It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User
Unhappy Depression and quitting

Okay, I quit for over a year about 6 years ago and after 1 year I started back. So, 19 days ago I tried to give it another shot and quit cold turkey. I have suffered from anxiety and depression all my life and since I have quit smoking I have been VERY tired, moody, crying, anxious, restless, short tempered and worst of all I have locked myself inside my 1 bdrm apt. all the time. I am trying to push myself to go back out into the world, see friends, go to the movies, take a walk--but the motivation is not there. I feel as though quitting smoking has made me a miserable hermit. I am not drinking, I am not smoking and the "fun" me all my friends are missing but something is wrong with me. If I am doing something good for myself and my life then why do I have no desire to do anything. Nothing makes me happy and I am just sleeping alot. Is this depression normal when quitting and if so how long does it last? I lost my job a month ago (main reason I quit smoking cause of $$) so I don't have insurance to see a Dr. Has anyone felt this bad after they quit? Am I going crazy? Do I need to just go by a pack to feel "normal" again? Everyone around me keeps asking me whats wrong and why I have closed myself off. I want to be happy, but for some reason I think I am only happy when smoking--this non smoking me sucks and is not much fun. Help!!!:

Old 05-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User
Re: Depression and quitting

i was the same way when i quit so i started smoking again buts if i were you i would stick with the quit as i was of for 9 weeks i was also depressed when i started again as i didnt realy want to smoke at all now i have to go through it all again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I'm no expert and haven't quit myself, yet. But I would think from a chemical standpoint that the lack of nicotine may have something to do with this. Nicotine is a stimulant. And it makes sense that the body would react this way when this stimulant is removed. You didn't mention if you have taken any medication for the anxiety and depression, but if you do, you may need a bump up, at least while your body is readjusting. Or maybe some nicotine replacement.

Just a thought....

Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Well today was day 20 and I smoked.....I can't handle the depression from quitting any longer. It was the best smoke I ever had. I miss it and I guess its as I can't live with it but I can't live without it. Damn.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Giraffe! PLEASE don't be so hard on yourself!!! I, too, suffer from depression and it was the hardest thing in the world for me to do to stop smoking. I stopped for 5 1/2 months last year and right now it's over 9 weeks(March 8th 'til now). I've been taking Effexor xr 75 mg and although I'm not crazy about the med, it's taking a little of the edge off. Sure--it's hard--but just do the basics: Make sure to eat and sleep well. Make sure you rest--very important. Be very good to yourself--you're worth it. Ask God or your higher power to take the craving from you, even if it's only for a minute at a time instead of a whole day. You don't need to get everything done all in one day! Depression is a stinker. Keep in touch with whatever medical professional you see for therapy or meds. Keep coming to the board and maybe drop by the depression board. There are a lot of people who care about you. Please keep in touch! God bless and take care--Hopeto--

Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

Maryb43 HB User

You can see what a hold tobacco has. I know it's terrible. It's good that you're talking about. I quit 13 years ago. I still miss it sometimes. In the beginning it is very rough but you're doing it! I think your matabolism slows down down when you give up the cigarettes so you feel draggy. I would stay away from foods and activites that you must have a cigarette with. For me I could not have coffee becasue I always had a cigarette with coffee. When I became more comfortable I resumed coffee. Same thing with alcoholic beverages...couldn't have thoses either. It's very difficult but you'll be ok. I can even remember dreaming of smoking multiple ciagrettes at the same time when I was going through withdrawal. It will pass...hang in there! and if you started back...stop again! Try to fill your time with things you enjoy or go to places that smoking is not allowed...and feel good about it!
Set yourself a goal. When you get back on your feet take the money you'd spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something nice or take a trip.
Good Luck
mary

Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Thanks for the support guys. I am trying, really trying but I think I was being too hard on myself so now that I slipped one cig and did not go buy a pack or anything I have told myself that if I absolutely can't handle it anymore than I'll start back, it seems that when giving myself a choice rather than depriving myself from it is easier and guess what?!?! Its day 21 and I have smoked 1 cig in these past 3 weeks. Thats still awesome. Man, cigs are evil...we'll see how this goes. Can't promise anything, but at least I can be aware of it mentally and make the choice. If I don't feel any better soon I may go back to smoking and just knowing that takes off the edge and I think this train of thought will actually help me stay quit..If I fail, I fail, but I would rather not so I'm pushing on.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

ElatedG if you've made it with just one smoke in 21 days you're more than half way there. The first week is hell, the first month is REALLY tough, the first three you're foggy and disconnected but after that the fog lifts and it just gets better and better. Next month will 2 yrs for me, I can't believe it considering I was practically a 2 fisted smoker for 25 years. The depression is all part of the quitting when you think about it we've been abusing our bodies for x amount of years you can't expect to feel better the first day or two just be patient and instead of thinking about what your missing think about all the things your gaining. Every day I see people who can't get the smoke in their mouth quick enough after being on the bus or train and I'm grateful to not be one of them anymore.

You CAN do this just don't give up it so worth it!!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Have you tried nicotine replacement? The patch or gum. I know it isn't cheap but it is cheaper than cigarettes and takes the edge off. Good luck and Godbless.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
The first week is hell, the first month is REALLY tough, the first three you're foggy and disconnected but after that the fog lifts and it just gets better and better.
Whats up with the disconnected feeling? Thats the best way to describe it..the depression, the disconnect, the lonliness..ugh.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

My best guess is that your brain is adjusting to life without the nicotine and the few other thousands of toxins in the cigs. My mood swings were off the charts. I would cry if I couldn't start a roll of toilet paper, Scream at my poor baby boy. If you go through the threads here you'll see that chantix has side effects, and most people have to withdraw all over again from nicotine replacement aides so I think it's best to tough it out C/T . (Just my opinion everyone don't jump all over me) This quit of mine is the hardest one so I'm pretty proud of me I earned this one the hard way.I just woke every morning I said to myself let's see how far I can get today and that was 23 months ago after a month I stopped counting because it helped to get past it all.With the nice weather just go for walks, spring clean, ride your bike, eat healthy, etc. You'll see it'll be alright.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Thanks for all the advice. I REALLY tried...but I can't do it anymore. I feel much better smoking again--maybe I can gain strength to quit again oneday. Thanks anyways and good luck to all of you!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Elated G don't feel bad on average people try to quit at leat three times before being successful so just think of this one as your interval before you quit. It's best to go into it with no pressure, no expectations, no thoughts of have to do it instead of wanting and desire to, and most of all no self flagulation. Quitting smoking is ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS TO DO!!!!! You are detoxing from a drug and just like any other drug the withdrawals are a *****. You'll get there no worries

Last edited by Liamsmom; 05-18-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Closed Thread