It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

bubblegum3p HB User
Exclamation any tips for quitting when NOTHING works!

i've tried everything and still want a cigarette!!! i have switched from newport to marlboro menthol light thats about it....i smoke a pack a day...i've tried tellin myself only 1 cig. every other hour, etc....nothing works...cant use the patch or gum cuz it makes my heart race....i will not take any pills, any tips yall have tried to quit smoking that worked????? please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: any tips for quitting when NOTHING works!

Hi bubblegum! You have to want to really quit smoking, that does make it easier. I quit 2 years ago and still get an odd craving or two, but they are gone in a split second. I also think about how better I feel now.... no emphysema scares like Amy Winehouse, no early heart disease like George Carlin (I'm not saying that I'll never get copd, cancer or heart disease). It is just so liberating being able to take a cross country flight w/o cravings or sit through an entire movie w/o sneaking out for a cigarette.

When you are ready to quit you will! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

How about hynosis or acupuncture? Hope one of these helps you. Godbless

Old 06-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
(male)

lneely HB User

This may be a personal thing, and believe me, I don't claim to generalize this to everyone. Some may find my mindset controversial, but maybe it will help a few people. Take it for what it is, which is simply an idea conceived by a fellow smoker (one which is a little "kooky" I admit), and if you don't like it, disagree and move along. Kooky ideas work for me sometimes when even the most accepted treatments (nicotine patches, gums, pills, etc) won't, but I admit I've just conceived this idea recently in the last month or so, and am becoming somewhat of my own guinea pig to it.

Through observation of smokers in the process of quitting (including myself), I've come to the belief, wrong or right, is that a lot of what makes quitting hard is the opinion of smoking that people (especially nonsmokers) tout loudly, the denial that smoking is a personal choice, and impatience with the quitting process. "This is a disgusting habit, I hate myself for doing this, it's something I should be ashamed of. I need to quit RIGHT NOW...but I can't...it's so addictive..." This attitude is, of course, perpetuated by our self-righteous and judgmental society. Smokers are labeled as "stupid," placed in the same category as drug addicts, sometimes even labeled as "evil sinners." Often, because of the harsh judgments, smokers are often confined to their own spaces (which are becoming fewer and fewer thanks to smoking bans) and, in order to avoid scrutiny, often are compelled to place the blame elsewhere: addictiveness, ad campaigns, "big tobacco," what have you. This blame deferral is definitely supported by the nonsmoker crowd, who then say, "Oh, it's okay, you're just a gullible victim of money-hungry tobacco executives," which of course leads to anti-smoking campaigns, harsher laws on public smoking, cruel pseudo-scientific studies on the effects of smoking, etc. It becomes a vicious cycle of self-resentment and hopelessness, which leads to stress, which leads to craving, which leads back to self-resentment and hopelessness.

This is my mental process, and it takes an extreme amount of will power and discipline (and may not work for everyone), but I've found that it works for me, and I hope that it will work for others as well.

Acceptance, responsibility, self-empowerment. Despite what others say, I reject the idea that I am somehow no longer in control. First and foremost, I accept that I enjoy smoking. I don't just do it because I'm some sort of nicotine-junkie. I'm perfectly aware the health risks, but because I enjoy it and I choose to do so. I will not "give it to god," because god is powerless if I choose to defy him. I alone will determine whether or not I quit.

Preparation. Due to the addictive nature of nicotine and the oral fixation of having a cigarette, it will not be easy, and this I am also aware of. I will need to prepare myself mentally, and until I am prepared, I should not begin the process of quitting. I will need to build a positive support base (I'm observing that HealthBoards is a wonderful start for this). I will prepare my family and those who have to deal with me on a daily basis and ask for their patience, as withdrawal symptoms may cause me to be irritable.

Patience. When those close to me and I are prepared mentally, physically, and emotionally, I will wean myself off of cigarettes gradually. I note that, as with any other highly addictive drug such as a strong pain killer, nobody quits cold turkey. Doctors prescribe a gradual process of taking the person off of the drug. I will do the same, and I will abide by my limits religiously. I will find alternatives to the oral fixation, and I will be patient with myself, because this will not be an easy process and I may fail at times, but this is no reason to keep going. I will use positive reinforcement every day, even long after that first day I've gone without a single smoke.

Resisting relapse. I haven't reached this point yet. Like I said, I'm my own guinea pig, blah blah. This will be the most difficult to write, but if people like this idea so far, maybe I'll try to expand upon it...

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Last edited by lneely; 06-30-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I took a class put on by the American lung association. twice. and then i started again and quit on my own, using their methods. I am over 30 days smoke free. I had to ride out the cravings like riding a wave. I would tell myself, the craving will pass whether i smoke or not. And i made a list of all the reasons i wanted to quit. they way outweighed reasons to keep smoking. I carried a half of a straw and breathed through it like a cigarette.

