoke but my (now former) fiance did. He moved out saying he just didn't know what was going on or why he was feeling like he did, just felt like he wanted to run away from everything. He acts like he has no emotions, including no love at this time.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
(female)

Pepper08 HB User

Congrats to those of you that have stopped smoking. The first few weeks it is important to drink lots of water to help flush out the nicotine. Keep telling yourself that you are a non-smoker now. Positive thinking can go a long way in the healing process. A mild nerve pill like Xanax might be needed to take the raw edge off of negative feels you will have from time to time while quitting.
Good luck...you can do it. It take will power and a positive attitude. Know your smoking triggers and stay away from them. Replace them with new things. Good luck.

Pepper

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
(male)

onceinanevermin HB User
Thumbs down Re: Chantix - how long before side effects subside after quitting the med?

I started taking this drug reluctantly in mid February almost to immediate side effects. The first week on the full dosage, my dreams became hallucinations and my sleep habits were off more and more. After going through 3-days of absolute frightening weirdness during sleep and lucid states, I finally decided to stop taking it altogether the night I realized that I was standing in my living room in the middle of the night in my night clothes with a hand and mouth full of jellybeans. I woke up that morning with a mouth full of chewed but not swallowed jellybeans and the rest left in my hand had been gripped to tightly that the colors were coming off in my palm. I have never walked in my sleep in my life, and I feared that could have resulted in a far worse situation for me (i.e.: walking outside, choking)

I immediately stopped taking it, and now almost 4-months later, I feel depressed. I am worried about myself after this, and I worry for anyone who takes this medication. These drugs are hitting the market too soon and with too little research prior. If you dig deep enough, you will find that in 2007 alone there were 67 deaths around the world directly related to this drug. I am happy to hear that so many have not felt any adverse effects, but I still would not recommend this if my life depended on it.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
(female)

scooter75 HB User

OK, so I'm new, and if I don't post right, sorry in advance...

I took the Chantix for three weeks before I forgot to take it for a full day, which went well, then another, which went well, then I just decided, "why bother?", so I stopped completely. I probably should have slowly decreased my dosage, but I didn't.

Anyhow, I have been completely off the Chantix for about two weeks now and have found myself to be a completely different person than "normal"....fighting with my husband to the point of threatening to leave, being generally angry, not caring about the things that I normally care about, and I seem to have a terrible tolerance level of other people! I get so frustrated with people! Has anyone else dealt with anger to the point of almost striking someone? This is so "not me" that it scares me!

As others have spoken about, I also experienced vivid dreams; however mine were either strange or absolutely disturbing. I awoke to myself crying hysterically after having the disturbing dream (like, victim of a violent crime dream), then I couldn't figure out if it was something that I dreamed, or if it something that has happened that I have blocked out of my mind! Has anyone else had a similar (negative) situation with the dreaming, and if so, when did it go away? Help!

I am three and a half weeks smoke-free, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it if this situation is going to make me looney!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
(female)

MRRCHANTIX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter75 View Post
OK, so I'm new, and if I don't post right, sorry in advance...

I took the Chantix for three weeks before I forgot to take it for a full day, which went well, then another, which went well, then I just decided, "why bother?", so I stopped completely. I probably should have slowly decreased my dosage, but I didn't.

Anyhow, I have been completely off the Chantix for about two weeks now and have found myself to be a completely different person than "normal"....fighting with my husband to the point of threatening to leave, being generally angry, not caring about the things that I normally care about, and I seem to have a terrible tolerance level of other people! I get so frustrated with people! Has anyone else dealt with anger to the point of almost striking someone? This is so "not me" that it scares me!

As others have spoken about, I also experienced vivid dreams; however mine were either strange or absolutely disturbing. I awoke to myself crying hysterically after having the disturbing dream (like, victim of a violent crime dream), then I couldn't figure out if it was something that I dreamed, or if it something that has happened that I have blocked out of my mind! Has anyone else had a similar (negative) situation with the dreaming, and if so, when did it go away? Help!

I am three and a half weeks smoke-free, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it if this situation is going to make me looney!
I'm so glad you wrote this. I am into my second day of the "blue" pills, so basically week two. I wanted to quit yesterday but felt that I just wasn't ready yet. My cigarettes taste horrible, and I find myself not wanting to smoke as often.

I do however, have the feeling of rage as well. Like today, my co-worker is blaring country music, and I just want to stand up and say YEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWW B&^%$#@, then throw all the monitors off the desks and sit back down like nothing happened. LOL. I am NEVERRRRRRRR like this. I also feel like I'm on speed, but am thinking that the mixture of Chantix and 24oz of coffee isn't a good thing. Seriously this "music" thing has aggrivated me to the point that I'm shaking.

I also have vivid dreams, have dreamed every night while taking chantix, but they are not horrible dreams. I just happen to remember them when I wake up, that's all.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
(female)

akazie HB User

You have to remember that depression, irritability etc are all side affects of giving up smoking so the Champix might not be the cause for this. I am using Champix to give up but the only side affects I have had so far was feeling sick when I smoking and wanting to sleep alot, I also feel very energetic and extremely happy (like I am high haha), I really like the Champix me . I should probably also mention that I take Luvox (SSRI).

ETA: I also have been suffering from bad flatulence.

Last edited by akazie; 06-06-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
(female)

scooter75 HB User

Mrrchantix, I hope that you made it through the day without going "off"! I did, thank goodness. It actually makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in this anger issue! It seems like I do have the aggravation, but it also seems like I have the extreme anger/rage, and that usually develops over very little things, like my husband not remembering a conversation that we had. It also seems like I cannot eat enough. I'm not a large person (5-10, 150# normally), but I will finish a foot long sub and still be hungry (I never even ordered a foot long sub before now)! I have gained about ten pounds in the last two weeks, and I know that it will only get worse if I don't figure out how to feel somewhat "comfortable".

I have not experienced the "on speed" feeling. Due to the sleeping difficulties, I was always wiped out! Normal nights entailed about four hours of sleep, so I was always exhausted!

And I know that irritability is part of the withdrawal of nicotine, but it doesn't seem like it should be this severe! Over stuff that doesn't really have any real impact on life, stuff that I should be able to brush off with an, "oh well".

I think the weight gain, the rage and the weird dream are my primary concerns, I just thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced the same things!

Hang in there, guys, and remember, at some point (I hope soon!), we'll all be able to tell ourselves that this was worthwhile!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
(female)

scooter75 HB User

After dealing with all of the side effects (specifically the rage issue), I ended up going to see my doc, who said that when you smoke, the portion of your brain that nicotine addresses produces dopamine, and that dopamine actually makes your body "happy", making your body want more. She told me that I was dealing with a "withdrawal" of dopamine, and she ended up putting me on an antidepressant to address this issue. Supposedly it will only take a couple of days before I feel a difference, if I feel a difference with this medication, so I'l let you know!

And I'm at five weeks yesterday....I'm so glad, and can't believe that it's been that long. My doc said that she didn't want me to turn around and go back to smoking, so she put me on the med(she didn't want to put me on meds before).

Old 06-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

Scooter, has your doctor begun to wean you off the Chantix yet?
I was only on it for 5 weeks including the building up (pre-quit) and the wean down, which was 2 weeks for me.

Closed Thread