It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

anita41 HB User
Unhappy Whys It So Hard

i have tried to stop 5 times and failed every time longest i went was 6 months patches did work for a while but then dropped to the 14s plus my fella still smoked and it was tempting need a miricle cure any advice please

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User
Re: Whys It So Hard

man, I don't know. I just quit for 3 1/2 weeks and just started back. I could not deal with the depression and disconnectness and it was only getting worse. Longest I have quit was a little over a year. SMOKES are evil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

anita41 HB User

i know exactly where your coming from its very hard to stop nothing to do with your hands or a nice cig after dinner its so easy to start but so dam hard to stop i was a fool started smoking at 34 been smoking now 7 years i bought this mouth wash to try but was rubbish the gum tasted foul and yes the patches did work till i dropped down to the 14s sometimes when the sun is shining laid outside with a glass of wine and a cig is so relaxing we got to have will power girl can do this together

Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
(female)

unci888 HB User
Talking Re: Whys It So Hard

I have not had a cigarette since January 4, 2008. I made a decision to stop and then began educating myself about the effects of cigarette smoking. I have come to realize that smoking covers up a lot of issues, well for me anyway my smoking covered up still I didnt know I had to deal with. After I quit a lot of health issues began surfacing and I have been dealing with them as they come up. Issues with a major surgery in February and major breathing problems that only seemed to get worse instead of better. I know now that my smoking was not a way to deal with stress. I still have stress and I have tried to find ways to deal with it. Today is the 135 day I have not had a cigarette. I have one of those counter thingys that shows how many days, now many months, how much money saved and how many cigarettes not smoked (2018 for me). This past week has been one of the hardest I have had in terms of cravings. My "quit" has been so weird. Some days, like in the beginning, I really wanted to smoke. Then it like let up and some days I wouldnt even think about it. Even NOW, almost 5 months later, I still have days where I think I HAVE to smoke a cigarette and then there are days where I dont even think about smoking. Even though I really, really, REALLY want to smoke one RIGHT NOW, I stop and think about 2018 cigarettes....that represents TEN CARTONS OF CIGARETTES that I have NOT SMOKED. TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHTEEN CIGARETTES that I had the willpower to NOT SMOKE. I remember how I used to cough and not be able to breathe and lived my life around the next smoke. These thoughts help to keep me a non-smoker but I guess I am resigned to cravings like this for the rest of my life. I have seen two people I know who died in the last year from lung disease and it was from smoking. I dont wanna die some horrible, self-inflicted death and that is what would happen if I lit one up right now. I guess I came here to get inspiration and I just had to post when I read this message. My grandparents both quit when they were in their forties (like me) and they never seemed to want to smoke again. So, I figure if they can do it then I can do it. I smoked for 38 years and I know that there is NO SUCH THING as just one cigarette for me because I THOUGHT I liked to smoke. I am like some posters on here, I thought I liked to smoke but when I was actually smoking I would think that I had to quit soon. AND I DID. I just want to not smoke again because if I do light one up right now I know I will smoke those TWO THOUSAND EIGHTEEN cigarettes and will wind up smoking even more than that. Hang in there everyone. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

anita41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unci888 View Post
I have not had a cigarette since January 4, 2008. I made a decision to stop and then began educating myself about the effects of cigarette smoking. I have come to realize that smoking covers up a lot of issues, well for me anyway my smoking covered up still I didnt know I had to deal with. After I quit a lot of health issues began surfacing and I have been dealing with them as they come up. Issues with a major surgery in February and major breathing problems that only seemed to get worse instead of better. I know now that my smoking was not a way to deal with stress. I still have stress and I have tried to find ways to deal with it. Today is the 135 day I have not had a cigarette. I have one of those counter thingys that shows how many days, now many months, how much money saved and how many cigarettes not smoked (2018 for me). This past week has been one of the hardest I have had in terms of cravings. My "quit" has been so weird. Some days, like in the beginning, I really wanted to smoke. Then it like let up and some days I wouldnt even think about it. Even NOW, almost 5 months later, I still have days where I think I HAVE to smoke a cigarette and then there are days where I dont even think about smoking. Even though I really, really, REALLY want to smoke one RIGHT NOW, I stop and think about 2018 cigarettes....that represents TEN CARTONS OF CIGARETTES that I have NOT SMOKED. TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHTEEN CIGARETTES that I had the willpower to NOT SMOKE. I remember how I used to cough and not be able to breathe and lived my life around the next smoke. These thoughts help to keep me a non-smoker but I guess I am resigned to cravings like this for the rest of my life. I have seen two people I know who died in the last year from lung disease and it was from smoking. I dont wanna die some horrible, self-inflicted death and that is what would happen if I lit one up right now. I guess I came here to get inspiration and I just had to post when I read this message. My grandparents both quit when they were in their forties (like me) and they never seemed to want to smoke again. So, I figure if they can do it then I can do it. I smoked for 38 years and I know that there is NO SUCH THING as just one cigarette for me because I THOUGHT I liked to smoke. I am like some posters on here, I thought I liked to smoke but when I was actually smoking I would think that I had to quit soon. AND I DID. I just want to not smoke again because if I do light one up right now I know I will smoke those TWO THOUSAND EIGHTEEN cigarettes and will wind up smoking even more than that. Hang in there everyone. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
thank you that was so helpful reading that i am going to try really hard starting in the morning bless you