If you tell yourself that nothing works, nothing will work. You CAN quit smoking. You just have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. and ride out the cravings. after about 3 days it gets better and it keeps getting easier. The only time i crave one is when someone lights up outside. It smells good. But i don't ever want to have to quit again, so i don't start again.

I also wrote down every hour on a sheet of paper. When i made it through that hour, i would put a check mark by that time. I quit at night so when i got up, i was able to mark off 8 hours right away. It worked for me. Give it a try.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i had smoked for 42 yrs. my longest quits were twice i quit for 4 mos.
i tried everything available to quit..even hypnosis. i was even dx with copd and still smoked.
finally jan. of 2008..i went on commit losenges and more or less hypnotised myself. if i even see a cig. when someone else is smoking..or crave one myself...i get immediately nauseas.
this works for me, and i am still on commit down to 2mg about 6 a day. i may be on them forever, but, i am not hurting my lungs and breathing...because i am not inhaling smoke.
hope this helps some of you...good luck, bevann

Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
(male)

jackcc HB User

I'm one of those people who do not think smoking is a chemical addiction. I smoked because I liked to. I smoked three packs a day and smoked all the time. I even smoked while in the shower. I considered it a habit which I liked. It gave me a break from things that were bad, from the cold weather or anything. It just gave me something to do with my hands and kept me busy. I felt "in charge' with myself. I was good at smoking. I could do all the tricks with smoking. I was part of a special crowd..the doers... not one of the "lesser" people. I worked hard and exercised and was in good shape. Most things were accomplished by smokers rather than non-smokers. Doctors told me to quit smoking and I ignored them. I knew better. It was my thing to smoke and I wouldn't be "me" if I didn't. I just kept puffing away. Of course things went downhill. This is just to illustrate that I was a heavy smoker. I quit. When you really want to quit...you'll quit. I wanted to. It took a number of tries and the stop smoking classes were a joke so I had to find another way. My wife and I quit the same way at about the same time. We reduced out smokes per day down to nothing. The we found something to do to take the place of the cigarette and smoking. I used a large bag of jelly beans and she used lemon drops. If we wanted a cigarette we would just suck on the jelly bean or lemon drop. We used a lot of jelly beans and lemon drops. Finally the need to smoke was gone. And we never smoked again. This is one way to quit smoking but the main thing is that you really have to want to quit. Its only hurting you and no one else really cares. Take charge of yourself and stop smoking. You'll be so glad you did.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
(male)

jackcc HB User

I have something to add. Many times after I quit smoking I wanted to light up and smoke. This was triggered by something happening to me at that moment. I wanted to smoke as I had for years. Old habits are hard to break. But I never smoked again and haven't smoked for years. If you're used to smoking when certain things happen, you will feel the desire to smoke again. But you just can't do it. Not even one cigarette or even a puff of another person's cigarette. This feeling will fade with time but I will always be an ex-smoker. I miss the physical act of smoking. But I know that smoking destroys the air sacs in the lungs making them hard and useless. It keeps us from doing the things that should be taken for granted every day that we gradually lose the ability to do. It takes our lives away. Quitting smoking halts or slows that process. You have to really want to stop. No one or no thing is going to stop you from lighting that cigarette and drawing that smoke into your lungs. You......... have to do it. You have to stop smoking.
I could go on and on. I am soooooooooooooo anti-smoking.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
(male)

roughands HB User

i like the breathing through a straw idea, i might have to give that a go

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
(female)

imjensmom HB User

Yes, you still want a cigarette because you haven't quit, simple as that. The only way you're going to get over wanting a smoke is to quit and stay that way. The cravings for a cigarette will go away eventually. One of the best lines I've read is "You just have to want to quit more than you want to smoke" and that really is pretty much the bottom line. I quit five months ago and used Chantix but you know what, I would have used cat food if someone would've told me it would help me quit. That's how much I wanted to quit. Is it easy, no. Is it worth it, absolutely!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
(female)

chris031181 HB User

This is probably not what you're going to want to hear but quitting cold turkey (I believe) is the only way! When I first quit, I said "I will only smoke 1 every hour". Well, that didn't work...Then I tried only smoking 10 a day (I too was smoking a pack a day or more) and that didn't work. I quit cold turkey one day and believe me, it was so hard! That was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and probably will always be! It is a tought thing to get over but seriously after the 1st week, it did get easier! The hard thing is noticing how many people are smoking around you! Its awful but you can do it! Smoking is so bad for you and will make you feel so much better when you can quit all together! Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!!!
Oh- and distance yourself from people around you that smoke, like at work, or in the family or friends. Give it some time and pretty soon you will be fine to be around smokers! It sounds impossible but it worked for me! No, I am not saying that the smell of one is not the greatest smell in the world (ha ha) but things do get easier with time!

Closed Thread