Old 05-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

unci888 HB User
Talking Re: Whys It So Hard

anita41 I wish you lots of strength. I didnt quit cold turkey, I used the nicotine patch for four weeks. Then I had surgery and was in the hospital and didnt use the patch so I just stopped. I still have some though and I am thinking of using them again if my cravings get to be too much. I would rather put on a patch than light up a cigarette. Also, I have a pack of "sick-a-rettes" hidden in my freezer for just in case. I figure this way that I am not depriving myself and that I can smoke one whenever I want too. BUT, just because I WANT to smoke a cigarette doesnt mean I am going to actually do it. I used to go to a different blog but everyone disappeared and I think they all started smoking again. So I found this forum and I will be coming here for encouragement and inspiration. That is the biggest help for me is being able to get online and come to places like this and talk to other smokers and nonsmokers. I have read lots of posts and most people who stop go through the same thing. I thought I was the only one having anxiety attacks but I am NOT! Thats why I said you are NOT alone. I have faith in all smokers that together we can begin NEW LIVES as nonsmokers and remain smokefree for the rest of our lives.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I smoked for over 34 years and have tried to stop several times. Now I have been smoke free for almost 2 years. Would have been over 2 years but I had anxiety and gave into the cravings about 4 months after I stopped. I smoked for 2 months and then stopped again. Here is what helped me. I used the patch and hypnosis. I stayed on the patch as long as I needed too. After almost a year of not smoking and 4 months off the patch I got such cravings that it took all my will power to not smoke. I went back on the patch for 2 months. Have been off it for almost a year now.

I stopped drinking coffee and started drinking spearmint tea. Also played video games in the morning for an hour or so. Used sugar free hard candy that I just stopped a month ago. It is a struggle but it is a bit easier if you are truly ready. I do think the hypnosis helped. Even though I had a cigarette right after I left the session. Hope you all reach your goal and remember that this is a process. Godbless

Old 05-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

imjensmom HB User

There is no such thing as a "nice" cigarette, after dinner or any other time. Those nice cigarettes are killers. They killed my dad and they would like to kill me too if I let them. Sounds harsh I know, but I had to change my mindset to quit and stay quit. I'm going on 3 months tomorrow and it is the best thing I've done for myself. Easy? No. Worth it? Absolutely. The closet I've come to a miracle is Chantix but that's ust me and it's not for everyone. Try whatever you have to to quit and stay quit. You can do this, WE ALL CAN DO THIS!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

rdt HB User

why is it so hard..because your nicotine receptors in your brain have been activated and you are addicted to nicotine...
smoking (inhaling) is the fastest way for drugs to reach the brain (yes, even faster than IV)..and thus the high or rush of nicotine activating your receptors to release chemicals that make you feel good..so you keep smoking to feed the receptors and release chemicals which make you feel good..

but the truth is, inhaling the smoke is killing you. it isn't the nicotine but all the other carcinogens in the cigs that are killing you..
well i smoked 35 years..2.5 packs a day..and every night I said that is it, no more and every morning i reached for one as soon as I woke up..after years of worrying about lung cancer and COPD, I went to the Mayo Clinic for a 7 day course in the hospital. it was tough, and i was scared, i couldn't stop, but i found that with the help of 3 patches (YES 3 21 mg patches) and nicotine gum, I was able to stop smoking. Jan 11, 2008...I stopped. I am now weaned off the patches but still chew the gum..but the gum won't kill you, the smoking will.. so with time I will wean from the gum.. there are times i want a cigarette, but I know that just one, and I will be back smoking 2 packs a day.. take one day at a time, don't be afriad to use gum and the patch, and take a deep breath whenever you want one. the urge passes in a few minutes...

I don't think of myself as an ex-smoker..I think of myself as a nicotine addict, who has chosen not to smoke today.. one day at a time..

call the mayo. they have classes about 7 times a year or more and they are willing to help people pay for the class if you can't afford it..

good luck and my thoughts are with everyone who is trying to break the addiction..

Last edited by rdt; 05-26-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Closed Thread